U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,934 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a newbie to the forum, and I'm aware that others have posted similiar posts - but none of them have answered my particular questions - therefore any help/advice anyone could provide would be incredibly appreciated!

Basically, I will be starting my final year at university this coming september. I would have completed a 1 year Industrial Placement,(like a work-experience) in a global online advertising company. They have 3 offices in the US - LA (Santa Monica), New York, and i believe now Chicago.
I have been in the UK since i was 5, and now am 22. - so obviously i know the in's and out's, where to go, what to eat, best place for this, best place for that etc...when it comes to london.

I dont see myself becoming as successful as i want to be..staying in london. as i'm sure you're all aware of the ridiculous house prices, fuel prices, and general inflation - it's almost impossible for someone my age to even get close to the property ladder!

My questions are:
1 - How easy would it be, if i moved from my companies London office to one of the US offices? (preferably LA)

2 - I have only ever been to the US once, and that was to New York - and i loved it, but a bit too......corporate. - Is LA a good place to begin a living for a newly wed husband and wife? family? etc.

3 - What are the prices of your general domestic necessities like? - eg) gas, electricity, water, phone bills etc....

4 - If i move over from work - would i have US Citizenship? How would i go about this?

5 - Will be UK (EU) drivers license be valid over there?

And finally ...........

6 - If anyone has been in my position, or knows anyone who has been in my position......and has gone ahead.....would you recommend the move from UK to US - Pro's Con's etc.......

I genuinly appreciate any help or advice that could be given!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,928 times
Well, I came to London for the first time last fall and just fell in love with that place. It's hard to imagine wanting to uproot and come over to the states, but just a few thoughts.

First, if you are concerned about owning property and starting a family, I'm not sure about recommending L.A. as a first choice. Southern California is gorgeous and fun, everyone is beautiful it seems like, and it has absolutely everything ... including ridiculous property values. I have friends there - we both own similar size homes. Mine in the Midwest cost $100g (and it's awesome, believe it or not), while theirs is valued well over $1m.

But if you love the sun and the beach, then southern California has it. Cost of living is also high there by comparison to most US locations, and prices for most goods/food has been increasing fairly rapidly with inflation brought on by the gas situation. Gas in California is much higher than most anywhere else. Insurance costs - also high. If you like traffic, then you'll just love L.A.

Keep in mind that the lifestyle in L.A. is so dramatically different from London that you can't even really compare the two. American architecture seems masculine and cold to me after comparing it to Europe. But everything here will seem like it is brand new to you (because basically it is ... there isn't much here over a couple hundred years old - at the most).

My advice is to weigh your options carefully. If you earn great money, then either coast in the US is wonderful - and both for totally different reasons.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:42 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
I have quite a few friends who have done the same thing as your going and they love it. They also moved for the oportunites here to get up the latter as you said. Funny thing is they used that exact term. I would suggest that you first approach your employer and they can help with tjhs. Once you get here on a visa you can look into becoiming a citizen. Picking from those cities is very difficlut depending on what you like really.For climate santa Monica is by far the best IMO. Cost wise I would say that New York tops the list ;with california and then chicago.Chicago is nice but most of the midwest is pretty boring IMO. Frankly I can imagine a 1ooK home anywhere in the US that would compare to a Millon dollar home in californaia. 100 K is well below the median for the entire country. I also think that twisterz visited central London as most tourist do and isn't even aware of just the cost of living differences between california and there. Good Luck

Last edited by texdav; 07-11-2008 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfash View Post
Hi,

1 - How easy would it be, if i moved from my companies London office to one of the US offices? (preferably LA)

2 - I have only ever been to the US once, and that was to New York - and i loved it, but a bit too......corporate. - Is LA a good place to begin a living for a newly wed husband and wife? family? etc.

3 - What are the prices of your general domestic necessities like? - eg) gas, electricity, water, phone bills etc....

4 - If i move over from work - would i have US Citizenship? How would i go about this?

5 - Will be UK (EU) drivers license be valid over there?

And finally ...........

6 - If anyone has been in my position, or knows anyone who has been in my position......and has gone ahead.....would you recommend the move from UK to US - Pro's Con's etc.......

I genuinly appreciate any help or advice that could be given!!

Thanks!
In Los Angeles, as said before, Traffic is terrible, houses are horridly expensive etc. I would recommend Chicago because it is the cheapest, has the best schools, and Soccer (football) is huge there and it is not boring, that's just a stereotype for the Midwest.

Gas in, Chicago atleast, is still half the price of British gas and everything else is cheap.

You wouldn't automatically have citizenship until you go through a class about American History and take a citizenship test, though that means you'll lose your British citizenship.

I don't think you're drivers license will work here, you may have to take another class and another test.

One pro I can name about the US is that everything is way cheaper here. I had a teacher from Scotland and she said that people in the UK dont go out to eat much because its all so expensive, here you could feed a family of 4 for about 30 to 40 pounds in a none drive through.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
You need to check with some more knowledgeable sources than us about the citizenship. Go Ne is right about the classes and test, and I think there is a certain residency requirement as well. You may have a hard time getting a job as a non-citizen. Check that out too, before you get off the plane in LA or Chicago.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 31,364 times
I moved from the UK to US 2 years ago. I do know the answer to some of your questions.

You wouldn't be given US Citizenship immediately. You have to live here as a permanent resident for 2 years. After those 2 years you can choose wether to remain a US resident on a visa that will last 10 years, or apply for Citizenship. If you do decide to become a US Citizen it will NOT effect your English Citizenship like someone posted. It basically means the US will no longer recognise you as an English Citizen residing in the US and will just recognise you as a US Citizen. If you decide to go back to England you will still have Citizenship and everything will be fine. But if you move and live in England, you can possibly lose your US Citizenship. Also there is no test to become a US Citizen... You just go to an interview and they decide. If you decide you would like to remain a resident, then thats also fine, you are given a ssn and a greencard and will have no problems finding work. The only thing you CANT do in the US as a non-Citizen is vote.

Your English drivers licence will be good over here for 1 year. after that you have to obtain a state drivers licence, which is **** easy, you won't belive the people they let drive over here. You won't need to go through any training and the process will be speeded up as you hold a English drivers licence. You can just go sit down and take the theory test there and then and call someone the same day to arange your practical test. If you fail any of them it's not like England where you will wait 3 months to do it again, you can basically just arange it straight away.

Now LA is crazy expensive on everything you named above, i lived there for 6 months before moving back to Michigan. The traffic is ridiculous... But if you want warm weather all year round and sandy beaches, it would be the place to go. In terms of cost of living i would say Chicago would be your best bet.

I would definitely recomend you move out to the US if you are given the oppertunity. Even if you don't decide to permanently live out here it will be a great experience for you an your family. You never know, this oppertunity could never arise again.

Last edited by kevb87; 07-12-2008 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-28-2008, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS DO IT BECAUSE I MOVED FROM LONDON TO THE US FOR MY MUMS JOB AND IM NOW IN HIGH SCHOOL ITS A GREAT OPPURTUNITY AND ID NEVER GO BACK FOR GOOD I JUST GO BACK FOR VACATION AND I MOVED HERE TO CHICAGO 2 YEARS AGO AND IM STILL HERE SO I GUESS ALL MUST BE GOOD IM JUST VERY AMERICANISED BUT I KNOW DEFINATLY YOU CANNOT GET A US CITIZENSHIP UNLESS YOU HAVE A VISA WHICH HAS TO BE RENEWED EVERY 3 YEARS AND ALSO TO GET A US CITIZENSHIP YOU HAVE TO BE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FOR AT LEAST 10 YEARS TO OBTAIN THAT WHICH ISNT A GOOD THING BUT THAT THE RULES SO I GUESS YOU HAVE TO LIVE BY THEM. i ALSO KNOW THAT YOU CAN TRANSFER YOUR LICENSE AS MY PARENTS DID ALL YOU CAN DO IS WHEN YOU COME HERE YOU HAVE 6 MONTHS BEFORE THE LICENSE EXPIRES AND THEN YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE DMV AND TAKE A 21 QUESTION TEST AND A DRVING TEST AND THEN YOU GET YOUR AMERICAN LICENSE BUT MAKE SURE YOU STUDY THE RULES OF THE ROAD AS MY PARENTS AND I HAD TO CAUSE ITS WAYYY DIFFERNT FROM THE LONDON RULES AS MY PARENTS QUICKLY FOUND OUT AND SO DID I WHEN WE WERE DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD LOL! BUT TP END THIS SHORT AND SWEET DEFFO MOVE TO AMERICA ITS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPURTUNOTY ANDI HAVE LIVED IN LONDON MY WHOLE LIFE AND WOULD NEVER GO BACK AFTER MOVING HERE SO MOVE AFTER YOU GRADUATE!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 PM

32,322 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Tyrone, coincidence. My cousin from London moved to Chicago a few years ago as well. Of course, he's about 10 years older than you. And he loves it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.