Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Okay, just called 6 different pizza 'places' in St. Louis area. Only two said that they use a mixture of Provolone and mozzarella. They rest said mozzarella. Whatever, St. Louis thin crust is the best. It is not disgusting. Not too sure that I would belive everything that I read on 'wiki'. And, like every poll around here, you will never, ever get all to agree on one thing. That is what makes different foods so great. Take care.

Did you call Imo's; the so-called creator of the St. Louis style pizza? The thin crust in St. Louis is no different from thin crust pizza any where else. It is that nasty provel cheese that makes a pizza a St. Louis Pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Did you call Imo's; the so-called creator of the St. Louis style pizza? The thin crust in St. Louis is no different from thin crust pizza any where else. It is that nasty provel cheese that makes a pizza a St. Louis Pizza.
that's the impression I got - it's the cheese that's the differentiator, not the crust - new haven and NY also are "known" for thin crust.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 AM

13 posts, read 53,942 times
mmm for lunch I want:

NY pizza, St Louis pizza, or Scranton pizza (Chicago pizza sounds good too but I've never had it)

I do not want:

clam pizza or Florida pizza (Dominos is way better than any Florida pizza I've had)

Old 07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Um, I wasnt referring to you.

Dang, its Friday, people! Relax that trigger finger a bit.
Sorry there bud... carry on.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Sorry there bud... carry on.
No biggie, just wanted to point that out, thats all.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Pizza should be the official city data dish.
When you're moving what's the easiest thing to eat while you're
still unpacking your stuff ? On a budget vacation, or between where you're
coming from and going to pizza is your friend. Every city has a pizza joint.
The size, shape and variation is only limited by your imagination.

For me it's almost impossible to pick a favorite, depends on what
I have a taste for. Whether it's at a Chicago restaurant with couples
having pan pizza with wine. The guys eating huge spicy greasy meaty
pies and ice cold bear watching a ball game. Of course there's the
kids events where you have like twenty boxes and an ocean of soda.
It's all good. Publicly one of my public favorites is the White Lady from the
Temecula Pizza Co. Privately there was a joint in Chicago on Pulaski
and I can't remember that made heart clogging sausage and jalapeño
we would order every Friday at the shop. I only wish I had some
cold slices right now for breakfast.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,419 times
This is my favorite chicago style pizza place......and it's in Detroit!:

PizzaPapalis Chicago Pizza

Old 07-18-2008, 10:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dont waste your breath with that guy. I told him that I hate clams in the first place and he still wont let it go, stating "you cant call it nasty unless you try it".

Just the thought of that white clam "pizza" is summoning the spew.
Yea that guy is a jerk...clueless. He uses culinary terms and actually compares pizza to how it's made in that place called "Italy".

I would totally ignore him too.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:59 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
NY/New Haven style is traditional and the best.
You are correct, and I'm not saying that with "regional posturing".

True story: I have a cousin in Livorno Tuscany. (Sort of industrial port city). On my last visit he - who has never been to the USA at the time, was all excited to take me to a new pizza experience. REAL Italian pizza made by some Neopolitans that moved North to Tuscany.

I told him I already have had it...he looked confused and didn't believe me.

Well, the pizza was DAMN good but let me tell you - it was almost a side by side with New Haven style pizza. In fact if I blindfolded you and told you the pizza was from Sally's you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The one thing that was different to me was the olive oil...obviously it's much better in Italy. When he tried New Haven style pizza he was shocked that we had that quality of pizza in the USA.

I've had pizza all over Italy from the Almafi coast to Rome and it's the same all the time...And I have never, ever found "Chicago Style" there. Ever.

Joe Carlucci from Carlucci's a New Haven style pizza joint in Danbury CT has gone up against the world's best and is one of the World Pizza Champions..two Gold Medals and one silver in Italian competitions.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
As much as I respect your opinion JViello, the thread asks "Which US Variation of the pizza is better??". It doesn't ask "which US Variation of pizza is most like what you can find in Italy (the OP is acknowledging, as I do, that all US pizza is a variation of an Italian dish). Now, if you define 'better' as "like Italian pizza" or "can be found in Italy" then that is your prerogative, however, I don't know that everyone would share your definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.