U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,618,255 times

Advertisements

I would definitely look into Missouri, beautiful state, great 4-season climate, good economy, one of the most underrated states IMO

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 PM

89 posts, read 269,048 times
thank you! I will look into Missouri when I have time tomorrow!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:43 PM

57 posts, read 221,622 times
codasgirl04 - I too have a husband who would go away for awhile under Washington's third strike laws if there were some further incident. We too live in Washington, where we were both born and raised. He sees no reason to leave as he loves the trees, doesn't mind the rains, etc. He has been hardworking and law-abiding well over the last dozen years and the thought that we should leave the state strictly because of those laws has never crossed my mind nor his. I want to leave to get to a different type of environment (4 seasons, not 4 rainy seasons). Now I am wondering if I have missed some angle on this topic. Has there been some new wrinkle to the laws when I wasn't paying lately? Just wondering if in my search for the perfect climate I need to pay more attention to the states without the 3 strikes laws as well? And we have kids, too . . .

Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 PM

140 posts, read 526,521 times
I would look into Iowa, my neighboring state to the west.
It is much like Missouri.
Except.
A) It's safer
B) It's more quintessentially "Americana" if you will..
C) Longer Winters, Shorter Summers
D) In my opinion, it's better.

Iowa has got so much to offer. Iowa is consistently ranked among the best states to raise a family, start a business, or retire.

A few cities I would recommend to you highly are:
1. Des Moines- A fast growing metropolitan area, the Des Moines area is seeing a rise in not only population. Amenities in the city are widespread, housing is very affordable, and transportation is easily come upon.
2. Dubuque- Dubuque is very historical. In my opinion, it is the best city in Iowa to raise a family, or start a business.. even retire. In 2007 Dubuque was named the U.S.' "All American City," a very prestigious honor. Dubuque proper is growing faster than the numbers would suggest, with new condos going up on the bluff, and the suburbs, especially Asbury and Peosta, Iowa just exploding.
3. Others. Iowa City and North Liberty, Decorah, Ames, Boone, West Des Moines, Council Bluffs, and many, many more.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:20 PM

thank you OgleCo for the info.
After visiting with him this weekend we have decided to look into Arizona, up by flagstaff maybe around the border of Utah....

rjcj- I'm not sure what your husbands charges were, whether they were violent or not, that makes a BIG difference, i just know that one of the candidates for Governor is pushing for more stricter rules on offenders that are released. I know that with his charges anything can be taken as a threat or assault ( even those were far from his charges) and could pose a 3rd strike for him 25-life depending on what it was.
I hope that helps...? If not you can message me and we can discuss this further

Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times
I wouldn't say Iowa is necessarily safer. It probably depends on the town itself. And "Americana" is hard to judge exactly.

I live in Missouri and like it just fine. I also agree with the poster who posted the Missouri towns. They're all fine.

Springfield is a great town, too. About 100k people. I have friends who live there. As far as I know the schools are just fine. You'll get a few inches of snow a year, and the heat can be bad in summer, but you can get used to it. It's pretty humid in a lot of Missouri.

The ozarks tend to have hills and valleys. Personally, I think the Springfield/Branson area is absolutely beautiful for that reason. Lake of the Ozarks is pretty as well, and there are some nice resorts around the area.

Columbia I've always heard is nice.

The bootheel of Missouri tens to be flat, and you'll see more cotton and rice growing. I live in the Ozarks, but between my house and Piedmont you can see the hills in the background and fields of corn. When you get south and east of Poplar Bluff, if starts to get flat. Sikeston is pretty flat.

Wherever you decide to move, I wish you the best.

As far as judging Missouri schools, I wouldn't compare them to other state's schools. Missouri has some of the highest standards in the country, so probably a lower percentage of students meet the certain requirements. Comparing different schools in Missouri should be fine, but I'd be careful trying to compare them to schools in other states, because they have different standards.

Missouri is a very beautiful and geographically diverse state. I wish you the best of luck. If you get the chance, I would suggest taking some time during the summers you live here to check out all the attractions the state has to offer. St. Louis and Kansas City, being large cities, have plenty to do. Springfield and Branson have less to do, but you can visit some Civil War battlefields in the area and there are caves. Bass Pro Shop World Headquarters is there as well. Their wildlife museum is closed until 2009 for renovations I think.

Southeastern Missouri (where I live) honestly doesn't have many big things to visit, but it is beautiful land.

Best of luck and God Bless.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 PM

thank you STL- that was very imformative!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM

STL- Springfield seems a little to big for us, what are the subburb cities outside of Springfield that are smaller?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:38 PM

367 posts, read 626,737 times
Personally, I would advise your boyfriend to stay out of trouble. I think it disturbs me that you are looking for a place where the three strikes law doesn't exist. What you are implying is that he can't stay out of trouble with the law which means the prison system isn't working.

Get ready for more visits to the pen..........

Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,547,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codasgirl04 View Post
Sorry when i posted that above i was in a hurry, a little about me, My fiance' is incarcerrated at a Washington State Prison, and so washington has the 3 strike law, so after he gets out we will have to move to the states that don't have 3 strike laws
which leaves about 12 states left.
We want small kid friendly towns, good schools, a mall near by. Somewhere in the country, where he can still bow hunt and fish. I can have it near a big city that has a aiport, b/c i do have airline experience. But i also wasn't asking for a city, I will look up the states that we can move to.
I have lived in Arizona, and Flagstaff is beautiful!
Has he committed three crimes already or has he committed two crimes and you are concerned that he will commit another? I'm serious with the question. Also, I agree with radioclown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or