U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What measurment system do you like more?
Metric/Sl system 7 36.84%
US/Imperial system 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,240 posts, read 8,248,910 times
Reputation: 4926

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Well, you guys are retarded. You don't know the metric that's why you still want to continue with the crap imperial.

 
Old 07-17-2008, 09:13 AM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,627,547 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
hmmmmm. lol that what I was thinking
 
Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,712,679 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Well, you guys are retarded. You don't know the metric that's why you still want to continue with the crap imperial.
Well, like I said before, I'm younger than you and I'm smarter than you. So if we're retards............ what does that make you?
 
Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 AM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,627,547 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well, like I said before, I'm younger than you and I'm smarter than you. So if we're retards............ what does that make you?
niiiiiccceeee. lets see what NorthNJ responds to that
 
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,101,972 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Well, you guys are retarded. You don't know the metric that's why you still want to continue with the crap imperial.
You must be from Lappland.

If you have ANY remote knowledge and understanding of the American culture you'd realize that since its inception the USA was NOT supposed to emulate or devolve into another European nation. Unfortunately, try as we might we have a lot of American citizens that would like nothing better than to turn the USA into just another European socialist nation. Most of us would rather not have that happen to our country.

And this is coming from someone who's family IS from Sweden and much of my family still lives there. European society has "given" the world such wonderful treasures as Hitler, Stalin, Napoleon, Tito and several other fascists and commies that I don't need to name. Add to that list the stuffy royal families and socialist healthcare and the end result is a society in which you have even more limited freedom to make decisions on a personal level than here in the USA.

In short, the metric system may work for you but we'd rather not buy into it. If you are that dissatisfied living here then you should move. I don't like where I live presently and I am going to move within the year to a community that I prefer. That's what adults do...
 
Old 07-17-2008, 10:01 AM
 
Location: MO Ozarkian in NE Hoosierana
4,679 posts, read 10,871,374 times
Reputation: 6902
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post


the speed limit signs on state roads is and will always be non-metric. it is the local street signs/rural routes. i dont live in Terre Haute, Lafayette or other Big Western towns i live in a rural area of Putnam County. and in the local paper it is only metric that they post in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
your correct! where i live we use the metric system quiet frequently here in indiana. so much that it is like it is second nature. when we hear that my friend got a ticket for 100kph in a 65 kph zone we automaticly know he got in trouble for doing 60mph in a 40mph.
temps are also given in degrees celsius here. and some speed limit signs are only in kph
Interesting - not doubting you, but would like to see this paper; is there a link to their web-based version that you could provide?

As to the local street signs/rural routes - are you stating that these have ONLY metric upon them? Sometime, would like to see a photo of such a road sign, in Putnam County, Indiana...
 
Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Western Mass.
605 posts, read 2,220,658 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
And this is coming from someone who's family IS from Sweden and much of my family still lives there. European society has "given" the world such wonderful treasures as Hitler, Stalin, Napoleon, Tito and several other fascists and commies that I don't need to name. Add to that list the stuffy royal families and socialist healthcare and the end result is a society in which you have even more limited freedom to make decisions on a personal level than here in the USA.
Hey - I think we're all agreed that these multiple threads on the same issue are nonsense and that the OP has very little argument other than he prefers it when everything divides by 10. There's no need, however, for general anti-European tirades like the one you just made which has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever. If the OP had any intelligence he'd just come straight back at you with a slamming of all things that are bad about America and the conclusion that Europeans have it better - and believe me, it would be just as valid.
 
Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,101,972 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Hey - I think we're all agreed that these multiple threads on the same issue are nonsense and that the OP has very little argument other than he prefers it when everything divides by 10. There's no need, however, for general anti-European tirades like the one you just made which has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever. If the OP had any intelligence he'd just come straight back at you with a slamming of all things that are bad about America and the conclusion that Europeans have it better - and believe me, it would be just as valid.
He deserves it. Eye for an eye. I stated facts.
 
Old 07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Western Mass.
605 posts, read 2,220,658 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
He deserves it. Eye for an eye. I stated facts.
I'm not going to bother debating that with you as I don't want to be part of keeping this sorry thread alive any longer than is necessary.
 
Old 07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,101,972 times
Reputation: 2470
There is nothing to debate. Most of this NJ Twit's posts are laced with anti American sentiment and are also very condescending. I come from a European family and I have friends from Europe that now live in this country. They agree with me. If they still wanted to live in Europe and under the EU then they'd return. Sadly we'll be getting a North American Union which is equally as dangerous as the EU. If he sincerely desires to live with the Metric system he should not live in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top