U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 PM

11,291 posts, read 7,903,713 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque New Mexico sounds like a great place for you.
The west is still the place for people to get away to.
Elephant Butte Lake just 2 hours south, provides some beach environment
Abq only has very limited victorian homes but you can find everything else.
Its a very unique and refreshing city with excellent weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
kdv kdv started this thread

3 posts, read 6,628 times
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!
I CANNOT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH FOR ANSWERING MY POST!

I'm so flattered that you all took the time to think about my issue. I guess I DID post in the correct spot! Thank-you again! Keep the suggestions coming!

So, it looks like alot of you vote for Denver or Sacramento.... And one of you wrote in that I should just "hit the road" and travel. I perhaps should have put in my first post that I have done some traveling and have been to some of the places that quite a few of you had mentioned. I have been to Arizona (Scottsdale) and I loved it, however, there is no water? Atleast not that I'm aware of?? LOL...
I have been to California but mostly near LA. (Too busy) I don't have much experience in other parts of California. (Venice Beach) Colorado.. I love Boulder, and Denver but again... beach?
Let me clarify some things....
The victorian home is not of upmost importance but I don't want an area full of McMansions.
Yes I HATE rain but I can deal with some rain just shooting for less rain than I get now in Jersey... and snow is tolerable.
I don't want to be isolated, I would like to meet new people my age.
I'm not worried about finding work... I'm in the medical field.
I like to be outside...
Who likes traffic? But I'm 20 minutes from NYC now so I'm used to it.

I like the idea of getting a map and just crossing off places almost as a process of elimination.
....Also I'm intrigued by Maine. Never really thought of that! Anyone with info about Maine or areas of the like please share!
Been to Italy but never Maine...go figure? LOL...

Thank-you again....sooooo much!
This is all so appreciated from the bottom of my heart and I really think this is going to help me!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,723,287 times
Again, I recommend Fresno, it has everything you want and the beach isn't that far away, and Maine would be a good fit too.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,766,047 times
You haven't said how much of a factor cost of living is, or what you want in the way of local community (big city, small city, rural, etc.). Without info on type of local community, it's hard to recommend specific places, but one general area I'd suggest would be the SF Bay area, if the cost of living there wouldn't be prohibitive for you. Not really a four-seasons place, but not the same weather all year either. Coastal location (though the water's cold, if you were thinking about swimming and not just walking on the beach and taking in the scenery), and you're a few hours from great snow country in the Sierras.

Depending on how close to the coast you want to be, inland areas of the Northwest could work. This would be true if you wouldn't mind a trip of several hours to reach the beach. East of the Cascades, there's nothing like the kind of rain they get in the PNW coastal areas. More of a four-season climate in the interior as well, with relatively mild winters for the northerly latitude.

You may need to make some tradeoffs on what you're looking for. If you're ready to consider a climate roughly similar to NJ's, and to take the bugs you find on the east coast as a tradeoff for being close to family and friends, you might check out areas near the coast on Long Island or in southernmost New England. Some of the New England locales may be snowier than New Jersey in their snowiest winters, but the climate is roughly similar. You'll encounter Northeastern reservedness and some snootiness, but not so much of a tough-guy attitude, if that's what you mean by "Jersey" attitude.

Again, if east coast areas, and the accompanying bugginess, could work, I'd suggest Annapolis, if a smaller city would work for you, maybe Newark, DE, if a large town would work, and generally the region around Chesapeake Bay. Somewhat milder summers than inland areas in the Mid-Atlantic, great beaches, some quaint towns and small cities with nice old houses, proximity to larger cities (D.C., Baltimore, Philly), some snow in the winter, but a bit milder winters than most of NJ, and it's a few hour's drive to heavier snow, and skiing/boarding in the mountains.

Last edited by ogre; 07-14-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,766,047 times
Default About Maine . . .

BacktoNE's suggestion that you consider Maine was good. Southern coastal Maine offers a lot of what you're looking for. I live in the Boston area, so I've had the opportunity to spend plenty of time in Maine. I really, really like that state. When I consider your criteria, my one concern about Maine is the climate. It's true, as BacktoNE points out, that the southern coastal section of Maine has milder winters than the rest of the state, but the reality is that even there the winters are a bit colder, and definitley snowier, than those in NJ, except maybe up in NJ's northwestern mountain region. The winters in most of New England kind of drag on for a long time as well. The ocean water in Maine is cold as well, though if you're interested in beautiful beach scenery more than spending hours actually in the water, you can find some really nice beaches in southern Maine, and just to the south in New Hampshire.

You need to consider the climate in Maine realistically. If you could handle more winter than you have in New Jersey, the southern coastal section of Maine could be a really good fit for you. Except for the somewhat more rigorous winters than you've specified as a preference, as Backto points out, the area has everything you've said you're looking for. In that area you'd even have multiple options for transportation back to NJ to visit family and friends, because the Maine coast has Amtrak service as far north as Portland.

Maine is a wonderful state, and you might want to give it serious consideration, but you do need to be realistic about what "relatively mild" winters mean when you're using the rest of Maine as the basis for comparison.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:08 PM

16 posts, read 40,279 times
What size city are you looking for??? I am assuming a larger size.

Also, look for areas that are near large airports if that is important. (Denver, San Diego, San Fran, L.A., etc.

I don't believe the desert lifestyle is for you, I just moved to Scottsdale, and it is way different but doesn't have the home feel to it.

For the States, Oregon or Washington would be out cause of the rain,
Cololardo - Not much for large cities other than Denver, lots of snow but has 4 seasons.
California - Has the weather, cool geography, beach, etc. But high cost of living and hectic in very large cities.
Don't know much about Utah, Nevada, Idaho, but I recommend Sacramento, Denver, San Diego, or maybe even Salt Lake city. I am in the same boat and trying to find my next home out west. Also don't know much about east coast to help there. I believe you are doing the right thing and hope you the best of luck. "No Regrets"

Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,415,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Tripper View Post
What size city are you looking for??? I am assuming a larger size.

Also, look for areas that are near large airports if that is important. (Denver, San Diego, San Fran, L.A., etc.

I don't believe the desert lifestyle is for you, I just moved to Scottsdale, and it is way different but doesn't have the home feel to it.

For the States, Oregon or Washington would be out cause of the rain,
Cololardo - Not much for large cities other than Denver, lots of snow but has 4 seasons.
California - Has the weather, cool geography, beach, etc. But high cost of living and hectic in very large cities.
Don't know much about Utah, Nevada, Idaho, but I recommend Sacramento, Denver, San Diego, or maybe even Salt Lake city. I am in the same boat and trying to find my next home out west. Also don't know much about east coast to help there. I believe you are doing the right thing and hope you the best of luck. "No Regrets"
There are plenty of places in Washington and Oregon that don't rain a lot.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 AM

519 posts, read 1,557,457 times
I will throw in my 2 cents and say California's Central Coast -- Paso Robles, Atascadero or San Luis Obispo.

Paso Robles has a street of Victorian homes (on Vine Street) and every Christmas a Victorian Showcase. The city has 30,000 people, but it is pretty expensive. Hardly any rain, lots of vineyards, 30 minutes to the beach, a few hours from the snow, no Jersey 'tude. If you want a larger city, you might think Ventura or Thousand Oaks or Santa Barbara ($$$$).

Downtown

One of the many Victorian homes

Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 PM
kdv kdv started this thread

3 posts, read 6,628 times
I would love to be able to walk to town on the weekend with my dog in nice weather and see many other people walking there dogs... plenty of coffee places and outside cafes... little pubs and restaurants just humming with people out and about. I always come across these places when I travel but I want to live in this type of community! I think I may start researching Sacramento, Fresno, New England... (Maine). I'm not at all familiar with any of these places. First I have to look on the map and see where they are... JUST KIDDING!! LOL.... Thanks again everyone!!
This is all so helpful!!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 AM

34,754 posts, read 33,810,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdv View Post
Hey everyone!
This is my first time posting and I hope this is the correct place to be asking my questions because I am completely TOSSED at this point!

As it states in my subject line I am so close to opening a map and throwing a dart...wherever it lands is where I will move! However, with my luck the dart will pierce the map sharply somewhere in the sea.

I truly hope to get many responses to this post because the more info I receive from people in various areas is really going to be beneficial to me. So, even If you feel what you have to say isn't much I encourage you to please engage me, I'm desperate to make a desicion and your smallest insight could be my deciding factor.

I live in New Jersey. I have all my life except for one year in Stroudsburg, PA. I am a female, in my mid 30's, a widow, no children. (a puppy!)
I HAVE to get out of here! I feel I'm at a crossroads and something has to happen. I have been thinking about making this move seriously now for about a year and a half and the only thing stopping me is I DON'T know where I want to move to?

I don't know where is good for me?
Where is a place that is going to have what I like?
...Wherever I move... that is all I'm going to have... so It has to be engaging for me.
This is a very scary reality. I am very willing to face it If I feel I have some direction first. Right now, I'm blank.
I'm not working, which I guess could be a good thing right now?

What am I leaving behind?
My mom, in which I see maybe every few months, she lives in another state.
My neice, who I adore, but there are planes.
My BEST FRIEND. Planes. (She has 4 kids) (can she get away?) LOL...
Those are the three big ones.

What am I looking for?
I do love the change of seasons... but winter is not my fav. I'm a sun person. But always wanting to try "new" things... like snowboarding!
So I'm "iffy" on this.
I love big old victorian homes.
I need to feel safe cause I'm alone.
I want to rent, not buy... a house.
I do love the beach.
No Jersey attitude!
(I feel like I'm on a dating site! LOL..)
I don't like bugs
I HATE, HATE, HATE, rain!

I'm tossed again....
So help me out!
As If you can't tell I'm at a loss.
I'm rambling....

You should move to where you have a job. Job first, town second. No respectable place will rent to you without proof of income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or