U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:26 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,538,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Because California has a lot of haters without reasonable reasons, therefore people make up absurd things, for instance, the Pacific is cold.
It is not absurd and is really much more simple thank you think: the Pacific IS cold, compared to the Atlantic. This is a known fact. No secret. No conspiracy. No California hate. A fact, and all you need to do to prove it is look up average ocean temps by month. Even the southernmost CA beaches barely get as warm as the Mid-Atlantic beaches in the summer, forget about the South Atlantic, especially Florida, or Hawaii even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:42 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,128,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It is not absurd and is really much more simple thank you think: the Pacific IS cold, compared to the Atlantic. This is a known fact. No secret. No conspiracy. No California hate. A fact, and all you need to do to prove it is look up average ocean temps by month. Even the southernmost CA beaches barely get as warm as the Mid-Atlantic beaches in the summer, forget about the South Atlantic, especially Florida, or Hawaii even.
I'm not saying the Pacific isn't cold. I said it's an absurd reason to blow off an entire state. Where did I mention a conspiracy or a secret anywhere?

And the Pacific is really not that unbearable. Some Easterners call people who can't take snow babies and whatnot, yet complain about the Pacific water. Some Easterners can be babies, too.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying the Pacific isn't cold. I said it's an absurd reason to blow off an entire state. Where did I mention a conspiracy or a secret anywhere?

And the Pacific is really not that unbearable. Some Easterners call people who can't take snow babies and whatnot, yet complain about the Pacific water. Some Easterners can be babies, too.
It's not about being a "baby." It's not that we hate colder water, I go to Maine which has water about as cold as Southern California and I love it there, it's just that when you're putting California against Florida, beaches will obviously be a topic of discussion and warmer water and maybe a more tropical-like atmosphere will appeal to more people. No need to be so defensive about it or act as if it's absurd. Maybe you just don't like that Florida is "winning" in that regard? I mean it seems Southern California is winning here by a landslide anyway, people are kind of bashing Florida, so what if it has warmer water? It does, end of.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,128,322 times
Quote:
It's not about being a "baby." It's not that we hate colder water, I go to Maine which has water about as cold as Southern California and I love it there, it's just that when you're putting California against Florida, beaches will obviously be a topic of discussion and warmer water and maybe a more tropical-like atmosphere will appeal to more people. No need to be so defensive about it or act as if it's absurd. Maybe you just don't like that Florida is "winning" in that regard? I mean it seems Southern California is winning here by a landslide anyway, people are kind of bashing Florida, so what if it has warmer water? It does, end of.
Why would I not be defensive of my home state? It's okay to be defensive. You're always defending New Jersey and the East, no?

It's fine the topic of beaches has come up. It's fine that some people prefer Florida beaches because of the warmer water. There's nothing wrong with that. However, when one blows off all of Southern California, as the poster I originally was referring to did, due to the temperature of the Pacific, then yes, I will become defensive because I find it absurd. We're not solely talking about beaches here. There's more to Southern California and Southern Florida than just beaches. If we're taking into account everything that's awesome/special/cool about both Southern California and Southern Florida, dismissing all of Southern California just because the Pacific Ocean is cold is, to put it bluntly, dumb, in my opinion. If we were solely discussing beaches, I wouldn't have made that comment, but we're not. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Last edited by theraven24; 03-23-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,602,167 times
Yes, there is more life to beaches. I live on the beach here in Miami Beach, in San Diego I also lived on the beach, and while there I rarely used the beach. Here I use it a bit more, but still it's not the defining part of my life.

That being said, a lot of snow birds flee the cold for the dream of living on the beach. There Southern California can't compete with any spot in Florida. It's just the way it's. Of course Florida doesn't have mountains and outside Miami has no large cities like Los Angeles.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Because California has a lot of haters without reasonable reasons, therefore people make up absurd things, for instance, the Pacific is cold.
Quote:
Why would I not be defensive of my home state? It's okay to be defensive. You're always defending New Jersey and the East, no?

It's fine the topic of beaches has come up. It's fine that some people prefer Florida beaches because of the warmer water. There's nothing wrong with that. However, when one blows off all of Southern California, as the poster I originally was referring to did, due to the temperature of the Pacific, then yes, I will become defensive because I find it absurd. We're not solely talking about beaches here. There's more to Southern California and Southern Florida than just beaches. If we're taking into account everything that's awesome/special/cool about both Southern California and Southern Florida, dismissing all of Southern California just because the Pacific Ocean is cold is, to put it bluntly, dumb, in my opinion. If we were solely discussing beaches, I wouldn't have made that comment, but we're not. Do you see where I'm coming from?
You're allowed to defend California, but you said that citing the Pacific being cold as a negative is "absurd" and I quoted a post above in which you called people who say things like that "haters." It's not absurd nor is anyone a hater to claim the fact that the Pacific Ocean is colder than the Atlantic and in the summer Florida has warmer beaches/water. That's all I'm saying. You seem mad that it comes up a lot in conversation but why wouldn't it? When talking beaches, how comfortable it is to spend time in the ocean is very relevant. Most prefer warmer water. Now sometimes water in Florida can be too warm, like when parts of the Gulf Coast reach the high 80s or 90 in the summer which I find nice yet odd, but water in the high 70s/low 80s is generally seen as more comfortable.

The ocean is not a reason to blow off all of Southern California but you never know someone's personal preferences and what they value more. I couldn't care less about mountains and love the beach, so for me, my version of a comfortable more desirable beach is very important. Again, it's not all about beaches but beaches are major aspect of both regions so it's hard to write it off depending on what you like or don't like, especially if you're vacationing. For a vacation I prefer warmer water, more tropical for sure. To live in , I may pick California regardless.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,815,654 times
SoCal is better

Old 03-23-2015, 01:46 PM

148 posts, read 199,262 times
Both are huge regions. SoCal has better weather than Florida by a long shot though.

I would take anywhere in SoCal that is nice and safe over any part of Dade County besides the City of Miami Beach.

I would take the bad parts of Broward over the bad parts of SoCal. But I would take the bad parts of San Diego and Orange Counties over the bad parts of Dade. The bad parts of LA (sadly, the vast majority of the city) and the bad parts of the Inland Empire (Moreno Valley for instance which has become bad due to the influx of gangsters from formerly black parts of LA like Compton, Watts, and Inglewood) are equally horrid to the bad parts of Miami/Dade County, but I would take Miami over SoCal in that aspect because although both are bad, in Florida I can actually defend myself whereas in California law abiding folks have a hard time defending themselves or getting a firearm etc.

And generally, given the choice I would choose anywhere in Palm Beach County (ghetto parts of Lake Worth and WPB excepted) and the few nice and American parts of Broward (Cooper City, Wilton Manors, Parklands, parts of Davie, parts of Hollywood (although less and less each year unfortunately) and parts of the city of Fort Lauderdale that are safe and American (the closer to the ocean, the better) over anywhere in SoCal except for North SD County, Huntington/Laguna Beach, Malibu, and Brentwood LA.

Overall, SoCal can be great if you're very wealthy and can live the California lifestyle in a few exclusive locations but if you're just a middle class person you can afford a much better lifestyle in South Florida.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:06 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,491,623 times
Quote:
Because many people don't like cold water. It can be very uncomfortable. Florida water temps are much more desirable IMO, all year round.

It's only discussed when Southern CA is a topic because for such a beachy place people love to brag about, it has freaking cold ocean water and most East Coasters are not used to it, also because it is often as a region conpared to Florida and therefore see above for the reason again.
But beaches are but ONE item in a laundry list of the state’s attributes, and local water temp would be but ONE element in that single entry. Reflexively blowing that up at every opportunity IS ridiculous, as evidenced by the many people who love living here and for whom the significance of beaches barely registers.

And California DOES have some beautiful beaches. Whatever negativity you feel necessary to impute beyond that is entirely your baggage. Whoever you, from your entirely subjective perspective, have in mind who brags about the beaches fully knows the water temp. In fact, everybody sentient being knows the local temperature of the world’s largest ocean, but that doesn’t stop many of them acting like they’ve made some Earth-shattering discovery. On more than a couple occasions I’ve dived off Two Harbors on Catalina Island in 72 degree August water, 85 air, no wind, amazing visibility, only to return the bar and hear some cracker whine about how cold the water is.

Next time you visit the beaches off Nice, Barcelona or many other beaches in the Mediterranean, make sure to whine loudly to the locals about the water temps. Also make sure to act like you were taken completely surprised and compare it to Gulf Shoes, Alabama. It’s charming. Really.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,406,912 times
To be fair the Mediterranean water gets much warmer than the Pacific in California.

Sorry-I couldn't help myself by adding to an already ridiculous argument.

For comparisons sake:

California beaches really are some of the most beautiful in the country, and I hate to beat a dead horse but the water temps could be a lot better-especially since the weather doesn't ever really get too hot/humid in the first place.

I know that it would be semi-torturous for me to live in a place like Northern Cali where I could stare at the beautiful beach and ocean all day but never really enjoy/swim in it.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-23-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or