U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,049,058 times

Advertisements

Inspired by the other thread.

I'm going to say CA. Most states only have one good state school, but CA has several amazing publics, some of which are considered the best schools in the country (Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD). In high school, I was always jealous of CA teenagers because they had so many great schools at in-state rates.

Then aside from that, there are also many top privates (Stanford, USC, the Claremonts). Just by sheer numbers, CA has more universities than any other state.

I'd say 2nd place has to be either NY or VA...maybe PA.

What do you think is the top state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:46 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,068,869 times
The driven state of mind that wishes to learn.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:52 PM

343 posts, read 846,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
What do you think is the top state?
California certainly tops the list for available quality of public higher education. Nearly every school in the UC system is a selective, high-standards research institution. The problem looms that tuition and living costs are astronomical, with little in the way of aid to soften the financial blow. I graduated from UCSB in 2007 and saw some of my classmates exit the university with nearly $30,000 dollars in debt from loans. This is NOT an ideal situation, regardless of the undeniably superior quality of California's universities. Can anyone else name a state with more than 3 quality public universities? UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, and UCSB are ranked in the top 50.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:31 PM

118 posts, read 496,148 times
Mass- MIT, Harvard

NC- UNC, Duke, Wake, etc..

Old 07-12-2008, 08:26 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,727,827 times
It depends on what you're looking for in higher education. For the best combination of high-quality private colleges of various sizes and scopes, and a top public system at an affordable price, I'm leaning toward NC. Ohio and Illinois aren't too shabby in that regard, either. For many highly regarded private schools, MA. For an entire public higher education system that is both high in quality and affordable, there are a number of good possibilities, but the best may be CA. Some other really good ones are NC, Texas, maybe MI, Ohio, and Illinois. New York has a high-quality statewide public college system, but loses out some on cost, as the Northeast in general is not noted for especially inexpensive state colleges.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,413,703 times
All I got to say about the UC system is that if it doesn't make some changes soon it's going to go downhill. There is so much damn waste in the system. My tuition was 50% higher when I graduated than it was when I started. Now it's 100% higher! Tuition has doubled in about 7 years! And it's the same deal with the CA State University (CSU) system, their tuition is double from what it was 7 years ago. Then of course the lazy, do nothing regents claim that the UC system's tuition is below that of other comparable public schools but somehow forget the astronomical cost of living in our state. The top three UC's are all in EXTREMELY expensive areas too; Westwood, Berkeley, and La Jolla. And Irvine, Santa Cruz, and Santa Barbara aren't much cheaper either, if at all.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:34 AM

167 posts, read 412,241 times
I might add that tuition in Ca. is free for the UC and Cal State system colleges. It's the ever rising fees and room and board that has hurt all residents of Ca. that attend college there now.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:36 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,949 times
UCs and CSUs definitely are not free. UCs run about 8k per year, and CSUs about 3k.

Plus room and board.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:45 AM

167 posts, read 457,752 times
I agree. CA doesn't necessarily have a bunch of Ivy League schools like the Northeast, but in general, most in the California State University system (around 15 campuses) are good for MA degrees, and University of California system (around 10 campuses) good for PhDs.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:42 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,860 times
sav858, is going to a UC school still cheaper than going to a private school which is generally $35,000 plus dollars? Is the value still there for CA residents to stay in state or has it become just as expensive as a place like Harvard? I have three kids going into college within the next six years so it is going to get very expensive and I am wondering if the UC's are still a better value despite the increased costs. I realize places like Westwood, Berkley, and La Jolla where UC's are located are VERY expensive communities to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or