U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City(Cities) is/are Most Overhyped on This Forum? Why?
Atlanta, GA 30 16.76%
Charlotte, NC 20 11.17%
Chicago, IL 36 20.11%
Des Moines, IA 4 2.23%
Houston, TX 38 21.23%
Los Angeles, CA 23 12.85%
Louisville, KY 6 3.35%
New York City, NY 29 16.20%
Oil City, PA 11 6.15%
Omaha, NE 52 29.05%
Raleigh/Durham, NC 8 4.47%
Saint Louis, MO 1 0.56%
Scranton, PA 25 13.97%
Other (Please Specify Below) 7 3.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:50 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,208,005 times

Advertisements

Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,793,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Look at his post history and you'll see.
I just put Houston. Then I was asked why (by you I believe). When I list the reasons, I'm attacked, and in a personal way as opposed to a discussion on the cities. I'm not a hater of anything not California. I like Austin. I love numerous cities outside of California (NYC, Chicago, DC, Denver, Portland, Seattle, just to mention a few) and numerous states other than California (Oregon, Colorado, Utah, Montana, just to mention a few). I personally fail to see what's so great about Texas when there are these other options in this country. You are free to disagree with me, but I don't see why you would care. If Houston is so terrific for you, great. I like to ski. I love to surf. I love to run/bike/hike outside year round. I love mountains. I love the ocean. I hate bugs and muggy weather. I have valid reasons why Houston isn't my cup of tea. It may have great attributes for certain people, but I've yet to understand them beyond cheap cost and/or business opportunities.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM

46,985 posts, read 37,115,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
NYC is the best city in the world.
And also the most overhyped.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Not just Charlotte, but anything in North Carolina.
I don't see Charlotte getting that much hype. Can you explain??

Old 07-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
i think austin spends too much time trying to be californian

i laughed in the face of an austinite who once told me his town was exactly like san francisco without the fog and hills
Oh, now they have hills in Austin. Downtown is on the edge of the Texas Hill Country. But I actually agree with you, in part, about the city trying to be "Californian". I won't love it any less because of that.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,646,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Houston.
Explain please.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Austin is overhyped - many people mention it first when they think of moving to Texas, because they've heard it's cool (most of the time without knowing why). Many times people move there and find out they'd rather be in Houston or my home, Dallas. They are true big cities with all the jobs and amenities of such whereas Austin is really sort of a big small town. Don't get me wrong, everyone in Texas (except aggies) loves Austin. And it's a really great place to visit!

* careful, Texans can criticize other Texas cities and engage in raucous rivalries, but don't any outsiders dare to dis anything in Texas!
Good points, Lakewooder. And you are right about the outsiders. They're the ones that are missing out on all the good stuff.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:46 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I just put Houston. Then I was asked why (by you I believe). When I list the reasons, I'm attacked, and in a personal way as opposed to a discussion on the cities. I'm not a hater of anything not California. I like Austin. I love numerous cities outside of California (NYC, Chicago, DC, Denver, Portland, Seattle, just to mention a few) and numerous states other than California (Oregon, Colorado, Utah, Montana, just to mention a few). I personally fail to see what's so great about Texas when there are these other options in this country. You are free to disagree with me, but I don't see why you would care. If Houston is so terrific for you, great. I like to ski. I love to surf. I love to run/bike/hike outside year round. I love mountains. I love the ocean. I hate bugs and muggy weather. I have valid reasons why Houston isn't my cup of tea. It may have great attributes for certain people, but I've yet to understand them beyond cheap cost and/or business opportunities.
Austin has tons of bugs and muggy weather, I think it goes deeper than that for whatever reason.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,473,130 times
Oil City, you baited me, I had to vote.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM

415 posts, read 391,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok it's the 4th most polluted city for ozone, nothing to brag about.
Thanks for proving my point that it is sprawled out. It has a lower population density than most of the metro areas listed above it and is bigger than several of them despite Houston's lower population. LA is only 400 sq miles larger yet has 3x the population.
not really but I wouldn't expect someone who can't even get into a bar or club to know anything about nightlife.
Yeah Houston is in a swamp and gets hit by hurricanes and tropical storms, which CA does not get. And despite Rita not actually hitting Houston 31 deaths still occurred from the evacuation and cleanup. That is so pathetic, you didn't even get hit by the storm and still had deaths.
oh my god, you have lakes and parks!! wow, that makes Houston the only place in the country with those. And you have arts, culture, and museums just like every other big city, big deal..... and waterparks too, gee I bet no other city has waterparks. It's so funny and pathetic to see people from Houston try to boast about the crap they have that pretty much most major cities have, there is nothing special or unique about any of that crap you listed.

WOW, you have malls too???!! I'm so impressed. who cares about some stupid mall? but you're a teenager and there is probably nothing else to do in Houston, especially outside with all the heat and humidity, so I guess malls is a big deal to you and others in Houston.

pretty ironic coming from someone who doesn't know the differences in how to measure population growth.
What an idiotic post. I have nothing else to say, especially the bolded part. I knew someone who died in the car while trying to evacuate. You're such a great person. Ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or