U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City(Cities) is/are Most Overhyped on This Forum? Why?
Atlanta, GA 30 16.76%
Charlotte, NC 20 11.17%
Chicago, IL 36 20.11%
Des Moines, IA 4 2.23%
Houston, TX 38 21.23%
Los Angeles, CA 23 12.85%
Louisville, KY 6 3.35%
New York City, NY 29 16.20%
Oil City, PA 11 6.15%
Omaha, NE 52 29.05%
Raleigh/Durham, NC 8 4.47%
Saint Louis, MO 1 0.56%
Scranton, PA 25 13.97%
Other (Please Specify Below) 7 3.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,789,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I don't see Charlotte getting that much hype. Can you explain??
Just look at just about every state forum, and you will see a whole swarm of malcontents making statements like "tired of the RUDE PEOPLE, MOVING TO CHARLOTTE IMMEDIATELY!". No matter what their problem is, Charlotte is the place to escape it! No not just on the Florida and New Jersey forums but almost all of them except for the Tennessee and maybe Texas forum. It's not really hyped on the general US forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 3 days ago)

46,879 posts, read 37,047,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Just look at just about every state forum, and you will see a whole swarm of malcontents making statements like "tired of the RUDE PEOPLE, MOVING TO CHARLOTTE IMMEDIATELY!". No matter what their problem is, Charlotte is the place to escape it! No not just on the Florida and New Jersey forums but almost all of them except for the Tennessee and maybe Texas forum. It's not really hyped on the general US forum.
Ohhh. Okay.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:47 PM

30,208 posts, read 67,358,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I don't see Charlotte getting that much hype. Can you explain??
For me it's that most people in NC have a chip on their shoulder. Say anything even modestly unflattering about Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Asheville, etc., and be prepared to face backlash unlike any you've ever seen, even if you attempt to do so in a constructive manner. They're almost as crazy as the NJ forum in how they will sit there and whine about the problems in their own state, but when someone who is an "outsider" chimes in they put aside their differences temporarily to scare him/her off.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,171,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
For me it's that most people in NC have a chip on their shoulder. Say anything even modestly unflattering about Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Asheville, etc., and be prepared to face backlash unlike any you've ever seen, even if you attempt to do so in a constructive manner. They're almost as crazy as the NJ forum in how they will sit there and whine about the problems in their own state, but when someone who is an "outsider" chimes in they put aside their differences temporarily to scare him/her off.
I'm going to chime in and say that I am not one of these people But I do agree with much of what you're saying. Some people in our local forums are very protective and will not hesitate to tell someone to go back where they came from if they say the wrong thing. A lot of the complaining, though, does come from people who are moving in from other areas....stuff like, "Oh, this is how it was in so and so state," and "I wish we had this kind of food here like we did in so and so city". I think a lot of people are moving from other areas, destressing, taking pride in the area and gaining that very strong defense mechanism. I assure you that in face-to-face conversations, most people are not like this in my area!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:11 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
What an idiotic post. I have nothing else to say, especially the bolded part. I knew someone who died in the car while trying to evacuate. You're such a great person. Ignore list.
great! b/c I'm tired of you chiming anyways every time I say something about Texas that you don't agree with.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,178,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Explain please.
Yes, please do.

All these votes for Houston (mostly from people on the east or west coast) and I've yet to see a compelling explanation as to why. From anyone.

Could probably say the same for Chicago, which has recently racked up lots of votes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or