U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 AM

65 posts, read 102,213 times
Default Move first or get the job first?

We are looking to move. I saw this on a forum and now I can't find it. But do you get the apartment first and then move or the other way around. It seems you can't get one without first having the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 AM

470 posts, read 591,389 times
Unless you have quite a bit of savings or your parents are going to foot your bills. I would recommend finding a job first then moving. Depending on the market that you are planning to move to, it may take a while to find a job. You don't want to be there in an apartment, racking up bills and not having any income.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,645,809 times
I moved first and hoped for a job. But like maaci mentioned about savings, I had a bit of change saved up due to being a tremendous tightwad so I was relatively safe.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:11 PM

65 posts, read 102,213 times
Default job/apt

Are most jobs willing to give you time to find an apt and settle in? I am thinking most jobs would give you the two week peoriod to give your job current notice. But I am thinking most jobs aren't willing to wait 4 weeks to fill a position.
I am thinking we would be at a severe disadvantage by not living in the area to interview. Plus the company would have to wait. We're not high level executives with prestigious resumees.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:20 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,873,336 times
I've always got the job first, then moved. The new employers gave me plenty of time to get moved there, and find an apartment. I'm in a very average, very mundane line of work, where people don't often move far just to find work. So, getting a job and moving wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
The job market seems a bit slow, so I would not recommend moving first. Even in a good job market, I've heard of people having a hard time finding anything. I just depends on your line of work, and where you're moving to.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:23 PM

470 posts, read 591,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Hope View Post
Are most jobs willing to give you time to find an apt and settle in? I am thinking most jobs would give you the two week peoriod to give your job current notice. But I am thinking most jobs aren't willing to wait 4 weeks to fill a position.
I am thinking we would be at a severe disadvantage by not living in the area to interview. Plus the company would have to wait. We're not high level executives with prestigious resumees.

In most salaried positions, it is expected that you give 30 days notice rather than 2 weeks. I have never had a problem. My boss actually gave a 60 day notice when she took a job across country.

Last edited by maaci; 07-13-2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: changed wording

Old 07-13-2008, 03:33 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,394,640 times
I would think it would depend on where you're moving and what industry you're in. My friend just moved to Houston and found a job within three weeks. He works in IT and the economy here is strong.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:36 PM

69,134 posts, read 58,222,176 times
It's possible to move first, IF you have a lot of savings, and IF you don't mind using them up while you job hunt, and I would add, IF you don't have kids to support. Also, IF you are moving to a decent job market. It helps to at least look at the job ads in the city you're moving to.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM

2,293 posts, read 3,955,982 times
I would definately get the job first. All our moves have been done that way, and then you can negotiate to have your employer move you. I would never move somewhere without a job! Too risky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.