U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 AM

343 posts, read 846,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
sav858, is going to a UC school still cheaper than going to a private school which is generally $35,000 plus dollars? Is the value still there for CA residents to stay in state or has it become just as expensive as a place like Harvard? I have three kids going into college within the next six years so it is going to get very expensive and I am wondering if the UC's are still a better value despite the increased costs. I realize places like Westwood, Berkley, and La Jolla where UC's are located are VERY expensive communities to live.

There is no better public higher educational system than the University of California. And while the cost of UC tuition is oppressive and certainly unfair, the quality is worth the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,289,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
There is no better public higher educational system than the University of California. And while the cost of UC tuition is oppressive and certainly unfair, the quality is worth the price.
Thanks for the advice. I see your from Philadelphia. Were you a CA resident and have now moved to Philly after college or did you have to pay out of state tuition? I know the out of state tuition is substantially higher.

By the way, are the size of UC schools overwhelming or do most students find a smaller group of friends within the school?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,949 times
Quote:
sav858, is going to a UC school still cheaper than going to a private school which is generally $35,000 plus dollars? Is the value still there for CA residents to stay in state or has it become just as expensive as a place like Harvard? I have three kids going into college within the next six years so it is going to get very expensive and I am wondering if the UC's are still a better value despite the increased costs. I realize places like Westwood, Berkley, and La Jolla where UC's are located are VERY expensive communities to live.
UCs are MUCH cheaper than ivies. The tuition runs about 8k, and the living depends on the campus.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,320,119 times
UVA and VaTech..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post

Old 07-13-2008, 12:15 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
California certainly has an excellent University system, but I will mention that with 37 million residents, it darn well better.

I mean, if you add up the populations of, say, NC, VA, MD, DE,PA (just going up the east coast here) and throw in, say, RI for good measure, you'd have around the population of CA and a TON of great schools.

So yep, CA is tops, but I don't necessarily know that I'd say they're tops per capita.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:45 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,017,155 times
CA is tops. Other excellent states for public schools IMO.

Virginia (UVA, VA Tech, William and Mary)
North Carolina (UNC, NC State, App State plus good privates like Wake Forest and Duke)
Texas (UT, A&M, Texas Tech plus privates like Rice, Baylor, Southern Methodist)
Florida (UF, Florida St, Miami, UCF, USF, lots of options depending on your field)
Michigan (UM, Mich St)

Old 07-13-2008, 01:40 PM

23,638 posts, read 33,434,470 times
Virginia is my top state. I attend argubably the top COMMUNITY college in the country in Northern VA comm college. Also Virginia has a lot of reasonably priced good public universities (JMU, CNU, ODU, VCU, GMU.) Argubably one of the best HBCUs in the country in Hampton University. and good high-tier universities (william and mary, UVA)

I like NC colleges also because of their wide selection and affordability for in-state students. One thing i dont like about NC colleges is how hard they will grill you to determine if you are an in-state student.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:11 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Quote:
Probably but private schools give out more scholarships and financial aid. I think Stanford recently stopped charging tuition for middle class families making $100k or less a year or something like that. One of my friends turned down UCSD to go to Loyola in NOLA b/c she was offered a scholarship that made it just as cheap to go there, plus the cost of living was a lot lower in New Orleans before Katrina. So it depends on how much financial aid and scholarships the private university is offering. It's not as expensive as Harvard or most private schools, but it's not suppose to be either.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I see your from Philadelphia. Were you a CA resident and have now moved to Philly after college or did you have to pay out of state tuition? I know the out of state tuition is substantially higher.

By the way, are the size of UC schools overwhelming or do most students find a smaller group of friends within the school?
I live in Philadelphia now since I'm in grad school at the University of Pennsylvania. I'm originally from Santa Barbara, CA and lived there for 22 years. I went to UCSB. The size of some UC schools can be overwhelming (i.e. UCLA) but most are smaller than other state schools in other states. Even the people I know who went to UCLA and Berkeley didn't find the size to be a problem.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:39 PM

Number of Public Universities ranked in the top 50 doctoral universities (US News and World Report) by state:

CA: 6
VA: 2
MI, NC, IL, WI, TX, PA, FL: 1
All other states: 0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or