U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,783,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah, i don't get the cheez -whiz thing...or as the locals say "whiz-wit"
i've never had a cheese steak..i prefer my heart valves to be unclogged....its tough though because i live next to jim's steaks on south street. i smell it in the air..

i've heard great things about tony luke's though....they use provolone..at least that's real cheese......

ok, back to pizza....
not to get too off topic, but i thought it was wit-wit or wit-witout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM

456 posts, read 1,440,488 times
I'm biased being from Chicago so of course chicago style is my favorite. To me there's nothing better than a slice of chicago deep dish! One slice is more than enough for one meal.

I've had St. Louis Style before-I think its disgusting. I remember there was Provolone on it.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:29 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,442,522 times
you name the type of cheeze and if you want onions

so it would be whiz-wit or whiz-whitout

you can also get provolone at most places and american is often an option

I used to get nothing but provolone - but converted to whiz because it usually goes better

you can also dress up your steaks in many a different fashion - love pizza steaks and many varieties of the chicken cheese steak

as for pizza - i prefer NY thin crust - i don't mind deep dish, but to me it's not pizza - it's more of a midwest creation (add a lot of cheese and throw it into a casserole) ..... if it was invented in minnesota instead of chicago they'd call it Pizza Crust Hotdish

i like new haven style when they keep it basic - in part because the focus is on the crust & sauce ......... imo, many places go to heavy on cheese, which when added in mass doses and put on the pizza drowns out what makes the pizza taste so good

in italy you'd get just a small sprinkle of cheese on your pizza and it was amazingly good because the sauce was killer, the crust perfect and ingredients fresh

Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM

8,115 posts, read 17,337,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I find it funny that Chicagoans find the need to attack New Haven style pizza...perhaps you've finally found a smaller city to pick on since you have been a wannabe NY city lap dog since the creation of this country.

Or your just jealous or clueless.

Perhaps all three.

Here is the reality. You've probably never had fresh clams dug a few hours prior, cooked properly and are thinking of fishy tasting rubber bands...that's what most people think. Not so.

Think of the most tender, juicy piece of chicken you can find with a little twist of flavor and you got it. Fresh properly prepared clams are heavenly.

This is also New England...New Haven is a shoreline city...duh. Pepe's has had more presidents and celebrities eat there than Chicago has produced and it aint because it makes people "puke".

Seriously.

When in the sometimes two hour wait for pizza at Pepe's you'll find you are standing in line with people who have driven sometimes 3-4 hours away just to get the pie. Like or hate the pizza, it's a fact. What part of that you don't get is beyond me.

As for burning the crust, I'll forgive your lack of culinary knowledge on what happens to wheat flour when mildy burnt like that...you can't replace that flavor by piling on more crap to disguise the lack of a proper crust...ala a three foot thick pizza.

In Italy (Which I am fist generation of and have family still), it's about using what's A. Local (ala clams) B. Fresh and C. Keeping it simple. All the things I don't see in your "Italian" pizza but Pepe's contains.

But what do I know...
Standing ovation for JViello.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,220,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
not to get too off topic, but i thought it was wit-wit or wit-witout?
lol!!! it took me a while to figure out what the hell they were saying too!

Finger Laker got it right...

Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 PM

187 posts, read 477,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Malnati's is pretty much a Unos clone and very good. Ricobenes on 26th St. makes a first rate Unos clone AND their own very good thin crust. Not to mention the breaded steak sandwiches. Ricobenes has a big parking lot and when I had the urge for Unos it was alot easier to go to Ricobenes instead. And the crowd at Ricobene's is real Chicago, not a bunch of tourists, know what I mean?
I know what you mean. And remember, Lou's ought to be a clone. He got his start in the pizza business working for Uno's.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,442,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
lol!!! it took me a while to figure out what the hell they were saying too!

Finger Laker got it right...
next is onto the mastery of ordering from a food truck when asked "salpepakeship"

Old 07-17-2008, 12:47 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,762,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
I know what you mean. And remember, Lou's ought to be a clone. He got his start in the pizza business working for Uno's.
Can't forget the Home Run Inn. 45 years ago my Dad would drive from our house at Austin and Madison over to the original place on 31st west of Crawford to get a pizza there.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Doesn't Lou Malnati's also offer Deep Dish?

Si senor! Strangely I prefer Lou's thin crust to deep dish. Good stuff!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:41 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That's disgusting! LOL

Typical "Americanizing" of classic world foods. Sigh...

I'd hate to see your version of how Mexican food should be!

I'm glad to see you admit that you think food is "disgusting" by simply seeing it and never having had it though...brilliant!
Its not disgusting. Funny how youre being hypocritical and calling Chicago-style pizza's cheese "disgusting", but then rip on me for commenting on clam pizza as being disgusting. Some people....

In any case, I dont like clams. And the thought of clams with tomato sauce and cheese makes me feel like doing the "technicolor yawn".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.