Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City(Cities) is/are Most Overhyped on This Forum? Why?
Atlanta, GA 30 16.76%
Charlotte, NC 20 11.17%
Chicago, IL 36 20.11%
Des Moines, IA 4 2.23%
Houston, TX 38 21.23%
Los Angeles, CA 23 12.85%
Louisville, KY 6 3.35%
New York City, NY 29 16.20%
Oil City, PA 11 6.15%
Omaha, NE 52 29.05%
Raleigh/Durham, NC 8 4.47%
Saint Louis, MO 1 0.56%
Scranton, PA 25 13.97%
Other (Please Specify Below) 7 3.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
I hear that!!! Wonder how long it takes to get this list published?
Here it is.
GaWC - Inventory of World Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
While interesting, that is still not an "official" list. It's just a list made up by a few brainiacs. No more, no less. There's nothing official about it.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
people really need to READ THE QUESTION.

"WHICH CITY IS TOO OVERHYPED ON THIS FORUM", not "WHICH CITY DO I HATE".

Given that, how can you NOT vote for Omaha, especially lately?
Also, how can people really say a city is "overhyped" if they've not had much experience with it? I noticed most of the voters for Houston have never even lived in or near it. Many never even lived near TX. I think they're going off media portrayals, stereotypes, or experience from driving through town on the freeways on some random occasion. Not the way to give a really truthful opinion IMO...

Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 AM

98 posts, read 113,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
NYC, the statement alone proves me right.
It probably is the best city in the world.

What's the big fuss? Get over it.

And why is Omaha winning? I don't remember ever seeing Omaha mentioned here before.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Also, how can people really say a city is "overhyped" if they've not had much experience with it? I noticed most of the voters for Houston have never even lived in or near it. Many never even lived near TX. I think they're going off media portrayals, stereotypes, or experience from driving through town on the freeways on some random occasion. Not the way to give a really truthful opinion IMO...
We're going by C-D forum. Which city is the most overhyped IN THIS FORUM? The problem with this poll is that it is superficial, and at the same time you have to make the decision whether the hype is really worth it and how the members from there project it based upon their claims/statements, opinions, facts and overall significance in a response to an OP, but that's how polls go on here. (Just remember...city data represents a small subset of the population.)

Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times
Detroit MI !!

there seems to be a new thread bashing Detroit and/or MI starting almost every week !!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Also, how can people really say a city is "overhyped" if they've not had much experience with it?
we're going by this board alone. not to bash omaha, but seriously, the amount of press this city is getting....ON THIS FORUM..... is way out of proportion with its standing (for lack of a better term) in this country.

Quote:
I noticed most of the voters for Houston have never even lived in or near it. Many never even lived near TX. I think they're going off media portrayals, stereotypes, or experience from driving through town on the freeways on some random occasion. Not the way to give a really truthful opinion IMO...
you can substitute LA, NYC, Chicago for Houston and you'd have the same argument. Houston is NOT unique in this regard.

I approach these discussions like this: you can immediately zero in on posters who have nothing but an ax to grind and only post untruths, exaggerations or continually perpetuate stereotypes. then there are others who legitimately don't like a place after several visits or by living there, but can express WHY with tact and facts, and realize that a certain place wasn't for THEM without having to resort to the oh so popular "X sucks". the latter are the people I "listen" to.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
We're going by C-D forum. Which city is the most overhyped IN THIS FORUM? ...
Yes I know... but when you're really not very familiar with a city, how can you judge if it's overhyped (on this forum or otherwise?) That was my point.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Yes I know... but when you're really not very familiar with a city, how can you judge if it's overhyped (on this forum or otherwise?) That was my point.
I totally agree, but then there wouldn't be any polls. I think most people have an opinion of a place without living it, visiting it, or seeing it and while it's unfair, I think it's natural, because opinions are based on our innate preferences, (similar) experiences and superficial perception.

200th post, baby!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
I think you answered your own question. If there's a city that you don't know much about because in the real world you never hear about it--such as Omaha--but then in this forum the city is constantly talked about and built up as being sooo wonderful, you've got a city that is being overhyped in this forum.

I honestly don't know how anyone can say that NYC, LA or Chicago are being overhyped in this forum. They're BIG cities that are talked about CONSTANTLY in the mass media and in pop culture, and so of course they'll also be talked about in this forum. But a place like Omaha is disproportionately talked about in this forum which makes it overhyped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.