U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:04 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,543,731 times

Advertisements

We do all realize the the most southern part of Florida is the Key's???

Or are you calling the Miami area south Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

Even if one could get past the choppy cold water…many of the other areas I saw were dirty, had graffiti, where overcrowd, had a heavy presence of gangs/police…and the view of oil derricks off shore, along with sighs of no swimming due to high bacteria counts…]
Again that is mainly the LA area, most of Southern CA does not look like that. There are no oil derricks of the coast of Orange County or San Diego.
Quote:
The water off the coast of southern California is a mostly a toilet. Anyone who actually goes into the ocean (rather than those who just sit on the beach under blanket and “look at it) knows how bad and even dangerous the water quitlity is in most of southern California.
I live 8 blocks from the ocean and go in the water all the time, it is not as dirty or polluted as you like to portray it as at all. You don't really seem to know what you're talking about here, have you actually ever lived in Southern CA?

78 of 79 county beaches score high on water-quality evaluation - SignOnSanDiego.com

And since you are talking about TOILETS, why don't we take a brief look at the TOILETS that flush into South FL waters, LITERALLY:

YouTube - Boca Raton Sewage Outfall

YouTube - North Broward Sewage Outfall

YouTube - Hollywood Sewage Outfall
Quote:
Even the weather thing is hype. Florida’s weather is so much better
To each their own but you are in the minority in that opinion for sure.
Quote:
In Florida year-round there is warm to hot sunshine, warm clear 80 F + water
Sure in SOUTH FLORIDA, in case you forgot there is the northern part of the state that is not warm year round and is actually colder than SoCal in winter.
Quote:
Where are those pictures from, near the Mexican boarder?
No, one is from North County SD and the other is from a beach about 3 miles from my house.

Quote:
Unlike the chamber of commerce pictures you posted
Actually I took those pictures myself.

And how the hell can you try to deride me for posting pics from some COC website when that is exactly what you just did. Just took some crappy, grainy photos off some tourism website, talk about a double standard.

Quote:
Yeah the water in California is as nice as in Florida :
I NEVER claimed that at all, I was just countering your exaggerations and absurd statements about the coast in CA. And I never actually said anything negative about Florida's beaches but you somehow took what I said as some insult towards FL.

Quote:
California is poop compared to Florida...
Again, another thing you clearly the minority on.

Beach-wise FL has the edge but for overall coast CA can hold it's own fine for a variety of reasons already stated on this thread.

Last edited by sav858; 10-02-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,620,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Again that is mainly the LA area, most of Southern CA does not look like that. There are no oil derricks of the coast of Orange County or San Diego.
I live 8 blocks from the ocean and go in the water all the time, it is not as dirty or polluted as you like to portray it as at all. You don't really seem to know what you're talking about here, have you actually ever lived in Southern CA?

78 of 79 county beaches score high on water-quality evaluation - SignOnSanDiego.com

And since you are talking about TOILETS, why don't we take a brief look at the TOILETS that flush into South FL waters, LITERALLY:

YouTube - Boca Raton Sewage Outfall

YouTube - North Broward Sewage Outfall

YouTube - Hollywood Sewage Outfall
To each their own but you are in the minority in that opinion for sure.
Sure in SOUTH FLORIDA, in case you forgot there is the northern part of the state that is not warm year round and is actually colder than SoCal in winter.
No, one is from North County SD and the other is from a beach about 3 miles from my house.

Actually I took those pictures myself.

And how the hell can you try to deride me for posting pics from some COC website when that is exactly what you just did. Just took some crappy, grainy photos off some tourism website, talk about a double standard.

I NEVER claimed that at all, I was just countering your exaggerations and absurd statements about the coast in CA. And I never actually said anything negative about Florida's beaches but you somehow took what I said as some insult towards FL, try not being so defensive.

Again, another thing you clearly the minority on.

Beach-wise FL has the edge but for overall coast CA can hold it's own fine for a variety of reasons already stated on this thread.
You’re reaching now…your going to post some thing about Florida water quality (lol). And the pictures you took you admit “were” down close to Mexico (SD County). I know for a FACT that 85% of the CA coast doesn’t look like that.

As you said to each his own…I totally hated it. It was a big disapointment, and my health was more important. Florida and the Caribbean have NEVER disappointed me. For me, it doesn’t get any better in the USA than Florida. And by the way…while the climate of southern Florida IMO blows away the climate of "cool" California year round…it is not warmer in southern California than in "northern Florida" in winter. In fact, in my surfing days...it was warmer in northern Florida in winter than in southern CA in summer (lol). Here is the NOAA map of December highs anyway.

Go argue with NOAA…

Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
And the pictures you took you admit “were” down close to Mexico (SD County).
Sure if you consider all of San Diego "down close to Mexico", I don't but I guess it's all relative. And what difference does that make? The water is warmer in FL "down near the Caribbean" too? It's not like Northern Florida stays in the 80's or even 70's or EVEN 60's year round in areas such as Pensacola.
Quote:
I know for a FACT that 85% of the CA coast doesn’t look like that.
Considering that is what most of the coastline looks like that from Newport Beach south through San Diego you'd be wrong again. You really need to stop stating your opinions as "facts" already.

Quote:
it is not warmer in southern California than in "northern Florida" in winter. In fact, in my surfing days...it was warmer in northern Florida in winter than in southern CA in summer (lol).
Why don't we take a look at ACTUAL statistics here.

Pensacola:
Nov 70/51
Dec 63/45
Jan 61/43
Feb 64/45
Average Weather for Pensacola, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

San Diego:
Nov 70/54
Dec 66/49
Jan 66/50
Feb 66/52
Average Weather for San Diego, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

And lets look at some inland cities:
Tallahassee:
Nov 73/48
Dec 66/42
Jan 64/40
Feb 67/42
Average Weather for Tallahassee, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Pasadena, CA:
Nov 74/48
Dec 68/44
Jan 68/44
Feb 70/46
Average Weather for Pasadena, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Not exactly huge differences but the data clearly shows than Northern FL is NO warmer than Southern CA in winter. Let alone Northern FL being warmer in winter than Southern CA in summer, now that is just absurd and exemplifies your lack of knowledge or facts on the subject.

And if I were to include ALL of Southern CA the deserts would be even warmer as well.

Also it's pretty ironic your screename is "wavehunter" b/c if that is actually the case then what you are doing in Florida? Waiting for the next hurricane to produce some waves? haha.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Sure if you consider all of San Diego "down close to Mexico", I don't but I guess it's all relative. And what difference does that make? The water is warmer in FL "down near the Caribbean" too? It's not like Northern Florida stays in the 80's or even 70's or EVEN 60's year round in areas such as Pensacola.
Considering that is what most of the coastline looks like that from Newport Beach south through San Diego you'd be wrong again. You really need to stop stating your opinions as "facts" already.

Why don't we take a look at ACTUAL statistics here.

Pensacola:
Nov 70/51
Dec 63/45
Jan 61/43
Feb 64/45
Average Weather for Pensacola, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

San Diego:
Nov 70/54
Dec 66/49
Jan 66/50
Feb 66/52
Average Weather for San Diego, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

And lets look at some inland cities:
Tallahassee:
Nov 73/48
Dec 66/42
Jan 64/40
Feb 67/42
Average Weather for Tallahassee, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Pasadena, CA:
Nov 74/48
Dec 68/44
Jan 68/44
Feb 70/46
Average Weather for Pasadena, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Not exactly huge differences but the data clearly shows than Northern FL is NO warmer than Southern CA in winter. Let alone Northern FL being warmer in winter than Southern CA in summer, now that is just absurd and exemplifies your lack of knowledge or facts on the subject.

And if I were to include ALL of Southern CA the deserts would be even warmer as well.

Also it's pretty ironic your screename is "wavehunter" b/c if that is actually the case then what you are doing in Florida? Waiting for the next hurricane to produce some waves? haha.
Now your contradicted yourself (again). Here is your original quote…”Sure in SOUTH FLORIDA, in case you forgot there is the northern part of the state that is not warm year round and is actually colder than social in winter”......then you say this... "Not exactly huge differences but the data clearly shows than Northern FL is NO warmer than Southern CA in winter" (lol). Are you reading what you're writing.

Also kind of slick how you used San Diego…in EXTREAM southern California…Pasadena (NOT ALONG THE COAST AT ALL)…then compared to Pensacola in EXTREAM northern Florida. I thought we were talking about the coast?

Here is a more accurate high/low along the EXTREAM North Florida Atlantic Coast and the EXTREAM southern California Pacific coast…

San Diego:
Nov 70/54
Dec 66/49
Jan 66/50
Feb 66/52

St. Augustine, FL :
Nov 74/56
Dec 68/49
Jan 67/46
Feb 69/48

Clearly Atlantic north Florida is just as warm (if not WARMER) than in San Diego in far southern California. Did I miss something?. You seem like a very bitter person. Has the cost of living and madness of California caused this (lol). Enjoy the oil slicks my friend…remember keep your mouth closed when you go under water (lol)..

Nice try though…

Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Now your contractdict yourself (again).
I didn't contradict myself, you apparently have reading comprehension issues here. Technically it is colder according to averages, just not by a lot.

Quote:
Here is your original quote…”Sure in SOUTH FLORIDA, in case you forgot there is the northern part of the state that is not warm year round and is actually colder than social in winter”
Yes and technically parts of Northern FL are colder than Southern CA in winter. The data shows that. And it can get much colder than Southern Ca too. Just compare their record lows. San Diego has never recorded a temperature below 29F while both Pensacola and Fernadina Beach have had record lows in the single digits and plenty below 29F.
Quote:
Also kind of slick how you used San Diego…in EXTREAM southern California…Pasadena (NOT ALONG THE COAST AT ALL)…then compared to Pensacola in EXTREAM northern Florida. I thought we were talking about the coast?
Are you blind? I compared San Diego (coastal SD too) to PENSACOLA.
Then I said "And lets look at some inland cities" and compared Pasadena to TALLAHASSEE for a more fair comparison for inland and coastal cities.

Did you not see the data for Tallahassee too or just conveniently ignore it b/c it doesn't fit your viewpoint?

Quote:
Here is a more accurate high low along the EXTREAM North Florida Atlantic Coast and the EXTREAM southern California Pacific coast…
If you're gonna compare extreme Northern Florida then actually do that instead of picking a city south of Jacksonville.

Fernandina Beach, Fl:
Nov 72/56
Dec 65/48
Jan 63/44
Feb 65/47

San Diego:
Nov 70/54
Dec 66/49
Jan 66/50
Feb 66/52

Yes most of Florida is warmer than Southern CA during the winter but not all of it and that is what I was pointing out.

Quote:
Did I miss something?
haha, yes you missed a lot apparently.
Quote:
You seem like a very bitter person.
I could easily say the same thing about you here and suggest you take a look in the mirror. Nice how you have to result to petty personal insults though, not surprised given your tone.

It's just interesting how I actually never insulted Florida in this thread and actually like the state but since you seem to be very bitter about this you let the insults and stereotypes fly left and right. Says a lot about you.

Also considering you are in FLORIDA I really wouldn't attempt to revel in CA's problems considering FL suffers from much of the same crap; foreclosures, high unemployment, CRIME, illegal immigration, bad schools, etc... It's not exactly doing any better and with a less diverse economy to fall back on to as well.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Yes and technically parts of Northern FL are colder than Southern CA in winter.
Oh now it's "parts" of Northern Florida. Ok.

and you think I have reading comp issues (lol).

You prove to me the twisted outlook people in CA have about the "real" world. So how this...

CA wins, it better than Florida. Feel better.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
You prove to me the twisted outlook people in CA have about the "real" world.
That's hilarious that you use some random internet sight for your basis of opinion on Californians. Try getting out in the real world more often.

Quote:
So how this...

CA wins, it better than Florida. Feel better.
Unlike you I never considered this a competition or was saying one was "better" than the other. But you on the other hand clearly saw it that way from your initial post. I was just correcting your exaggerations and false statements you made about Southern CA. Hopefully you understand the difference, doubtful though.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
We do all realize the the most southern part of Florida is the Key's???

Or are you calling the Miami area south Florida?
Um, Granny, I have never met ANYONE who would dispute that Miami is in South Florida, Floridians or otherwise (and I used to live there!).

Old 10-02-2009, 06:06 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
The Keys may be South Florida, but they are not MAINLAND South Florida. Miami is South Florida and so is where I live too, in Naples, SouthWEST Florida since so many like to differentiate between the East (South) and West (SW) Coasts of Florida. I am about 25 miles from the Everglades. That is about as far south you can get without swimming.

Incidentially, it was in the 80s last Christmas. Lovely having the oven on cooking dinner for hours and having the AC blasting away.

Is Southern Ca. that hot the end of December?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or