Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
St. Louis style pizza, thank you very much! Had friends from Mass. visiting. They loved our pizza. Local pub had the best thin crust w/lots of meat. Cheese was NOT provolone. Also have eaten pizza from many local pubs/taverns/bars. The best. Never any provolone. Don't know what everyone is talking about there. Chicago pizza is good also.
according to wiki (and this board) - st. louis style uses a cheese that is a combo of provolone, swiss, and white cheddar.

call me a pizza snob , but that is just WRONG . but since i'm up for anything, if i ever get to st. louis, i'll try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,732,570 times
New York without a doubt!! That white clam pizza sounds mighty tasty though!!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Like the Midwesterners who shudder at the thought of white clam pizza because they never have had it...
*Sigh* so we're back here again? Could it be we shudder at the thought of it because it just sounds disgusting? Do you shudder at the thought of a ketchup twinkie because you have never had one, or because it just doesn't appeal to your tastes?

The thing is, I actually like clams in many applications. I also like peanut butter, asparagus and oranges. But I know I don't want any of those things on my pizza. I also know I don't want clams on my pizza.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,039,217 times
No, I'm simply using this to illustrate a point to a person who is dismissing something as disgusting with which I'm not sure he's had any experience (the poster who dismissed Chicago style pizza in such a manner that I'm not sure he's ever tasted it properly made).

I get you don't like the idea of Haven style white clam pizza, you've made that very clear, and quite frankly, I don't really care. However, if I would like to discuss its existence, I'm well within my rights to do so, however disgusting you find the notion.

If the truth be known, I wasn't even thinking of you specifically when I posted that comment as you were not the only person who expressed disgust at the idea.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
*Sigh* so we're back here again? Could it be we shudder at the thought of it because it just sounds disgusting? Do you shudder at the thought of a ketchup twinkie because you have never had one, or because it just doesn't appeal to your tastes?

The thing is, I actually like clams in many applications. I also like peanut butter, asparagus and oranges. But I know I don't want any of those things on my pizza. I also know I don't want clams on my pizza.
Dont waste your breath with that guy. I told him that I hate clams in the first place and he still wont let it go, stating "you cant call it nasty unless you try it".

Just the thought of that white clam "pizza" is summoning the spew.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
NY/New Haven style is traditional and the best.
Chicago style is a midwestern concoction that is a bit nauseating. Man, I know a lot of chubby midwesterners.
Dude, you shall receive 80 lashes in public square for that one.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,524,381 times
Okay, just called 6 different pizza 'places' in St. Louis area. Only two said that they use a mixture of Provolone and mozzarella. They rest said mozzarella. Whatever, St. Louis thin crust is the best. It is not disgusting. Not too sure that I would belive everything that I read on 'wiki'. And, like every poll around here, you will never, ever get all to agree on one thing. That is what makes different foods so great. Take care.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,039,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dont waste your breath with that guy. I told him that I hate clams in the first place and he still wont let it go, stating "you cant call it nasty unless you try it".

Just the thought of that white clam "pizza" is summoning the spew.
Oh give me a break. I said that once to you. Good grief people. Get over yourself.

I am simply making a point that different strokes go for different folks, and that for those who would dismiss Chicago pizza as a 'disgusting Midwestern casserole' without ever trying it would be just as silly as those would dismiss as worthless and disgusting New Haven style pizza without ever trying it.

That is all I'm trying to say. I fail to see why this is so difficult for people to understand.

I don't care how you feel about seafood. However, I will call out people who dismiss entire regional dishes as worthless and disgusting in some sort of silly regional posturing as being ridiculous.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh give me a break. I said that once to you. Good grief people. Get over yourself.

I am simply making a point that different strokes go for different folks, and that for those who would dismiss Chicago pizza as a 'disgusting Midwestern casserole' without ever trying it would be just as silly as those would dismiss as worthless and disgusting New Haven style pizza without ever trying it.

That is all I'm trying to say. I fail to see why this is so difficult for people to understand.

I don't care how you feel about seafood. However, I will call out people who dismiss entire regional dishes as worthless and disgusting in some sort of silly regional posturing as being ridiculous.
Um, I wasnt referring to you.

Dang, its Friday, people! Relax that trigger finger a bit.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM

937 posts, read 857,943 times
Where is all the humour? This is just like a competition between CarMax and local used-car retailers. CarMax would easily win. LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.