U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM

5,729 posts, read 9,116,537 times

Advertisements

New Haven style is not solely defined by its Clam Pizza. It was invented in New Haven if I am not mistaken by Frank Pepe around 1920. Rest assured that Wooster Street and the other pizza parlors in New Haven pump out plenty of tomato sauce laden pizzas during their daily business hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:23 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,886,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Like there is a "New Haven" style anything. LOL! PLEASE!
If you've truly 'been everywhere twice', then you would know about New Haven pizza and its long history on the US culinary scene (and yes, the above poster is correct, clam pizza is only one type of new haven style pizza).

Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
j33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Taken for a ride by who, the Wicker Park tough guys? Guys that work at Starbucks with manpurses, careful beards, ironic T-shirts and non-threatening tatoos?
Hahaha! As a resident of the neighborhood directly south of Wicker Park, I can assure you, we haven't been a tough lot since the late 80's. I can think of nothing less threatening than a gang hipsters.

Don't get me wrong, I love my neighborhood, and have lived here for years, but it is pretty milquetoast these days, and while sometimes that can get irritating, I'd much rather deal with that than move back to the areas I used to live (in which a relative of mine who visited me once found himself with a gun to his head and I heard gunfire and saw open drug dealing on my street corner).

I guess this is a long way of saying, I don't know about this 'beeneverywheretwice' guy, and I certainly can't imagine he's much to be reckoned with beyond the Internet.

I find posturing over pizza pathetic. I have had wonderful New York, New Haven, and Chicago pizza (I've got to find out about this stuff from St. Louis now). I've also had horrible pizzas from the above three cities, so ultimately, it is about the place you go to eat your pizza, not the city that produces it.

I have to admit though, some of my fellow Chicagoans are not coming across too well on this thread (seriously guys, c'mon), but rest assured, they are just a very vocal minority.

Last edited by j33; 07-17-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM

187 posts, read 477,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
If you've truly 'been everywhere twice', then you would know about New Haven pizza and its long history on the US culinary scene (and yes, the above poster is correct, clam pizza is only one type of new haven style pizza).
You need to read my earlier posts. I've heard of and seen it up close. I've also heard of "Scranton style" and "Hoboken style", what's your point?. I'll repeat there are only 2 legitimate styles of American pizza recognized nationally or internationally, NYC and CHI. The rest are just quaint small town wannabes.

And really, like there is a "New Haven style" anything. LOL. You guys are too funny. LOL.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I find it funny that Chicagoans find the need to attack New Haven style pizza...perhaps you've finally found a smaller city to pick on since you have been a wannabe NY city lap dog since the creation of this country.

Or your just jealous or clueless.

Perhaps all three.

Here is the reality. You've probably never had fresh clams dug a few hours prior, cooked properly and are thinking of fishy tasting rubber bands...that's what most people think. Not so.

Think of the most tender, juicy piece of chicken you can find with a little twist of flavor and you got it. Fresh properly prepared clams are heavenly.

This is also New England...New Haven is a shoreline city...duh. Pepe's has had more presidents and celebrities eat there than Chicago has produced and it aint because it makes people "puke".

Seriously.

When in the sometimes two hour wait for pizza at Pepe's you'll find you are standing in line with people who have driven sometimes 3-4 hours away just to get the pie. Like or hate the pizza, it's a fact. What part of that you don't get is beyond me.

As for burning the crust, I'll forgive your lack of culinary knowledge on what happens to wheat flour when mildy burnt like that...you can't replace that flavor by piling on more crap to disguise the lack of a proper crust...ala a three foot thick pizza.

In Italy (Which I am fist generation of and have family still), it's about using what's A. Local (ala clams) B. Fresh and C. Keeping it simple. All the things I don't see in your "Italian" pizza but Pepe's contains.

But what do I know...
Oh, we're just having a little fun playing with you New Englanders.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
j33

Quote:
You need to read my earlier posts. I've heard of and seen it up close. I've also heard of "Scranton style" and "Hoboken style", what's your point?. I'll repeat there are only 2 legitimate styles of American pizza recognized nationally or internationally, NYC and CHI. The rest are just quaint small town wannabes.

And really, like there is a "New Haven style" anything. LOL. You guys are too funny. LOL.

You are certainly permitted to think that if you so desire. Do you belong to the Flat Earth Society as well?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,252,458 times
again, aside from one or 2 folks, the chicago folks don't know squat about classic pies. i think that casserole they call pizza is rotting their brains....

Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Taken for a ride by who, the Wicker Park tough guys? Guys that work at Starbucks with manpurses, careful beards, ironic T-shirts and non-threatening tatoos?

I wouldn't presume to tell east coast Italian people how to make a pizza any more than I'd tell people from Elmwood Park or Taylor Street.
Hey! FYI, every guy who lives in major, bustling, city needs a "manpurse". LOL! LOL! LOL!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
again, aside from one or 2 folks, the chicago folks don't know squat about classic pies. i think that casserole they call pizza is rotting their brains....
Where is everyone's sense of humour today?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,661,638 times
Quote:

I guess it would shock you that New Haven was also the birthplace of the Hamburger as we know it.

Louis' Lunch Home Page

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-b...es/ct/burger_1

It's near a small little known university called "Yale".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.