U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gas be measured and priced in liter instead of US Gallon?
Yes, Liter is better than Gallon (3.78 L) 7 24.14%
No, I prefer gallon more than liters 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,748 times

Advertisements

F*ck what the rest of the world does. This is America so let them convert to our system, if anything. It's what I've grown accustomed to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 04:55 AM

605 posts, read 2,219,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
If Gas was measured in liter, it would be better. Because it makes more sence and the gas looks cheaper priced.
For example, 1 liter for $1.
NorthNJ - why on earth have you started another dull thread like this? It's not going to do anything at all for your imperial vs. metric "argument" (and I use that term loosely, as if you had one). Your other thread hasn't even been locked yet so why not get in there and debate that one instead of starting another poll and then standing back?

Worse still it provokes responses like this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
F*ck what the rest of the world does. This is America so let them convert to our system, if anything. It's what I've grown accustomed to
...the counter-argument that matches your own in strength and just makes everyone cringe.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:41 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
OMG here we go again. Metric is best, US is stupid Blah, blah, blah. If you grew up with the US system of measurment it would make sense but you didn't. You come here from a country that uses metric and think we need to change to suit your narrow perspective of how things should be weighed, measured, and counted. Grow up a little would you. Your age is showing. Don't like it over here, go back to where you came from.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 AM

225 posts, read 961,111 times
I cannot believe the horrible and nasty replies I am seeing to this thread. I am an American, born and lived here for over 40 years, so I am not some "foreigner" trying to change the US to fit "my ways". On this topic I do think we should change over though. Most of the world uses the metric system. Anything medical uses it. We are already using it in certain ways. If you look at most products you buy in the store they have the US weight/measure with the Metric in parenthesis next to it. I know what everyone is saying about familiarity of our current system but the change wouldn't really be that hard to do. We just have to accept the new way of measurements and not keep trying to convert it over to what we are used to. As someone already pointed out we have it with the soda bottles and that was done years ago. As far as change goes do many of you remember when our vinyl records were being replaced by those little metal compact discs? Or the VHS tapes all of us collected, now almost obsolete, replaced by DVD's. There was a time when home computers were never around and who remembers life before cell phones? My point being that change does happen and we do adjust to it to the point where it becomes a lifestyle. Yes, I am very used to our current method but it is also aggrevating to speak with anyone overseas and try to explain something to them and then realize you need to convert it in order for them to understand. If half the countries in the word were using our method then I can see a valid argument against this but since we are in the extreme minority here and we are a major world power and player then maybe on this one we should should convert. It will NOT make us any less American. We will always be American and have our own traits that will set us apart from all other countries but this one is simple enough to do and adjust to. But, whether you are for the conversion or not there is no need for some of the rudeness that is being displayed here. We each have our own opinion on things and we have the wonderful freedom to express them without reprise so can't we just express our view on it in a nicer way? Just my thoughts on this topic.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
I cannot believe the horrible and nasty replies I am seeing to this thread. I am an American, born and lived here for over 40 years, so I am not some "foreigner" trying to change the US to fit "my ways".
Then the posts were not directed toward you then were they? The were directed toward the original poster who has littered this forum with posts calling Americans stupid for not changing to the metric system. This is at least the third thread they have started on this same theme, we should change to the metric system because where they came from uses it and it makes more sense to them. Big deal.

Quote:
On this topic I do think we should change over though. Most of the world uses the metric system. Anything medical uses it. We are already using it in certain ways. If you look at most products you buy in the store they have the US weight/measure with the Metric in parenthesis next to it. I know what everyone is saying about familiarity of our current system but the change wouldn't really be that hard to do. We just have to accept the new way of measurements and not keep trying to convert it over to what we are used to. As someone already pointed out we have it with the soda bottles and that was done years ago. As far as change goes do many of you remember when our vinyl records were being replaced by those little metal compact discs? Or the VHS tapes all of us collected, now almost obsolete, replaced by DVD's. There was a time when home computers were never around and who remembers life before cell phones? My point being that change does happen and we do adjust to it to the point where it becomes a lifestyle. Yes, I am very used to our current method but it is also aggrevating to speak with anyone overseas and try to explain something to them and then realize you need to convert it in order for them to understand. If half the countries in the word were using our method then I can see a valid argument against this but since we are in the extreme minority here and we are a major world power and player then maybe on this one we should should convert. It will NOT make us any less American. We will always be American and have our own traits that will set us apart from all other countries but this one is simple enough to do and adjust to. But, whether you are for the conversion or not there is no need for some of the rudeness that is being displayed here. We each have our own opinion on things and we have the wonderful freedom to express them without reprise so can't we just express our view on it in a nicer way? Just my thoughts on this topic.

Even if we did change over to the metric system there would still be conversions to be made because all other Countries don't use it either. A lot do but still not all, so why go through all the bother and expense to gain nothing in reality. All that would be gained is frustration on our own people in order ot fit in with other Countries. What is next, drop the dollar because the Euro is strong? I mean why not right, more Countries use the Euro than the US Dollar right? Then what, might as well change the side of the road we drive on as well because other countries drive on the other side of the road. There would be no end to the silliness that would follow. No good answer, so until there is a clear advantage to changing, why bother?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM

343 posts, read 846,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
If Gas was measured in liter, it would be better. Because it makes more sence and the gas looks cheaper priced.
For example, 1 liter for $1.
It looks cheaper, but it's the same price. So what's the difference?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,819 times
And how exactly does gas by the liter make more sense than gas by the gallon?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 AM

13,732 posts, read 9,841,195 times
Bizarre as it may seem, the unmetric system is better, when it comes to computer binary mathematics.
It is easy to compute with 1/2, 1/4, 1/64, 1/128 and so on.
With decimals, the fractional part often results in rounding and error can creep in.
That's why floating point processors had to have at least 64 bits.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:32 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,178,626 times
Why are you so obsessed with this topic?

If metric is that important to you, move back to a country that uses it.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,631,028 times
I can't believe how many times this keeps coming up. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what the rest of the world does. Leave the system as is. It appears that there are people who think that everyone else is so 'enlightened' except for the US - what a bunch of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.