U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what state do you live in ?
ALABAMA 3 3.37%
ALASKA 2 2.25%
ARIZONA 3 3.37%
ARKANSAS 3 3.37%
CA 17 19.10%
COLORADO 3 3.37%
CONNECTICUT 3 3.37%
FL 4 4.49%
GA 7 7.87%
HOWAII 1 1.12%
IDAHO 1 1.12%
KANSAS 1 1.12%
KENTUCKY 4 4.49%
LOUISIANA 1 1.12%
MAINE 3 3.37%
MASS 2 2.25%
MICHIGAN 3 3.37%
MINN 2 2.25%
MISSISSIPPI 1 1.12%
MISSOURI 3 3.37%
MONATANA 1 1.12%
NB 4 4.49%
NV 4 4.49%
NH 2 2.25%
NJ 3 3.37%
NM 5 5.62%
NY 3 3.37%
NC 4 4.49%
ND 1 1.12%
OHIO 4 4.49%
OK 2 2.25%
OREGON 3 3.37%
PENN 7 7.87%
RI 2 2.25%
SC 4 4.49%
SD 1 1.12%
UT 1 1.12%
VERMONT 1 1.12%
VIRGINIA 1 1.12%
WASHINGTON 4 4.49%
WV 2 2.25%
WISCONSIN 4 4.49%
WYOMING 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,247,596 times

Advertisements

I live in Oregon and I love the scenery. There are forests,mountains,deserts and the ocean. There's plenty of water, rivers,creeks and lakes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:00 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I live in Wisconsin and I love the abundance of beauty. I think its funny how when someone mentions Wisconsin they think either Milwaukee or a dairy farm on flat piece of land. Don't get me wrong Milwaukee is nice, the city has really changed for the better in the last 20 years. The dairy farm picture, well we have lots of them. We also have lots of dairy farms nestled into rolling hills. Wisconsin is so much more than cows and beer.
We have the soul cleansing northwoods with cyrstal clear lakes. We have 500' foot bluffs that allow for you to see for miles and miles. We have moraines that edge the vast great lakes. We have the bluffs that drop to the great lakes. We have door county aka the Cape Cod of the Midwest. Wisconsin and the rest of the midwest offer so many different style landscapes it's not even funny.

All the attached thumbnails were taken by me.
then ya gotta tell that to whoever designed your 'cow and cheese' quarter! LOL

Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM

595 posts, read 2,530,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
I've been all over the east. I've also been all over the west. i've lived on both coasts. Anything the east does, the west does better, bigger, and more beautifully. Perhaps this is why the west has nearly a hundred national parks and the east has only 7. Have YOU been to CO, NM, UT, CA, OR, WA. Have you seen Yosemite Falls? Have you been down into the Grand Canyon? Have you hiked the Rocky Mountains? Have you walked on the Oregon beaches? Seen the Redwoods? Perhaps you could name a feature (maybe two) in the east that is as beautiful as these places. I assure you, the Bluegrass country is not.
I've got you're back, buddy.

Here are some from my travels...
(sorry they're so big, I tried to resize them)

Oregon Coast

Lush Oregon

Utah

The Grand Canyon

IMO, the west beats the east when it comes to beauty. Yes, I did love the Smokeys when I was there, but over all, the west is better, I think.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,405,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
then ya gotta tell that to whoever designed your 'cow and cheese' quarter! LOL

This quarter is total BS. Yes dairy is important to us but our state isn't all about Dairy and corn. It should have had a wolf with a some northwoods theme.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 PM

21,635 posts, read 30,238,989 times
I can't vote since Texas is not on the poll. As far as what I like about Texas........not much, maybe seeing it in my rear view mirror on the way to North Carolina

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 07-14-2008 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,786,349 times
I live in California. I like the weather, the diversity of people and topography, the endless things to do and see, the fact that I can spend one weekend skiing and the next surfing, that I can run in the middle of summer and not get sick because of humidity, that I can drive to other western states for vacations, that I can go for hikes every weekend and not get bitten by bugs, SF, SD, Lake Tahoe, drives to Vegas, Yosemite...I'm not a huge fan of LA or the valley areas though.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 PM

104 posts, read 220,571 times
I'm from Alabama (Birmingham suburbs). My favorite part of Alabama is the people. There's a friendly quirkiness. I have a friend, who's into cheer leading and beauty pageants, but hates the social aspects of it (She's in a sorority now and hates the social part there as well; she loves the community service part though.). She (like many of my friends) is interested in writing and liked to use people as bases for characters, be it her crazy, possessive grandmother, or from the stories of my own dearly departed grandparents "Clyde the traveling salesman" or " Mable, the mildly schizophrenic." I have another friend who's going to college on a baseball scholarship; he doesn't like talking about sports and plays the mandolin. I know a guy so afraid of rats that he doesn't like cats (he says they look too much like rats.). I remember traffic slowing when I swung a rubber rat when I was walking home from school. I remember some friends getting up on an elevated part of a coffee shop, after we begged, and singing one of their church songs (and quite well at that) and everyone clapping (granted it was just us and the workers). I have a younger friend who, when she found out we read Crime and Punishment for English class, later went up to the teacher and recommended a better translation. There's a muralist from my church, who likes to dress up with her twin sister to entertain the elderly, that helped me with my Eagle project.

When I came back from my Midwest school for spring break, the Alabama connection kept coming up and it was great having conversations with complete strangers as if they were the cashier at a grocery store. The guy at security was from Wetumpka. The lady in front of me at the Einstein's Bagels in the Detroit was from New York, but had worked on the Alabama board of tourism. She paid with vouchers for my meal as well (If you're reading this, thanks again!); the cashier's mother was from Birmingham as well. Well, after a four hour delay at midnight, they canceled my flight (I hope those guys from Oklahoma found a way to the Vulcan Cup). Since all the taxis were stuck in a storm, all of us on the flight to chat and stuff. I got to meet a guy working at Alabama in the business department, another guy from Huntsville, and a couple going to a funeral (How horrible would that be, stuck in Detroit on your flight to a funeral?). After a couple hours' wait for a taxi, we got to the hotel our vouchers were good for. Guess what. The lady at the counter was from Tuscaloosa! It was nice meeting with her. After getting a glorious two hours of sleep, I went back and got on a plane to Huntsville (The next open plane to Birmingham would have been at least a day. I was towards the last in line for new tickets as I kinda wandered off to record videos of my experience so far, so I could put them up on YouTube later. That idea didn't pan out.). The girl sitting next to me graduated from the college I go to (I DO know someone from Badin! ). I met my parents in the airport, and met a couple they knew from college (Apparently she had to go to the bus stop in one of the hottest Atlanta summers to go to the doctor when she was pregnant when they were younger. Afterwards, he relented and got air conditioning.). They kept joking about when people around the country go to conferences at UAH and can't seem to comprehend how people with deep Alabama accents can be so good at their fields (I don't know whether to laugh or be offended at that.).

In a sense, I like how each of the major metros in Alabama each has a different feel. Huntsville, the youngest to be one of the four big metros, due to NASA, has a very engineering/science orientation. Mobile, the oldest city, is very coastal. Schools get a week off for Mardi Gras (or so I'm told). Montgomery, the capital, is more laid back. Birmingham, has this weird personality. It's a bit of a hidden city. My favorite view coming into the city is going north on the Red Mountain expressway. The city suddenly pops out after you curve through a huge crevice blasted in into the Mountain. Likewise, you have to put a little effort and look; then Birmingham's secrets will open up: the Japanese Garden in the Botanical Gardens, a tour through Sloss furnace (I went there with a tour guide for a creative writing class, so I'm not quite sure if the regular tour is the same or not.), or the many other things (Believe me, there are MANY other things). It's almost as if, we are tired of having to fight off the rest of the country's stereotypes and just hide our city so we don't get ridiculed when we show what is dear to us (Granted, I tend to make stuff up, so this description kinda derailed at a point long ago. I think it's from trying to think up a tale with a watery Mobile-like place, a fiery Birmingham, earthy Montgomery and airy Huntsville.). Even the other metros have unique feels, whether it is the musical Florence or the Wiregrass Dothan. And, except for Auburn and Tuscaloosa, there doesn't seem to be too much of a competitiveness between the regions.

I apologize for my weird mood.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 PM

16 posts, read 40,207 times
I lived in Wisconsin from birth to age 24 and it's cold winters, humid summers. However beauty is there just like all states. I agree with SBCA, you can't beat the West for beauty and I have traveled everywhere. Stunning sights at every corner.

But the original post was what city do you live in and what do you like about it, it's not just about the scenery. I currently live in Phoenix and it has its ups and downs. Scenery is great, lifestyle is unique, but I don't enjoy it enough to stay too long.

However a great city to live in is Madison, WI. It has a huge college which brings many people from all over, they have alot of community events, lots of outdoor activities are supported, mostly biking. Large enough not to be associated with farming or cheese. I lived in Madison for 2 years and will move back in the long future.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:43 AM

538 posts, read 1,659,414 times
I find it interesting that the majority of people are from CA. Is that because we are all looking for somewhere else to live?

I like it here due to great weather, lots to do but it is just too expensive...probably due to great weather, and lots to do.Hmmm...

Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,950,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I find it interesting that the majority of people are from CA. Is that because we are all looking for somewhere else to live?

I like it here due to great weather, lots to do but it is just too expensive...probably due to great weather, and lots to do.Hmmm...
Well I'm FROM Ca but left. I think people are moving around everywhere, to and from Ca and other states as well.
It's not fair to assume that more people are voting on here from Ca, because CA is such a big state and high population. Tx too, but then they couldn't vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or