U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What measurment system do you like more?
Metric/Sl system 7 36.84%
US/Imperial system 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,629,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Metric is much easier and more useful! Just multiple by 10!
(1000 g = 1 kg, 100 cm = 1 meter etc.)

1 km - 0.62 miles
1 cm - 0.39 inches
1 kg - 2.2 pounds
1 L - 0.26 US Gallon

Metric makes sence... not US system.
Meters versus Inches/Feet/Yards:
One third of a foot is four inches. One third of a yard is one foot or twelve inches. One quarter (aka one fourth) of a foot is three inches. One quarter of a yard is three quarters of a foot or nine inches.

What's a third of a meter? 0.333333333333333333333333333333333........

In fact, some French construction workers have taken to using 1.2 meters as their standard of building measurement...it's just more convenient for them.

How long is an inch? Roughly the length of the first joint of your thumb. How long is a foot? Roughly the length of your foot. How long is a yard? Roughly the length of draw of an English longbow.

How long is a meter?
Old definition: "1/10,000,000 the distance from the North Pole to the Equator, as measured on a meridian that passes through Paris". Until it was found that the Earth wasn't a perfect sphere.
New definition: "The meter is the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second". That's handy.

Kilometers versus miles:
Do a lot of conversions between centimeters and kilometers, do ya? I've never felt a need to convert between inches and miles.

In Michigan, the freeways have mile markers and the freeway exits are numbered by the closest mile market to that exit. If you're in your vehicle on the freeway travelling at 60 miles per hour (aka a mile a minute), and you know that you want to take Exit 270 to get to your destination, and you've just passed mile marker 223, then you know it's 47 minutes to your exit (270 miles - 223 miles is 47 miles; at a mile a minute, it's 47 minutes).

Does the metric system work as nicely for this common day occurrence?

Celsius versus Fahrenheit:
Celsius - 0 degrees is the freezing point of water, 100 degrees is the boiling point of water (at one standard atmosphere), useful for those who want to boil ice cubes at sea-level.

Fahrenheit - 0 degrees means that it is really cold outside, 100 degrees means that it is really hot outside. 100 degrees Fahrenheit is also "roughly" the temperature of the human body.

People constantly ask each other "on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate [fill in the blank]". The metric equivalent of that convention is probably "on a scale of -17 to 37, how would you rate...".

Time Measurement:
60 seconds in a minute
60 minutes in an hour
24 hours in a day
7 days in a week
28,29,30, or 31 days in a month
12 months in a year
365.24~ days in a year

Metric equivalent? Seconds, milliseconds, nanoseconds, and...kiloseconds?

If the metric system makes "sence" why isn't time measurement metric in nations that use the metric system?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:05 PM

195 posts, read 583,873 times
Well, if the metric system does not make sence or sucks... how come the whole world use it except 3 countries?!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
How does this really matter? Took Sweden a long time to figure out which side of the road to drive on, and all those countries who serve the British Royals still drive on the wrong side...make them change! Too many similarities on a global basis it is nice to have some differences. imho
That was back for 50 years ago. Who cares about which side UK drives on? That has not something to do with measurment, because many other countries drive same side as UK does. Plus I don't live in UK, so I don't care about what side they drive on.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM

5,116 posts, read 4,629,684 times
Quote:
Well, if the metric system does not make sence or sucks... how come the whole world use it except 3 countries?!
I never said the Metric System sucks.

You're the one who said "Metric system makes sence...Not US system".

I gave many examples where the US system made more "sence" than the Metric system.

I even gave an example where some French workers have bastardized the metric system to make it more user-friendly in the construction trades.

Your ONLY reason that the metric system made more "sence" is because it is based on powers of ten. Which is why metric time measurement is so popular.

Your only other argument is that all but three of the world's countries use the metric system. Congratz, the French were successful in inflicting its laboratory measurement system on the rest of the world.

So are you going to refute my examples? Or provide some real day-to-day benefits of the Metric System for the common everyday person in the United States (other than it's much easier to convert from millimeters to kilometers)?

Or are you too busy boiling ice cubes and trying to find a stop watch that'll let you time the speed of photons?

Old 07-17-2008, 03:58 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,867,215 times
Quote:
That was back for 50 years ago. Who cares about which side UK drives on? That has not something to do with measurment, because many other countries drive same side as UK does. Plus I don't live in UK, so I don't care about what side they drive on.
Awwwwww... but you live where??? And you are so much caring about what measuring system we use???

Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I never said the Metric System sucks.

You're the one who said "Metric system makes sence...Not US system".

I gave many examples where the US system made more "sence" than the Metric system.

I even gave an example where some French workers have bastardized the metric system to make it more user-friendly in the construction trades.

Your ONLY reason that the metric system made more "sence" is because it is based on powers of ten. Which is why metric time measurement is so popular.

Your only other argument is that all but three of the world's countries use the metric system. Congratz, the French were successful in inflicting its laboratory measurement system on the rest of the world.

So are you going to refute my examples? Or provide some real day-to-day benefits of the Metric System for the common everyday person in the United States (other than it's much easier to convert from millimeters to kilometers)?

Or are you too busy boiling ice cubes and trying to find a stop watch that'll let you time the speed of photons?
It's good that you are honest and know that the metric is easier
How come the whole world does not use the imperial system if it's so good and make sence?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,096,163 times
If for no other reason than the cost to switch our entire society over to the metric system. The size of our economy virtually dwarfs that of every other industrialized nation. Retooling machines that produce goods and then the cost to buy new products could easily wipe out some businesses.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,430,763 times
Moderator's Note:

Enough of this foolishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.