U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,290,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Probably but private schools give out more scholarships and financial aid. I think Stanford recently stopped charging tuition for middle class families making $100k or less a year or something like that. One of my friends turned down UCSD to go to Loyola in NOLA b/c she was offered a scholarship that made it just as cheap to go there, plus the cost of living was a lot lower in New Orleans before Katrina. So it depends on how much financial aid and scholarships the private university is offering. It's not as expensive as Harvard or most private schools, but it's not suppose to be either.
Thanks for the info. I guess our son needs to just apply to the schools he is interested in and then see what kind of offers he gets with financial aid, etc.. to see how the whole thing works out. The first step is getting in, then he is free to choose where he wants to go and really get into the cost stuff vs. quality of school.

Glad to see UC graduates like yourself go on to great graduate schools like University of Pennsylvania also. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:20 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
MASS.-M.I.T., Boston Univ.,Harvard,Mt. Holyoke,Wellesly,Amhearst,UMASS,Tufts,Smith College etc...Massachusetts was the first state i though of.California has many schools but none compare in terms of number qualityOVERALL.
Virginia-UVA,VaTech,Willam & Mary,George Mason Univ.,Hampton Univ.,JAmes Madison,V.M.I.,Washington and Lee etc...

Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM

167 posts, read 412,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
UCs and CSUs definitely are not free. UCs run about 8k per year, and CSUs about 3k.

Plus room and board.
Again, tuition is free. The reason I point this out is Ca. has always had a tuition free policy for its residents which at one time was a great deal but now have gotten around this by imposing these so called "student fees" which have increased 1000% since the 60's. Bottom line is you have to pay these fees to attend college no matter what they call it.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:59 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,841,019 times
California, hands down. So many excellent universities, and so much investment in education. And no, I have no ties to the area whatsoever.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,290,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
Again, tuition is free. The reason I point this out is Ca. has always had a tuition free policy for its residents which at one time was a great deal but now have gotten around this by imposing these so called "student fees" which have increased 1000% since the 60's. Bottom line is you have to pay these fees to attend college no matter what they call it.
Right, but they might as well call it tuition because a $7,542 registration fee is a good amount of money. Add $12,000 to that for room and board on campus and it hardly is "free".

Old 07-13-2008, 06:39 PM

147 posts, read 338,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
California, hands down. So many excellent universities, and so much investment in education. And no, I have no ties to the area whatsoever.
I agree. Proud UCLA grad right here!! But really, if California wasn't at the top I would be atonished. It wasn't until I started attending school that I realized the VAST scope of the educational system in Cali. It is trully remarkable as I think back on it now. If I didn't have other obligations at the present time, how I would love to return to school just to be in that atmosphere again. I can not speak for other schools in Cali, but as for UCLA, there are very fews things that can match it now only in size, but high quality as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or