Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
But beaches are but ONE item in a laundry list of the state’s attributes, and local water temp would be but ONE element in that single entry. Reflexively blowing that up at every opportunity IS ridiculous, as evidenced by the many people who love living here and for whom the significance of beaches barely registers.

And California DOES have some beautiful beaches. Whatever negativity you feel necessary to impute beyond that is entirely your baggage. Whoever you, from your entirely subjective perspective, have in mind who brags about the beaches fully knows the water temp. In fact, everybody sentient being knows the local temperature of the world’s largest ocean, but that doesn’t stop many of them acting like they’ve made some Earth-shattering discovery. On more than a couple occasions I’ve dived off Two Harbors on Catalina Island in 72 degree August water, 85 air, no wind, amazing visibility, only to return the bar and hear some cracker whine about how cold the water is.

Next time you visit the beaches off Nice, Barcelona or many other beaches in the Mediterranean, make sure to whine loudly to the locals about the water temps. Also make sure to act like you were taken completely surprised and compare it to Gulf Shoes, Alabama. It’s charming. Really.
Why are you so defensive? Calm down. Pull the stick out of your a** and get over yourself.

Pacific water is cold. Fact. I don't hate California or its beaches or the Pacific. I haven't even added my opinions to this other than I like warm ocean water. You guys asked why so many focus on water temps in this discussion, I answered. You don't like it? Tough. It is what it is and stop victimizing yourself and your coast. It's not that big a deal. Again - it seems some of you don't like hearing that California has cold water. What else would explain this ridiculous reaction you just gave me?

And btw, the Mediterranean is cold, too. I've been already but thoroughly enjoyed it and its beauty regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 02:40 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Why are you so defensive? Calm down. Pull the stick out of your a** and get over yourself.

Pacific water is cold. Fact. I don't hate California or its beaches or the Pacific. I haven't even added my opinions to this other than I like warm ocean water. You guys asked why so many focus on water temps in this discussion, I answered. You don't like it? Tough. It is what it is and stop victimizing yourself and your coast. It's not that big a deal. Again - it seems some of you don't like hearing that California has cold water. What else would explain this ridiculous reaction you just gave me?

And btw, the Mediterranean is cold, too. I've been already but thoroughly enjoyed it and its beauty regardless.
Please. You yourself justified clinging to this chew-toy is because the local shores have been falsely advertised as bathwater. Who exactly made that misrepresention? I’m sorry if David Hasselhoff deceived you. I’ll talk to him right away.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Please. You yourself justified clinging to this chew-toy is because the local shores have been falsely advertised as bathwater. Who exactly made that misrepresention? I’m sorry if David Hasselhoff deceived you. I’ll talk to him right away.
Look - you and raven asked why people focus so much on ocean temps in conversations regarding Southern CA and especially with FL in comparison. I answered. That's all this is. Anything else is in your head.

It's not a big deal at all. I'm not attacking any region. I'm just answering. However you interpret it is your problem.

Also please go back and read because I never said anyone said that Southern CA DOESN'T have cold water, so...

Old 03-23-2015, 02:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Look - you and raven asked why people focus so much on ocean temps in conversations regarding Southern CA and especially with FL in comparison. I answered. That's all this is. Anything else is in your head.

It's not a big deal at all. I'm not attacking any region. I'm just answering. However you interpret it is your problem.
Fair enough. Peace.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Peace.

I mean like I said there is also a little too warm - the Florida Gulf Coast. Clearwater Beach in July, water temp was 85-89. Oddly high, still loved it, but not nearly as refreshing as high 70s/low 80s. Like I also said, Maine has similar water temps to Southern CA and I love it up there. Seriously no hate, no offense meant from me.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
You're allowed to defend California, but you said that citing the Pacific being cold as a negative is "absurd" and I quoted a post above in which you called people who say things like that "haters." It's not absurd nor is anyone a hater to claim the fact that the Pacific Ocean is colder than the Atlantic and in the summer Florida has warmer beaches/water. That's all I'm saying. You seem mad that it comes up a lot in conversation but why wouldn't it? When talking beaches, how comfortable it is to spend time in the ocean is very relevant. Most prefer warmer water. Now sometimes water in Florida can be too warm, like when parts of the Gulf Coast reach the high 80s or 90 in the summer which I find nice yet odd, but water in the high 70s/low 80s is generally seen as more comfortable.

The ocean is not a reason to blow off all of Southern California but you never know someone's personal preferences and what they value more. I couldn't care less about mountains and love the beach, so for me, my version of a comfortable more desirable beach is very important. Again, it's not all about beaches but beaches are major aspect of both regions so it's hard to write it off depending on what you like or don't like, especially if you're vacationing. For a vacation I prefer warmer water, more tropical for sure. To live in , I may pick California regardless.
Did you see what the person I was referring to wrote? They said the temperature of the Pacific would basically excuse all of Southern California. My "hater" comment was about people in general, not the poster. And it's true, California has lots of haters.

I'm not going to go into the water temperature, as I already said I don't care some people prefer warm water. I'm not mad at that.

You re-stated my entire point: The ocean (temperature) is not a reason to blow off an entire section of the world.

I'm stopping here, since that was my main point from the beginning.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:47 PM

22 posts, read 26,419 times
I live in Socal,the water in new york in winter is warmer than california in summer lol its like fricking Alaska,only 2 species of fish live on the beaches of Socal.but i do enjoy the winter weather in socal,in the 70's and 80's in winter.im a fisherman,pain in the @ss during some seasons

Old 03-23-2015, 05:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life112233 View Post
I live in Socal,the water in new york in winter is warmer than california in summer lol its like fricking Alaska,only 2 species of fish live on the beaches of Socal.but i do enjoy the winter weather in socal,in the 70's and 80's in winter.im a fisherman,pain in the @ss during some seasons
The water in SoCal currently is about 20-30 degrees warmer than in the NY area right now FYI.

Ooh, what kind of fish species lives on the beach? That sounds really interesting a species of fish that can live on land!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:31 PM

im not a big fan of water temperature.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The water in SoCal currently is about 20-30 degrees warmer than in the NY area right now FYI.

Ooh, what kind of fish species lives on the beach? That sounds really interesting a species of fish that can live on land!
so...you live in the bay area,wonder how cold the water gets up there,must be artic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.