U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2008, 05:57 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Let me guess. You don't live on the coast (Midwest?) and wouldn't know a fresh properly prepared clam if it you hit in the nose?

Read the thread for the details...
Plenty of people who live in the Midwest and know fresh seafood. I'm one of them. There is nothing like eating lobster on the coast of Maine (which coming this September, I plan to be doing) or fresh clams (which I've also had). In this mobile day and age, in a city as transient as Chicago, it is ignorance to assume that because of one's current living situation, he or she is a culinary Neanderthal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM

1,526 posts, read 2,558,532 times
okay I'm a pizza junkie. I'll admit it.

I've had pizza in the following US Cities:
Atlanta- Uncle Vito's?
New Orleans - recommend Mark Twain's highly
Baton Rouge - Rotolo's
Huntsville - Tortora's is fantastic
Miami
Tampa
Arlington, VA - near Ballston mall _ Go Caps!
Washington DC- might have been Alexandria
Baltimore
Ellicott City - Roma (i think)
Cincinnati - La Rosa's - good sauce
Chicago - Lou Malnati's and Geno's
New Haven - Amazing place , Modern, Sally's, Geno's and more
Farmington, CT - Naples or Olees
Hartford - too many to mention
Haddam, CT - Haddam Pizza - solid effort
New London, CT - I think the place was Al Forno, pretty good
Willington, CT - potato pie is impressive
Boston - Pizzaria Reggina is very good
Cape Cod
Upper Vermont - where John LeClair is from
Long Island (Port Jeff) - Pizzaria Pizzaria
Brooklyn - Grimadli's
Manhattan - John's, Ray's, Famous Ray's. Original Famous Ray's. Famous Original Ray's, and a couple of others.
Seattle
Phoenix
Denver - also Bojo's in the hills
Houston - Panjo's pizza back in the 70's & 80's was amazing
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Dallas
St Louis - this is not good. Cracker with sauce, and weak toppings. Provel?
Columbus see St Louis

I think that covers the US, now for Europe:

London
Amsterdam - across the street from a "Coffee shop", some of the funniest people watching ever
Utrecht - Grotto on the canals is fantastic.
Gorinchem- small town, great pizza
Brussels- near St Catherine's square
Hamburg-
Frankfurt-
Odense (Denmark) - not good
Roma - Capitano's in Ostia, good stuff
Venice
Florence- about two blocks from St Mark's (its Mark there right?)
Perugia
and some place near the Alps where Pope JP 2 went
Lugano, Switzerland
Paris - place near the Bastille was awesome

I get around and am working on a trip to Naples in the next year.

Anyway,

Mark Twain is my favorite - being from New Orleans, the sauce has something extra. Great crust, toppings, etc.

Modern Apizza in New Haven - fantastic pizza, but with better service than Pepe's or Sally's.

Tortora's Pizza in Huntsville, AL - when I moved here I was figuring I would lose weight as the pizza was pretty bad. Might as well eat salad... but then I found Tortora's and its bellisima! The head chef is on the national pizza team, Joe Carlucci, and they do a great job. Never thought I'd have New Haven style pizza in Huntsville.

Euro pies: The one by the Bastille stands out, Capitano's in Ostia (Rome) was great - I had it twice in one day, that's how great.

Oh, I had pizza in San Pedro Sula, Honduras back in 1978 - place was called Napoli. Excellent, I'm sure its gone by now.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:10 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,020,581 times
FCeddie, good call on la rosa's in cincinnati. have you had chester's in hamilton, just north of cincinnati? it's the best i've ever had, and i've had real st. louis, chicago and new york. it might be homerism, or it might just be that good. the crust is incredible.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 PM

155 posts, read 407,306 times
nyc long beatiful pizza chi thick beatiful pizza umm you got to love it

Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM

937 posts, read 676,205 times
Nyc style is the best outside of Italy.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
I personally prefer St. Louis style. Less crust, more pizza, and more of the good part. IMO's is delicious. I however also love New York and Chicago style too. I will eat any pizza style, whether it be deep dish (Chicago), thick crust (New York), or thin crust (St. Louis).

Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,096,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I personally prefer St. Louis style. Less crust, more pizza, and more of the good part. IMO's is delicious. I however also love New York and Chicago style too. I will eat any pizza style, whether it be deep dish (Chicago), thick crust (New York), or thin crust (St. Louis).
NYC pizza is traditionally a very thin crust pie. Sicilian style pizza is thick crust.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,252,619 times
NYC-style crust is actually sorta thick compared to the thin-crust style that prevails in the Midwest and particularly Chicago (despite Chicago being more famous to outsiders for its mega-thick pizza). Done right, Midwest thin crust is barely thicker than a saltine, and nearly as crispy.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,220,867 times
New haven

Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,096,163 times
Greek style pizza has a thicker crust and is found in most of the Greek owned establishments in New England and NY. But if you go into the Italian shops in NYC and in CT you'll find the crust to be very thin. LaManda's in White Plains, Pepe's in New Haven and Domenick and Pia in Waterbury are perfect examples of traditional thin crust pizza in the Northeast region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.