U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City(Cities) is/are Most Overhyped on This Forum? Why?
Atlanta, GA 30 16.76%
Charlotte, NC 20 11.17%
Chicago, IL 36 20.11%
Des Moines, IA 4 2.23%
Houston, TX 38 21.23%
Los Angeles, CA 23 12.85%
Louisville, KY 6 3.35%
New York City, NY 29 16.20%
Oil City, PA 11 6.15%
Omaha, NE 52 29.05%
Raleigh/Durham, NC 8 4.47%
Saint Louis, MO 1 0.56%
Scranton, PA 25 13.97%
Other (Please Specify Below) 7 3.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:02 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,208,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Austin is overhyped - many people mention it first when they think of moving to Texas, because they've heard it's cool (most of the time without knowing why). Many times people move there and find out they'd rather be in Houston or my home, Dallas. They are true big cities with all the jobs and amenities of such whereas Austin is really sort of a big small town. Don't get me wrong, everyone in Texas (except aggies) loves Austin. And it's a really great place to visit!

* careful, Texans can criticize other Texas cities and engage in raucous rivalries, but don't any outsiders dare to dis anything in Texas!
Agreed. Austin always struck me as being an overrated kind of place compared to the other three cities in Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,789,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Coming from you, what a surprise.

Care to mention, for once, why exactly other than

- You hate it
- You hate it
- You just hate it. Because you just do. Because. It's in TX and the South
- ???
Coming from me? LOL. Why don't I like it? The humidity. The bugs. The pollution. The lack of mountains. The sprawl. What exactly is there to like about it?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 PM

30,213 posts, read 67,358,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LOL - I have to say, a little OT, I give you and SWB props for voting for your OWN cities as being overhyped!
If the shoe fits, wear it! I apologize sincerely for being such a pro-Scranton windbag over the years on this forum. It's just that I feel like crying inside to see a city that I've grown to love and call "home" declining incessantly.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,879,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Coming from me? LOL. Why don't I like it? The humidity. The bugs. The pollution. The lack of mountains. The sprawl. What exactly is there to like about it?
I could also add San Diego to the list of overhyped cities on this forum. Why? Because I never met a person with class there, polluted, wildfires every year, sprawl, crappy food, no nightlife, earthquakes. I mean really what is there to like about it unless you are a girlie man surfer or valley girl?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:37 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,178,542 times
Quote:
Austin is overhyped - many people mention it first when they think of moving to Texas, because they've heard it's cool (most of the time without knowing why). Many times people move there and find out they'd rather be in Houston or my home, Dallas. They are true big cities with all the jobs and amenities of such whereas Austin is really sort of a big small town. Don't get me wrong, everyone in Texas (except aggies) loves Austin. And it's a really great place to visit!

* careful, Texans can criticize other Texas cities and engage in raucous rivalries, but don't any outsiders dare to dis anything in Texas!
Austin is overhyped everywhere... especially in national publications. I've lived there. Totally overrated unless you're a college student. I question the "live music capital" claim as well. Many Austinites claim it's so much better than it actually is. Tries too hard to be "cool." Nice place, but overrated.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,178,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Because it seems almost every other post of yours is dogging Houston. Yet you've never lived there (Dallas doesn't count).

The things you mention are problems in lots of cities. Though I don't consider lack of mountains a problem. What you fail to consider are all of the positives... the positives that come along with being the nation's 4th largest city (arts/culture/restarants/shopping), having virtually no winter, being close to water recreation, good local economy, diversity, and a decent cost of living (many of those who don't like the "sprawl" can actually afford to live within the Loop near downtown).

Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Agreed. Austin always struck me as being an overrated kind of place compared to the other three cities in Texas
Three ????
San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas.........
You forgot, Fort Worth, El Paso, and...... oh nevermind

Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,583,468 times
Hmm now I see I was getting JJP mixed up with JJG -- howdy, y'all!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Then JMT doesnt help either

Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Quote:
Hmm now I see I was getting JJP mixed up with JJG -- howdy, y'all!
And a Big DFW howdy to you, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or