U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what state do you live in ?
ALABAMA 3 3.37%
ALASKA 2 2.25%
ARIZONA 3 3.37%
ARKANSAS 3 3.37%
CA 17 19.10%
COLORADO 3 3.37%
CONNECTICUT 3 3.37%
FL 4 4.49%
GA 7 7.87%
HOWAII 1 1.12%
IDAHO 1 1.12%
KANSAS 1 1.12%
KENTUCKY 4 4.49%
LOUISIANA 1 1.12%
MAINE 3 3.37%
MASS 2 2.25%
MICHIGAN 3 3.37%
MINN 2 2.25%
MISSISSIPPI 1 1.12%
MISSOURI 3 3.37%
MONATANA 1 1.12%
NB 4 4.49%
NV 4 4.49%
NH 2 2.25%
NJ 3 3.37%
NM 5 5.62%
NY 3 3.37%
NC 4 4.49%
ND 1 1.12%
OHIO 4 4.49%
OK 2 2.25%
OREGON 3 3.37%
PENN 7 7.87%
RI 2 2.25%
SC 4 4.49%
SD 1 1.12%
UT 1 1.12%
VERMONT 1 1.12%
VIRGINIA 1 1.12%
WASHINGTON 4 4.49%
WV 2 2.25%
WISCONSIN 4 4.49%
WYOMING 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 08:08 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times

Advertisements

No New Yorkers??

Proud NYer here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:11 AM

3,967 posts, read 1,112,182 times
I love living in Oregon. We can be at the beach in about 1.5 hours and in the mountains in about 30 minutes. The climate is very benign, rain in winter and spring, dry and comfortably warm in summer and fall. We live at about 1100 ft elevation so we are out of the valley fog. I like Oregon's political bent, moderately liberal. The people we interact with are friendly but not nosy. We live next to a wonderful river full of fish (I like to fish). My wife and I lean to agnosticism/atheism, and people are okay with that. Religious people seem to be okay with those who don't believe.

Bottom line, Oregon is a comfortable state to live in, I think I'll stay.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:00 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its all a matter of opinion. A good, trained eye and an open mind can find beauty anywhere. Sure, the east doesnt normally have as the elevation nor geographical differences like the West, but there is TONS of beauty to be found in the East.
I think you are right. No one region has cornered the market on scenic beauty and it is what the observer expects and prefers in the way of beauty and scenery. I was raised in the Midwest and there are a certain appeal and quaintness to some places and some downright beautiful spots. To me, the borderlands always held a bit of scenic drama -- river bluffs, mountain slopes and valleys, seashores and beaches. I'm less enthralled by flat prairies or even quaint villages and farm buildings. Missouri is a particularly pretty place because of the Ozarks and the many rivers and valleys.

I moved west, to New Mexico, and found a much grander and less subtle type of scenic beauty. The rugged terrain and the higher elevations coupled with the geologic contrasts, the quality of light, and intense colors appeal to me in an artistic sense more than the Midwest. There is a reason why artists and writers came to New Mexico. I'm a photographer and I'm swept away by the natural beauty of the place.

New Mexico is the fifth largest state but with only 2 million people. Most of the population lives in the Rio Grande Valley. Once away from town you might not see anyone else for hours. (The population swells considerably during Balloon Fiesta in October.) The two longest continuously occupied places in North America are located here. The four-season (high desert) climate is nearly perfect. The cost of living is low. It is a "blue" state and progressive in some areas but woefully behind in others. It has a long and interesting history -- and pre-history. The diversity and unique three-way cultural and linguistic blend in the state is actually something that drew me here originally. On the other hand, there is a certain level of apathy and insularity that can be frustrating at times.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:59 PM

17,681 posts, read 4,066,013 times
I live in Texas.There are so many things I like and love about it.I love that it has the worlds largest population of my fellow church of Christ members and its so strong here.I love the oil and gas industry in the state.I love the oil drilling,plants, and refineries, and pipelines and my fellow oilmen and the oil professionals and roughnecks ..I love the low taxes especially the lack of a income tax.I like the outdoors activities like hunting,camping,shooting,and boating/fishing.I love the strong economy.I love the people.I love the high school football.

I like the Metroplex,El Paso,San Antone/Austin.I also like Abilene,Lubbock,Angelo,Waco and Corpus.I love the conservative politics.I love the Bible Belt nature and mentality and the fracking.I love the food.I love the history of the state.I love the Texas pride and Texas and American patriotism.I like the scenery in a lot of parts of the state.I like Baylor,Lubbock Christian and Abilene Christian,Texas Tech,The Aggies, and the Longhorns.I love the Midland Lee Rebels,the Abilene High Eagles and the Odessa Permian "MOJO" Panthers.I like Midland and Odessa.The hot summers and mild winters and my family and friends and my church family.I also like that it borders New Mexico.There's a lot more im leaving out.I love the Sweetwater Jaycees Rattlesnake Roundup.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:06 AM

6,854 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post

I love the Midland Lee Rebels, and the Odessa Permian "MOJO" Panthers.
I did not think this was humanly possible............To love both of them.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:14 AM

3,601 posts, read 1,195,929 times
Georgia:

*Weather (Sunny, short winters and long but not oppressively hot Summers)
*Low COL
*Tree canopies
*Roads (outside the city of Atlanta proper)
*The vast array of home-grown companies.
*Food
*ATL Airport
*Southern Hospitality

Dislikes

*The political and social power struggle ongoing between natives and transplants, especially around Metro Atlanta. Natives are pushing back and want to keep things the same way they were 50 years ago, while transplants want Atlanta/Georgia to become even more progressive and cosmopolitan. But this is a natural but painful side effect of a fast growing city/state in transition that will eventually pass.

*State/local givernments' inability to proactively build/expand infrastructure to accomodate the growth they're rubber stamping.

*The extremely lopsided growth patterns in Metro Atlanta (perhaps the most lopsided in the US).

Old 02-03-2019, 07:53 AM

3,798 posts, read 3,302,524 times
DC isn’t a state but it’s so fabulous not having a state legislature

Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 AM

17,681 posts, read 4,066,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I did not think this was humanly possible............To love both of them.
True

Last edited by C24L; 02-03-2019 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
I was born in and currently live in New York State.

What do I like about NY?

1. Scenery. NY is one of the most beautiful and varied states in the eastern US. Love mountains? We have them. Dense high hills and narrow valleys? We have them. Rolling hills with sweeping wide open valleys? Got them. Lakes, big and small? Natch. The ocean? Natch again. Stoney beaches AND sandy beaches? Yep. All four distinct seasons? Righto. Some of the US's oldest and most striking cities? Aye. Or heck, maybe you also love vast tracts of farmland, forest and marsh. Got that too.

2. The food. NY has wonderful food from local diners to upscale fancy restaurants. Regardless of what fiscal portion of society you belong too, NY has you covered for great food. My personal favorites are the roadside barbecues, chicken spiedies, and abundant high quality pizza.

3. Safety. Nowhere is perfect, and NY has its crime and urban blight. However, in our modern day NY is overall one of the safest states to live in. With an exception to a LOT of crooked landlords.

4. Speaking freely. In general NY culture does not demand a ton of forced etiquette. Politeness is appreciated by many, but getting to the point and speaking your mind is too.

What do I dislike about NY?

1. Politics. The politics of the state are too one-sided. All blue, all Liberal, all the time.

2. Overly litigious. Can't punch a jerk, you'll get sued.

3. If you smoke or own a gun you are literally Hitler to half of the population.

4. Pretentious culture. This one especially. NY can be as poor, redneck, backwards, inbred, and filthy as any other state in the country. There's no Utopia. Yet culturally there are millions of NY residents, politicians, and media personalities who refuse to accept that any bruise might appear on their precious NY skin.

Let me give you an example, I'm talking about the kind of person who will stand in a ratty upstate NY trailer park while two pregnant women fight over a man behind them and tell you with a straight face that this place doesn't exist in NY.

There's such an atmosphere of denial and delusion here. Putting on airs so people think everything is better than it is. That pretentious denial gets stronger closer to NYC. This is the one thing that flies in the face of the typically free-spoken culture of NY.

5. Wealth disparity. NY is the kind of state where you can find a mansion sitting next to a tar-paper shack. The extremes of both American poverty and wealth exist side by side here, and I can only imagine that's indicative of an underlying problem. It definitely makes median income by county hard to gauge accurately.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:16 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I was born in and currently live in New York State.

What do I like about NY?

1. Scenery. NY is one of the most beautiful and varied states in the eastern US. Love mountains? We have them. Dense high hills and narrow valleys? We have them. Rolling hills with sweeping wide open valleys? Got them. Lakes, big and small? Natch. The ocean? Natch again. Stoney beaches AND sandy beaches? Yep. All four distinct seasons? Righto. Some of the US's oldest and most striking cities? Aye. Or heck, maybe you also love vast tracts of farmland, forest and marsh. Got that too.

2. The food. NY has wonderful food from local diners to upscale fancy restaurants. Regardless of what fiscal portion of society you belong too, NY has you covered for great food. My personal favorites are the roadside barbecues, chicken spiedies, and abundant high quality pizza.

3. Safety. Nowhere is perfect, and NY has its crime and urban blight. However, in our modern day NY is overall one of the safest states to live in. With an exception to a LOT of crooked landlords.

4. Speaking freely. In general NY culture does not demand a ton of forced etiquette. Politeness is appreciated by many, but getting to the point and speaking your mind is too.

What do I dislike about NY?

1. Politics. The politics of the state are too one-sided. All blue, all Liberal, all the time.

2. Overly litigious. Can't punch a jerk, you'll get sued.

3. If you smoke or own a gun you are literally Hitler to half of the population.

4. Pretentious culture. This one especially. NY can be as poor, redneck, backwards, inbred, and filthy as any other state in the country. There's no Utopia. Yet culturally there are millions of NY residents, politicians, and media personalities who refuse to accept that any bruise might appear on their precious NY skin.

Let me give you an example, I'm talking about the kind of person who will stand in a ratty upstate NY trailer park while two pregnant women fight over a man behind them and tell you with a straight face that this place doesn't exist in NY.

There's such an atmosphere of denial and delusion here. Putting on airs so people think everything is better than it is. That pretentious denial gets stronger closer to NYC. This is the one thing that flies in the face of the typically free-spoken culture of NY.

5. Wealth disparity. NY is the kind of state where you can find a mansion sitting next to a tar-paper shack. The extremes of both American poverty and wealth exist side by side here, and I can only imagine that's indicative of an underlying problem. It definitely makes median income by county hard to gauge accurately.

Good Post. I am a NYer as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or