Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I live in NYC so I eat NY Pizza alot....but I tought all Pizza were the same. I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if already answered but what is the difference betweeen all four Pizza's?
St. Louis-style pizza distinguishes itself from others by using some bizarre processed cheese that nobody in their right mind (that excludes most of St. Louis) would eat on a pizza, or much of anything else for that matter.

Chicago has two distinct styles of pizza. One is a thin-crust variation that differs from NY-style pizza in the following ways: 1) the crust is thinner: 2) the crust is typically more firm/less flexible than NY-style, to the point that it's cracker-crisp around the edges; 3) the sauce is less sweet and more acidic; 4) the pizza is cut in a criss-cross pattern yielding lots of little pieces (I hate this style of cut, by the way). The second type is stuffed pizza, which someone else in the thread fairly accurately described as "pizza casserole." Contrary to popular belief, the crust is NOT thick. However, the pizza itself is very thick and the crust serves as a container much the same way it would for an apple or blueberry pie: the crust goes up the edges of the baking pan. The ingredient order is this: crust, cheese, ingredients (if any), another layer of cheese, and red sauce on the top with a generous sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese. The net result looks like this.

New Haven-style pizza is a thin-crust variety, with the crust having similar thickness and consistency of NY-style, though commonly it's in an irregular shape -- don't expect a perfectly round New Haven-style pizza. Also, New Haven pizza often uses a cream-based white sauce in place of a tomato-based sauce. However, tomato-based sauce is also acceptable -- it depends in some part on your preferred ingredients. Finally, New Haven style is very light on cheese, and typically uses parmesan cheese instead of mozzarella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Chicago Style for me.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM

893 posts, read 790,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
New Haven CT has the best pizza in the world, case closed. Brick oven, thin crust. Example a:

And, the white clam pizza, which might be single best delicacy served in the U.S. (not to be found anywhere else):

http://www.roadfood.com/photos/1297.jpg (broken link)

Can you say "Game, set, match"?
It's burnt. What's up with that?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
Wow! We're on the 12th page already. My, how we love our pizza. While most people have their preferences, I bet most of us wouldn't turn down a decent pizza done in any style. I wouldn't. I voted for New York, because I love thin crusts, and I don't know a thing about the other two styles. I really love Italian pizza, but until we annex Italy, I can't vote for that US style. I'd love to try more Chicago style pizza, because I've only had it once and it was the most disgusting thing. It couldn't have been at all representative.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:19 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Wow! We're on the 12th page already. My, how we love our pizza. While most people have their preferences, I bet most of us wouldn't turn down a decent pizza done in any style. I wouldn't. I voted for New York, because I love thin crusts, and I don't know a thing about the other two styles. I really love Italian pizza, but until we annex Italy, I can't vote for that US style. I'd love to try more Chicago style pizza, because I've only had it once and it was the most disgusting thing. It couldn't have been at all representative.
Chicago style has two. one is thin crust which New York style really isn't. It's cut into squares. Then there is deep dish cut traditionally.

New York style is too flimsy and greasy. i don't know how they are ahead of Chicago.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
Ahh, but there is something oh so enjoyable about folding your greasy pizza in half. Hmm. Maybe it goes hand in hand with folding the New York Times in half. At any rate, all this talk makes me want pizza, but I'm on a diet. Curses!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM

937 posts, read 864,343 times
New Haven style is the best in my opinion. NYC style is awesome too. Never had St. Louis style and Chicago style is disgusting.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its not disgusting. Funny how youre being hypocritical and calling Chicago-style pizza's cheese "disgusting", but then rip on me for commenting on clam pizza as being disgusting. Some people....
Your first mistake is assuming that I have never had a mouth full of cheese...your second is that I have never had real deep dish pizza. The 7 years of visting in-laws in IL must have been a dream.

Your third mistake is not accepting the fact that you have never had a "white clam pizza" but say "gross". (There is a hint 6 words back that you are about to get schooled on...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
In any case, I dont like clams. And the thought of clams with tomato sauce and cheese makes me feel like doing the "technicolor yawn".
See, you are clueless.

1. There is no tomato sauce on the WHITE clam pizza.

2. There is no cheese on the white clam pizza. (Okay a little fresh grated cheese...but no "cheese" like you mean.)

3. I'm willing to bet you've never had a fresh shucked and properly cooked clam. (Maybe I'm only 2 out of 3 but we can't be perfect all the time. ) Pepe's doesn't use gross canned clams...they come in fresh from the shore about 600 feet away and are shucked fresh for the pizzas in the restaurant.

Here watch the Roadfood video again so you don't sound so clueless:

Roadfood: Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana

If you had said "tried it don't like it". Fine.

But to come on, bash the hades out of something you've not only never tasted...but never even seen or smelled is TRUE ignorance.

To further the discussion a little bit...there is more to "New Haven Pizza" than Pepe's. I'm actually a fan of Sally's sauce a little more than Peps (http://sallysapizza.net/default.aspx) (broken link)...and nothing beat heading over to Libby's after a good pie as well.

You dont' think New Haven Pizza has a following? LOL

Here is a video of a guy who FLEW his small plane several hundred miles just for a Pepe's pizza! LOL

YouTube - NEW HAVEN PIZZA FLIGHT

Edit: Notice the White Sox hoodie he is wearing too. Hint hint...

This is a Sally's pie.

http://sallysapizza.net/images/100_0120.JPG (broken link)

But again, what do I know...

Last edited by JViello; 07-17-2008 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
It's burnt. What's up with that?
You serious?

That's the whole idea!

Burning the crust quick in a SUPER HOT coal fired oven just burns the outside of the crust and releases semolina oils and gives it such a flavor. The crust is still soft on the inside with a crunch on the outside...oh man, I'm heading to Pepe's this weekend. LOL

Think of charing a steak on the grill just enough to get the goodness and you get the idea.

That's why the coal fired brick ovens make pizza you can't replicate in a gas fired "pizza oven" no matter how hard you try. You just end up with a burnt pizza, and I can assure you, these pizzas do not taste "burnt" That's a big piece of New Haven Style Pizza. (New York to in many regards.)

Old 07-17-2008, 06:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
This is a Sally's pie.

http://sallysapizza.net/images/100_0120.JPG (broken link)

But again, what do I know...

Looks to me like you know good pizza, that thing looks delicious. I'll bet the texture is wonderful. Man, I got half a mind to jump in the car right now, let's see, 12-14 hours maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.