U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what state do you live in ?
ALABAMA 3 3.37%
ALASKA 2 2.25%
ARIZONA 3 3.37%
ARKANSAS 3 3.37%
CA 17 19.10%
COLORADO 3 3.37%
CONNECTICUT 3 3.37%
FL 4 4.49%
GA 7 7.87%
HOWAII 1 1.12%
IDAHO 1 1.12%
KANSAS 1 1.12%
KENTUCKY 4 4.49%
LOUISIANA 1 1.12%
MAINE 3 3.37%
MASS 2 2.25%
MICHIGAN 3 3.37%
MINN 2 2.25%
MISSISSIPPI 1 1.12%
MISSOURI 3 3.37%
MONATANA 1 1.12%
NB 4 4.49%
NV 4 4.49%
NH 2 2.25%
NJ 3 3.37%
NM 5 5.62%
NY 3 3.37%
NC 4 4.49%
ND 1 1.12%
OHIO 4 4.49%
OK 2 2.25%
OREGON 3 3.37%
PENN 7 7.87%
RI 2 2.25%
SC 4 4.49%
SD 1 1.12%
UT 1 1.12%
VERMONT 1 1.12%
VIRGINIA 1 1.12%
WASHINGTON 4 4.49%
WV 2 2.25%
WISCONSIN 4 4.49%
WYOMING 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,953,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
I think it's very interesting that some pictures of Kentucky were posted, showing no more than some grassy hills and horses, and the post received numerous replies exclaiming extreme and stunning beauty. However, when pictures of the west were posted, showing spectacular images of some of our flagship national parks and physical features, it receives no replies. No admissions of beauty. Could it possibly be that the grand canyon is no more spectacular than horses and grass? Or is it possible that people must find any beauty they can in an entire half of the United States which is sorely lacking.
I've been to the Grand Canyon, amazing. I've been to the Redwood forest, I've been all over the west. I'm from San Diego but I love the greenery of the east. So yes, I think the beauty of Ky with the green grass and horses is much more beautiful than the dry west. But that's just my opinion. It dosn't make it right or wrong, it's mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,006,831 times
Looks like a bit of each state, except for Californians taking over this board!

I live in Colorado and we love the Rockies and the great outdoors, that about sums it up.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:25 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,423,575 times
Quote:
That's rude. All I've done is express my opinion. If you disagree, I'm more than willing to hear your opinion. But I don't really understand the problem of arguing my point of view. Perhaps you could explain this to me, since you seem to have a problem with it.
Dude, everytime someone posts a picture of something out East, you gotta be rude and shut down their photos by saying garbage like "thats nothing compared to out West" or "thats in every state" or "thats nothing special". Seriously, people have different opinions on whats beautiful. For me, I find the desert beautiful while many think its butt ugly. Some think rolling hills are nice, others dont. Heck, I even find the Great Plains to be beautiful, whereas most people think its desolate. I find as much beauty on Illinois' prairies as I do when I look at Devils Tower for instance. Does that mean that "it doesnt compare to whats out West"? No! To me, I think the East is just as gorgeous as anything out West, but thats because I have an open mind to all types of beauty.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM

343 posts, read 846,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dude, everytime someone posts a picture of something out East, you gotta be rude and shut down their photos by saying garbage like "thats nothing compared to out West" or "thats in every state" or "thats nothing special". .
I'm just arguing my position. I NEVER made any personal attacks. Not one. All I was saying was that the west is more spectacular. And it's totally fine for people to disagree. But again, I didn't make any personal attacks, something you seem to have no problem with.

Quote:
Seriously, people have different opinions on whats beautiful. For me, I find the desert beautiful while many think its butt ugly. Some think rolling hills are nice, others dont. Heck, I even find the Great Plains to be beautiful, whereas most people think its desolate. I find as much beauty on Illinois' prairies as I do when I look at Devils Tower for instance. Does that mean that "it doesnt compare to whats out West"? No! To me, I think the East is just as gorgeous as anything out West, but thats because I have an open mind to all types of beauty.
And all this is totally fine. The difference I think, is that the west has rolling hills, great plains, deserts, greenery, mountains and coasts. And in MY opinion, and apparently in the opinion of the National Park Service, those in the west are more scenic than those in the east. I have no problem if people disagree. That's what this forum is for. But if people DO disagree, I'd like them to explain why. Simply saying "I think it's better" does not convince me.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I'm just arguing my position. I NEVER made any personal attacks. Not one. All I was saying was that the west is more spectacular. And it's totally fine for people to disagree. But again, I didn't make any personal attacks, something you seem to have no problem with.

And all this is totally fine. The difference I think, is that the west has rolling hills, great plains, deserts, greenery, mountains and coasts. And in MY opinion, and apparently in the opinion of the National Park Service, those in the west are more scenic than those in the east. I have no problem if people disagree. That's what this forum is for. But if people DO disagree, I'd like them to explain why. Simply saying "I think it's better" does not convince me.
Thats all fine and dandy, but next time someone posts a pic of an area, dont be so quick to shoot it down and call it "inferior" or whatever. All that does is incite arguments.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 PM

343 posts, read 846,476 times
Quote:
Thats all fine and dandy, but next time someone posts a pic of an area, dont be so quick to shoot it down and call it "inferior" or whatever. All that does is incite arguments.
I don't think I ever called it inferior. Just not as spectacular. And this is actually an argument I'd like to have. Cheers.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I don't think I ever called it inferior. Just not as spectacular. And this is actually an argument I'd like to have. Cheers.
Well, when you say its "nothing as grand as whats found in the West", thats basically calling someone else's viewpoint/tastes "inferior".

Cheers back.

4,102 posts, read 7,366,005 times
Texas, which is not listed. Have we seceded again?

595 posts, read 2,531,614 times
I agree with Steve-o, every place is beautiful in it's own way. Even Illinois and Iowa

Just for the heck of it, here are some more of mine.

Last edited by illinoisboy; 07-15-2008 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM

Ahhhh, Bryce Canyon, correct? I love the hoodoo formations there. The only thing that sucked was it actually poured out when we were there, so we had to spend most of our time indoors as there was also heavy lightning. Bummer.

Ill make it back to Utah one of these days....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or