U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 PM

367 posts, read 627,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Has he committed three crimes already or has he committed two crimes and you are concerned that he will commit another crime? I'm serious with the question.
I should have asked the same question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 AM

89 posts, read 269,313 times
Synopsis & Radioclown- You are not familiar with the Three strike law in the states that have them- personally i shouldn't even have to answer your question- but since I am nice and I do like to inform people of the information.....
When you live in the Three Strike Law states, depending on the crime, there are certain stipulations that you have to abide by, which is fine with us, we can do that, but like i stated before in a previous post to this thread, when you have the stipulations if like for example- he goes and plays pool, someone gets mad b/c he won the game, lets say a fight breaks out -which is very common at a bar, let's say even as a person who is watching the fight if he looks at a person wrong, grabs a person wrong that is considered assault-BAM 25 YEARS RIGHT THERE!!!! Now Would you take that risk? I'm sorry but Washington and California have the worst 3 strike laws in the US!!! I will not live in this state!
If he has committed 3 crimes already i wouldn't be asking where we need to move to -that was a stupid question!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 AM

radioclown- thank you for your opinion- but i didn't ask for your opinion or your "concern" if i went by everyone's concern then i wouldn't get very far in life, the only person who is Allowed to Judge me is God, i just asked about different states, When it happens to your family, you will have the same questions. The ratio of people being in prison is 1person out of every 100 families.
and synopsis- am I concerned about him getting in trouble again? No, b/c I believe in a great and almighty God who will protect us and point us in the right direction of where we should move.
and I have the right to ask about different states, there are so many people in this world who think prisoners are just "bad criminals" - not true, there is wonderful guys in there, who have been at the wrong place wrong time. I see no reason to explain his crime on here b/c to me you are complete strangers, there have been some positive responces on here, but the negative responces have come from naive people who judge others.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 AM

30 posts, read 119,334 times
I'm not sure I understand..... as long as he doesn't plan to commit anymore crimes, I don't know what difference it would make what state you move to. I know some crimes should not be punishable in accordance with the three strike law, but if he's served his time, you should be able to move where you wish??? Good luck... kinda' sounds like you're in a dilemna! Yikes!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Talps- Thank you for trying to understand It is a tricky situation, and it is hard to explain. I tried to give a few examples. People who are involved in the prison system understand more what i am talking about. Of course we could move to any of the 50 states, and some have worse 3 strike law punishments than others, i would hate for him to be picking me up late one night or our daughter and there is a crime going on down the street and b/c it looks like he is involved in the crime b/c the guys are running towards the car which is on the same street they question him pull up his name and record ( b/c they can do that with a gun pointed toward your head) and see that he has been in prison before, then BAM he arrested and in prison doing 25 years -life, for being there .... if you think that sounds unrealistic.... how do you think we are where we are right now??? And i would hate for my daughter to ask why they took Daddy away... it happens more that you would like to think.
So i will take my chances and move to a state that doesn't have that law, start a new life and not have to worry about getting in trouble

Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,678,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codasgirl04 View Post
STL- Springfield seems a little to big for us, what are the subburb cities outside of Springfield that are smaller?
I knew someone who lived in Nixa, about 10 minutes south of Springfield. Nixa is about 17,000, but also only about 10 minutes from Springfield if you want to go into Springfield for Bass Pro Shops, the mall, or whatever.

It's not very diverse, though.
White Non-Hispanic (96.5%)
Hispanic (1.3%)
Two or more races (1.0%)
American Indian (0.9%)
I'm not sure how much that matters to you.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM

That sounds perfect!!! YAY !!! thank you i will look it up!!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 AM

367 posts, read 627,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codasgirl04 View Post
radioclown- thank you for your opinion- but i didn't ask for your opinion or your "concern" if i went by everyone's concern then i wouldn't get very far in life, the only person who is Allowed to Judge me is God, i just asked about different states, When it happens to your family, you will have the same questions. The ratio of people being in prison is 1person out of every 100 families.
and synopsis- am I concerned about him getting in trouble again? No, b/c I believe in a great and almighty God who will protect us and point us in the right direction of where we should move.
and I have the right to ask about different states, there are so many people in this world who think prisoners are just "bad criminals" - not true, there is wonderful guys in there, who have been at the wrong place wrong time. I see no reason to explain his crime on here b/c to me you are complete strangers, there have been some positive responces on here, but the negative responces have come from naive people who judge others.

Coda,

A couple of points here. First of all, by posting the question/dilemma on this site you are opening yourself up to the opinions of others. Secondly, as a former social worker who studied the prison system at great length, unless someone who has been in the system has been fully rehabilitated, the chances of the individual landing back in prison again is quite high.

Again, the implication here, and this comes from your own statements is that you are afraid he will get in trouble again and end up back in prison. If he is prone to trouble, he should not be in a bar shooting pool nor should he be anywhere near a situation where he knows he could get in trouble with the law.

I would also assume that he will be on parole. If he is, he may not be able to leave the state, consume alcohol or even be in a bar. I would check into that if I were you.

You may believe what you do, and believe in him which is to be commended, but he has to be responsible and keep himself away from any situation where he could end up back in prison. If he doesn't do that, it doesn't matter where you live; he will end up back in prison. If he is planning on staying straight, it really shouldn't matter where you live.

Hopefully he got some help while in the joint.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:22 PM

once again thank you for your opinions and trying to help the situation-
A. I have never stated that I was worried he was going to get into trouble again, just want to take the right steps for our future.

B. As long as you have cleared it with your parole officer, got a county transfer and have paid off your restitution ( if any) you are free to move state to state. You are right, you can't consume alcohol while on parole- good thing he doesn't drink

C. Granted everyone is responsible for there own decisions, don't think I don't hold him responsible for anything that has happened in his life. ...... but in order for us to move on to have a better future we have decided to move, washington is not a good state to live in almost as bad as california when it comes to the judicial system.

Since you have studied the prison system so well, i was suprised to see you were quick to judge me for being with a person who is incarcerated, if you know the system so well, then you will know that not everyone is guilty. The first time he got in trouble he was, the second he wasn't.
and also for me chosing to post on here, there have been many posters on here that didn't ask questions about the situation ( b/c i'm sure they knew it was none of there business) but was able to help me with my first set of questions - states and cities to move to.
If i had just posted that we can't move to these states and left it at that you would have never judged me, or tried to steer me out of my decision to do what is best for my family.

Not everyone is prone to trouble- Sometimes they are in the wrong place, wrong time!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM

please let's keep it at the original topic not about what is going on in my life and why i am making the decision to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or