U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 PM

96 posts, read 211,876 times

Advertisements

To say one is better than the other would be just a little rude to me. It is more of a matter of preference of which case I choose Florida. Any Florida to me is great, its so much different than Missouri that it just amazes me the entire time I am there. So relaxing and beautiful I never want to go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,563,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Where is it more beautiful? Where is it better?
Definitely California...the terrain in Florida is somewhat barren of vegetation and monotonous also.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:38 PM

17,000 posts, read 20,665,159 times
CA hands down. FL is flat and incredibly humid. Southern CA has weather similar to the Greek Isles. Plus you have the mountains.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:09 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,370,483 times
I think the water and beaches are prettier in South Florida. I also like some of the architecture styles of the homes and condo towers, hotels, etc.
I think LA is prettier when it comes to the hills, views, etc. LA has more to offer IMO but these are a couple of my favorite places in the world for sure.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 AM

4,445 posts, read 8,620,292 times
After I visited the beaches of California I can’t understand the attraction: the water is pitch black, freezing cold (even in summer), the ocean currents come out of the Subarctic, it’s smoggy, overcrowd, and there are bums all over the place sleeping under piers...

In Florida, the beach is like the Caribbean, its sunny, it’s warmer than anywhere in California in winter by far, the Atlantic is crystal clear blue/green, the currents come right out of the tropics, the sand is soft and white, the faces and the crowd come from all over the world, the hotels are fresh and new, it’s clean, green, and new looking….

Florida by a landslide…

Old 10-02-2009, 08:30 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,370,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
After I visited the beaches of California I can’t understand the attraction: the water is pitch black, freezing cold (even in summer), the ocean currents come out of the Subarctic, it’s smoggy, overcrowd, and there are bums all over the place sleeping under piers...

In Florida, the beach is like the Caribbean, its sunny, it’s warmer than anywhere in California in winter by far, the Atlantic is crystal clear blue/green, the currents come right out of the tropics, the sand is soft and white, the faces and the crowd come from all over the world, the hotels are fresh and new, it’s clean, green, and new looking….

Florida by a landslide…
I agree, like I said in my comment the beaches win hands down in Florida. The advantage California has is the hills and terrain that make for a more scenic location, but they are different in a lot of ways. At least they both have the sun!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 AM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Did you visit one beach and then judge the entire state of CA on that? Sounds like some crappy LA beach or something but that isn't what most of Ca's or even Southern CA's beaches are like.

Water is definitely colder than FL but it still gets in the 70's, which is fine for most people who don't need bathtub water.

Yeah this water is "pitch black":

the water visibility at this beach is usually anywhere from 15-25 feet:

Quote:
In Florida, the beach is like the Caribbean, its sunny, it’s warmer than anywhere in California in winter by far
Actually Northern Florida is colder in winter than Southern CA.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
S CA = 12 months of beautiful weather. S FL = 3 months of beautiful weather.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 AM

181 posts, read 789,469 times
This isn't even a contest. SoCal is better by ANY measure, including beauty. They actually have hills and a beautiful coastline. Florida is a flat muggy swamp infested with giant roaches and other bugs. The only thing it has is nice water. Also weather is perfect year round on the SoCal coast - FL is horrible in the summer, and even in winter can be muggy. You also have the threat of being wiped out by hurricanes every few years - remember when Miami was destroyed in the early 90? Earthquakes on the other hand rarely happen and aren't as devastating because buildings are made the withstand them.

SoCal also has much better culture to enjoy. Florida is the South after all, with some northeast retirees thrown in .... no thanks!!!

The only reason people would live anywhere in Florida over, say, Laguna Beach or Carslbad or La Jolla would be that it's cheaper to live in Fl - why do you think there are so many retirees/trailer parks!!!!!

I mean not to be rude but Florida is "everybody's vacation" which is the only reason it gets any respect. Its like the Branson, Missouri of beaches - people everywhere on a budget will flock there and they think "wow this is a beach man!!!" They don't even realize how gorgeous some other places are, because to be honest Malibu La Jolla Laguna etc. are just out of reach for the VAST majority of the population. To actually compare the two is like comparing some beach in New Jersey to an Mediterranean Isle - there is just no comparison.

I'll just close by saying that when I went on a Caribbean cruise and stepped off the boat in Key West I was disgusted - it was hot, muggy, the water was like a bathtub. No natural beauty other than the water - everything so flat!

Last edited by radiodude84; 10-02-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,620,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Did you visit one beach and then judge the entire state of CA on that? Sounds like some crappy LA beach or something but that isn't what most of Ca's or even Southern CA's beaches are like.

Water is definitely colder than FL but it still gets in the 70's, which is fine for most people who don't need bathtub water.

Yeah this water is "pitch black":

the water visibility at this beach is usually anywhere from 15-25 feet:

Actually Northern Florida is colder in winter than Southern CA.
I went all over the central and southern Cailfiofna coast. There are IMO only three nice coastal/beach areas…the area from LaJolla to Encinitas…around Laguna Beach area…and near Malibu. Even Malibu was a disappointment, this is supposed to be a beautiful area…compared to the white streets and gleaming canals of Ft. Lauderdale it was still a dump. Malibu Colony is a gated and off limits tiny area of ugly house on a fairly ugly beach. By the way…where “IS” the beach in Ventura County?

Even if one could get past the choppy cold water…many of the other areas I saw were dirty, had graffiti, where overcrowd, had a heavy presence of gangs/police…and the view of oil derricks off shore, along with sighs of no swimming due to high bacteria counts… is enough to turn anyone off. The American Oceans campaign…the Heal the Bay Foundation…and the Surfrider Foundition…, were all founded in southern California because of the filthy ocean waters. Google the name Erik Villanueva, Chuck Hicks, James Meyer, or many others who contracted Coxsackie B virus paddling through the filthy, black waters of southern California (Villanueva has had two heart transplants). The water off the coast of southern California is a mostly a toilet. Anyone who actually goes into the ocean (rather than those who just sit on the beach under blanket and “look at it) knows how bad and even dangerous the water quitlity is in most of southern California.

Even the weather thing is hype. Florida’s weather is so much better. It is NOT humid from November through April. Even in summer, unlike in California you don’t have to want a week in May (“Gray), June (‘Gloom”), July (“Lie”) for a sunny and warm day at the beach (yea I know about that too!). I was in Santa Barbara in “July” wearing a jacket. I realize folks on the West Coast are used to cold ocean waters and cooler days on the beach…but that was ridiculous. Who goes in the ocean when it’s 73 F outside and the ocean water is 66 F? In Florida year-round there is warm to hot sunshine, warm clear 80 F + waters, and a new looking, clean atmosphere. And yes, compared to Florida and the Caribbean the water IS PITCH BLACK. Where are those pictures from, near the Mexican boarder? You’re only fooling yourself.

Unlike the chamber of commerce pictures you posted that one might have to drive to 10 beaches to find…here some of Florida images wherever one turns their head…

Yeah the water in California is as nice as in Florida :

Trust me...coastal/Beach wise...California is poop compared to Florida...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or