U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:13 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,633,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPerson45 View Post
WOW!!!!!! That pizza looks outstanding. I envy the person who ordered it. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
I'm jealous. LOL, looks delectable.
Come on up...Princton isn't THAT far!

P.S. It tastes even better than it looks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:31 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,260,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Well maybe Chicago pizza has nothing to do with Italy. most pizza has plenty to do with Italy.
Maybe loosely. Pizza as Americans know it is mostly an American invention.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:22 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,764,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Well maybe Chicago pizza has nothing to do with Italy. most pizza has plenty to do with Italy.

I dunno, there's a few Italians in Chicago, I reckon they know what they're about.

In any event pizza seems about as Italian as chop-suey is Chinese. Like chicken Vesuvio or Italian beef and breaded steak sandwiches; Italian-American food.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 PM

937 posts, read 676,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Come on up...Princton isn't THAT far!

P.S. It tastes even better than it looks!
I think I will. LOL

Old 07-18-2008, 08:15 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times
So many of us judge our pizzas as much by the sauce as the toppings, and mainly by the crust. We really must remember that the old pre Colombian pizzas had no tomato sauce or hot pepper flakes and they really aren't unique to Italy or Sicily.
There are Greek, Turkish, Indian and North African versions and most likely many others. Although they wouldn't be called "pizzas" , they are all flat-breads with some sort of toppings. God I love food !

Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,504,605 times
Where's the Stuffed-Crust option, lol.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:36 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,633,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe loosely. Pizza as Americans know it is mostly an American invention.
The keyword here was originated. Pizza is not "loosely" tied to Italy. That is the birthplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I dunno, there's a few Italians in Chicago, I reckon they know what they're about.

In any event pizza seems about as Italian as chop-suey is Chinese. Like chicken Vesuvio or Italian beef and breaded steak sandwiches; Italian-American food.
Not really Tom. There is pizza in Italy. It's good, eaten more than you think and looks very much like New Haven and New York style pizza.

There is a "sheet" pizza served in the Roman region that is a bit thicker but it's not a casserole by any means.

This is a pizza made in Napoli - the birthplace of Pizza as we know it.

YouTube - Pizza in Napoli "Del Presidente"

Simple, and fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
So many of us judge our pizzas as much by the sauce as the toppings, and mainly by the crust. We really must remember that the old pre Colombian pizzas had no tomato sauce or hot pepper flakes and they really aren't unique to Italy or Sicily.
There are Greek, Turkish, Indian and North African versions and most likely many others. Although they wouldn't be called "pizzas" , they are all flat-breads with some sort of toppings. God I love food !
While I understand what you are saying, I would argue that it would simply be called "flatbread". Flatbread is not pizza. Pizza is a tomato pie that uses what can be considered "flatbread" as a base, and is unique to Napoli in origin.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,764,946 times
Quote:

Not really Tom. There is pizza in Italy. It's good, eaten more than you think and looks very much like New Haven and New York style pizza.

There is a "sheet" pizza served in the Roman region that is a bit thicker but it's not a casserole by any means.

Yeah, 45 years ago when I went to St. Ignatius on Chicago's West Side I used to stop in a bakery on Taylor St. called DiLeos and get a square of thick, bready pizza cut with a scissors from a large sheet. I still know a few bakerys and restaurants in Chicago that have that.

And I know they eat pizza in Italy, my point is that foods change when people come to America and come in contact with new foods or old foods that are cheaper and more available than in the old country. Italian-Americans in Chicago took pizza in several directions (and so did a Jew, Ike Sewell).

Old 07-19-2008, 12:11 PM

187 posts, read 477,458 times
Quote:
Your sounding a bit clueless to me - a person with a large family in Italy who also visits fairly frequently. You should go sometime...it's really nice. Be sure to try it al taglio when in Rome. You'll find it in just about every corner shop. It's the closest thing you'll find to your Chicago "Pizza casserole" in case you get homesick.

"Herbs and Spices" LOL Your killing me. LOL I didn't know Colonel Sanders made abeetz. (That's "Pizza" to us "New Haven style" folks.)

Con affetto,

J

Rather than address my point that American pizza is better than Italian pizza, in my opinion. You took the opportunity to show me and everyone how Italian you are. Not to mention a snob. I've been to Italy more times than I care to remember, and my opinion remains unchanged. If you don't like my choice of words, thats your perogative. But don't use this forum to make a snobbish ass out of yourself. WE GET IT! YOUR ITALIAN! BIG F'N DEAL! LOL! LOL!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:51 PM

937 posts, read 676,302 times
New York Style for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.