U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM

182 posts, read 753,291 times

Advertisements

Hello, hello to everyone who had participated in this thread. I did a search for it and couldn't find it so i thought I'd try to start again. I have been down the rabbit hole and have come out the other side so to speak. Got caught up with moving to New Orleans and trying to find a house, currently renting an older home and it has cured me of the desire to renovate one. Things are moving slowly here but I see signs of recovery. I' m hoping to find a small cottage with a garage that I can convert into a studio but haven't had luck with that.

The arts are alive and well . There is a new area on St. Claude where the "avant-garde" have settled. Newer galleries are popping up there. The more established warehouse district galleries are back as is magazine street. And not just visual but music and poetry readings and such are to be found all over. The museum is free to La. residents which is nice on the pocketbook.

Downside: still alot of work to be done, rents are higher and it sometimes hard to find a nice place to rent. utilities are much higher. And yes, crime is still a problem. Uptown has seen a surge of break ins and such. the streets are still in bad shape but there is talk of some areas getting help. Medical care is on the up swing but still an issue if you have some specific problem. Right now there is an ozone alert for the area and my eyes are watering and burning after being outside for only about 10 minutes to water the plants!! oh yes, there are 6 months of the year where you need to pay special attention to the the weather........

If you are a young artist looking for some funk and culture and an inspiring place, new orleans just might fit the bill. I moved back because it is home but it has been a bit of a challenge for me

hope everyone is well and sorry for not writing sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or