U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:59 PM

976 posts, read 1,879,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
We are lucky to have so many great hospitals and different cities they exist in.

Any one of these will have excellent care - some will outscore others in speficic specialties but probably the most prominent would be in no particular order:

Baltimore
NYC
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Boston
Minneapolis
Cleveland
Houston
Chicago
LA
saint louis is conspicuously left off this list. barnes-jewish/washington university medical center ranks among the top 10 in the country in just about every single category, far above hospitals in some of the other cities you listed. not to mention wash. u. medical school consistently ranks among the top 5 in the usa. the medical community here is absolutely top tier. i'm from philadelphia, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,605,931 times
I'm from Pittsburgh but a friend I met here works at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. She said that they are adding a brand new 600 bed wing to the hospital right now. Their clientele comes from all over the world.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,605,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ead462 View Post
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation - Cleveland, Ohio

Known for it's outstanding Cardiac Care Dept. among other specialities and one of the top hospitals overall in the U.S. Also, there is a Cleveland Clinic Hospital location in Florida! My family has received the majority of our care at the Clinic and know first hand of it's excellence!
Cleveland Clinic has performed miraculous transplant surgeries and many firsts in that field. One of my patients who I took care of right after the traumatic injury occurred, eventually went on to Cleveland Clinic for reconstructive surgery.As a nurse you can't help but carry your patient's burdens along with you, especially when you witness that level of injury. I was overwhelmed with happiness for that patient when I saw the transplant result . God Bless Cleveland Clinic

Old 08-04-2010, 09:27 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,534,266 times
Boston is probably the ultimate medical city in the US, but great hospitals are found all over the country, so there are great career opportunities pretty much everywhere. Depending on your specialty and what type of surgeon you plan on being, you can do some research and look at rankings and see what hospitals are the best in your particular specialty.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM

97 posts, read 376,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, I was just driving by the Illinois Medical District the other day. That new Rush expansion is HUGE. The metro as a whole has 140 hospitals/health care organizations with over 100,000 employees and 26,000 hospital beds.

Member institutions of the Illinois Medical District itself include:

John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
Rush University Medical Center
University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago
Jesse Brown VA Medical Center
Ruth M. Rothstein CORE Center
Chicago Lighthouse
Hektoen Institute
Illinois State Police Forensic Science Center at Chicago
West Side Center for Disease Control
Chicago Department of Public Health

The IMD:

* consists of 560 acres
* houses 2,200 hospital beds
* has 20,000 employees
* receives 75,000 visitors daily
* is the nationís largest urban medical district
* holds the nationsí largest college of medicine (UICís College of Medicine)
* is the State of Illinoisí largest biotechnology/medical complex
* is an economic engine for statewide biotechnology
* provides incubation for approximately 30 emerging technology-based companies

The IMD generates:

* $220 million approximately in research annually
* $3.3 billion in economic activity
* 50,000 direct and indirect jobs
* $80 million in annual state taxes
* $34 million in annual local taxes
* $2 billion in direct and indirect employment compensation
I don't like quoting long posts, and this certainly isn't a pissing contest...but to give people an idea of of how large the Texas Med. Center is in Houston compared to other centers across the country, such as the above, TMC has

- 49 member institutions
- 94k jobs vs. 20k above
- 160k daily visitors vs. 75k above
- $1.2 billion in annual research vs. $220 million above
- It's 31 million gross square feet would make it the 12th largest "business district" in the US - i.e. if it was considered a typical "downtown" for a city, it would be the US' 12th largest
- 1,000+ acres vs. 560 acres above (i.e. - approx. the size of Chicago inside the loop)
- $14 billion annual impact vs. $3.3 billion above

It is the world's largest medical center...so when one says, as above that the IMD (Illinois Medical District) is the "nation's largest urban medical district" one can only guess they aren't including the Texas Med. Center as urban, or as a district...which is obviously semantics.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,435,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Currently, I'm am attending college at Princeton University and I am currently taking classes to become a Surgeon. Which cities in the US are the best for medicine?
Houston, Texas.This city has the Texas Medical Center, the world's largest medical center, and called "The Silicon Valley of Biomedical"

Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
saint louis is conspicuously left off this list. barnes-jewish/washington university medical center ranks among the top 10 in the country in just about every single category, far above hospitals in some of the other cities you listed. not to mention wash. u. medical school consistently ranks among the top 5 in the usa. the medical community here is absolutely top tier. i'm from philadelphia, btw.

Well I also left off some others, more my point was there really are a plethora of great hospitals accross the country, and that facility is also excellent in St Louis - no harm meant and great facility you pointed out

Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,028,604 times
Minneapolis/Rochester MN (Mayo Clinic)
Cleveland (Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals)
Baltimore (John Hopkins)
Los Angeles (UCLA)
Boston
Raleigh-Durham
NYC

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,484,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna044 View Post
Boston has Long Wood Medical Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Children's Hospital, Dana-Faber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical etc. These are some of the best hospitals in the world.

Mass General Hospital is another one.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Minneapolis/Rochester MN (Mayo Clinic)
Cleveland (Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals)
Baltimore (John Hopkins)
Los Angeles (UCLA)
Boston
Raleigh-Durham
NYC
Yes and you also forgot

Philly (PENN, CHOP (Rated #1 in 22 of 24 pediatric categories and #2 on the other 2, by far the single highest rated specialty hospital in the world), Jefferson, Temple, Hahneman, Wills Eye, St Christophers, Fox Chase)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or