U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 06:13 PM

42 posts, read 65,622 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm a 22 year old female who just graduated from college. I'm looking to teach elementary school (K-3) in just about any large city in the southeast US. I would prefer a coastal state and a place with low cost of living, considering both my fiance and I will be teachers. My fiance would like to live in a city with a professional sports team, if possible. I'll go just about anywhere but love the southeast, love the beach and would love to be somewhere where I wouldn't have to fight tooth and nail for a job teaching elementary school! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM

42 posts, read 65,622 times
Forgot to mention two really important things...I want to be in a relatively big city, where there's a lot going on, since we're still young and I want to teach in an urban district, working with at-risk children. Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 PM

11,879 posts, read 32,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0808 View Post
Forgot to mention two really important things...I want to be in a relatively big city, where there's a lot going on, since we're still young and I want to teach in an urban district, working with at-risk children. Thanks again!
Since you want professional sports and beaches in the Southeast, that's pretty much limiting your choices to Florida: Jacksonville, Miami, and Tampa. There's certainly no shortage of jobs in any of those cities for those wishing to work with at-risk children.

I personally prefer Tampa, it's generally more affordable than Miami and not quite as congested. But Miami definitely has more nightlife.

You might also want to check out New Orleans. They desperately need teachers in New Orleans, and the city isn't too terribly far from beaches.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:02 PM

3,743 posts, read 8,686,287 times
Chicago- We really need GOOD inner city teachers. Jobs should be available.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,206,342 times
I have the perfect place for you --Jacksonville, FL. It seems to match your criteria pretty well and the job outlook is good there. Not as congested as TB or Miami Beach.

Why they gotta be at-risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or