U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,062 times

Advertisements

MOVE TO CHARLOTTE...IS ALOT CLEANER...Hello,

I am in a little bit of a bind, I have a job offer for a position in Charlotte. I am expecting a job offer for a position in California (San Jose area). The position in California will be a higher level of responsibility, in a prestigious company that would look very good on my resume. I think both have excellent opportunities for growth. The salaries are comparable for both areas, I would be making about 125% more in California than I would in Charlotte, but I am sure I will be spending it all to live there. I have visited Charlotte, I absolutely loved the area. I thought it was beautiful and a great place to raise my son. I have no family or friends in Charlotte, but I do have family in Atlanta (3 hours away). I have not been to this particular area of California. However, I know the person that I would be reporting to very well. I have family in Los Angeles and San Diego.

I don't know what to do. I have to make a decision because I can't leave the position in Charlotte hanging forever. I think that I would be happy in either place. Oh... if it helps any, I currently live in Ohio and most of my family is here. I don't have to worry about parents, both are deceased. My only sibling lives in California, he is my half brother, we are not that close.

What would you do?[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,056,192 times
Comparable salaries no question;north carolina. Although I thnik some of the home comparison made are alittle off.If money were no question I would say San Jose. California is like NY city. A great place to live in if you are rich. If you middle class or below there is alot more for your money else where.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:42 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,320,067 times
Depends on what you & your child want to be exposed to. In San Jose/Bay Area you can be sure people will be much more tolerant of others\ environmentally-conscious\ culturally diverse\ good food\ nicer climate\ progressive thinking\ better educated\ less religious\ more relaxed than Charlotte.

Charlotte is a nice city that I expect to visit again some day, but any state that can elect a Jesse Helms as their U.S. senator scares the willies out of me & would make me think twice about ever living there.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:25 PM

21,650 posts, read 30,282,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
Hello,

I am in a little bit of a bind, I have a job offer for a position in Charlotte. I am expecting a job offer for a position in California (San Jose area). The position in California will be a higher level of responsibility, in a prestigious company that would look very good on my resume. I think both have excellent opportunities for growth. The salaries are comparable for both areas, I would be making about 125% more in California than I would in Charlotte, but I am sure I will be spending it all to live there. I have visited Charlotte, I absolutely loved the area. I thought it was beautiful and a great place to raise my son. I have no family or friends in Charlotte, but I do have family in Atlanta (3 hours away). I have not been to this particular area of California. However, I know the person that I would be reporting to very well. I have family in Los Angeles and San Diego.

I don't know what to do. I have to make a decision because I can't leave the position in Charlotte hanging forever. I think that I would be happy in either place. Oh... if it helps any, I currently live in Ohio and most of my family is here. I don't have to worry about parents, both are deceased. My only sibling lives in California, he is my half brother, we are not that close.

What would you do?
Write down the pros and cons about both places, go visit each place. For me it would be easy, North Carolina of course, but all places are not for everyone. Get all the information you can about each place, make a wise decision.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 AM

486 posts, read 885,635 times
Cool Update

North Carolina is out. We could not agree on the salary. They wanted to bring me there for exactly what I made in Ohio last year. I live in a much smaller city, the cost of living is lower here. Since I am in a position where I want to move, not need to move I decided to pass. California is still on the table. I have my first detailed conversation about the position today. If everything works out, that's where I'll be. Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,798,262 times
The cost of living in California is exorbitant. What's more, the current governmental approach to business doesn't make me particularly optimistic.

According to the Commerce Department, 60% of the country's growth from now through 2025 will take place in the six states of the Southeast. I think North Carolina's the better long-term bet.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM

32,403 posts, read 55,259,547 times
Visit San Jose and see if you can picture yourself living there. The Bay Area is a lot of fun to live in but its not cheap.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,008,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
and illegal immigration affects your daily life how?
Don't forget the Same-Sex Marriage argument on how it affects straight people's marriages and their daily lives. They seem cut from the same cloth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or