Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The keyword here was originated. Pizza is not "loosely" tied to Italy. That is the birthplace.
Ya know, I doubt the Italians were the first lot to put a bunch of crap on a flat piece of bread. Similarly, what we call "pizza" in the U.S. was not born in Italy any more than General Tso's Chicken was born in China or the chimichanga was born in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Modern day pizza as we know it was invented in Naples, Italy in the 1800's. This is coming from someone that is not of Italian heritage.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Rather than address my point that American pizza is better than Italian pizza, in my opinion. You took the opportunity to show me and everyone how Italian you are. Not to mention a snob. I've been to Italy more times than I care to remember, and my opinion remains unchanged. If you don't like my choice of words, thats your perogative. But don't use this forum to make a snobbish ass out of yourself. WE GET IT! YOUR ITALIAN! BIG F'N DEAL! LOL! LOL!
Hmmm, let me see...You get hit smack between the eyes with some "facts" from a first generation Italian with a large family still there and all you can do is call me a snob. I'll take that as a concession. Thanks. LOL

I'm far from being a "snob". LOL Just pointing out I actually have - you know, living breathing family there and spend a considerable amount of time there with them...just like a social scientist may point out his or her credentials when speaking about a demographic issue.

Your trips via Norwegian Cruise lines don't give you that perspective.

And yes, you are clueless to every day Italian culture.

Ci sentiamo,

J

Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
I have had people tell me "you've never had any good pizza before". But I struggle to recount the times I've had bad pizza. Almost every slice I've ever had in my life has been good. Like the guy on this thread said that pizza is like sex, even if it's bad it's still pretty good!

Someday I will travel to Chicago and order a Chicago Pizza. The New Haven ones look pretty awesome too. I'll need to go there.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
New Haven CT has the best pizza in the world, case closed. Brick oven, thin crust. Example a:

And, the white clam pizza, which might be single best delicacy served in the U.S. (not to be found anywhere else):

http://www.roadfood.com/photos/1297.jpg (broken link)

Can you say "Game, set, match"?
I can say "Game, set, ewww!"

White Clam Pizza sounds absolutely sickening

Also, I haven't read the whole thread but what is St. Louis style? Is that the really thin crust like Imo's Pizza?

Also, New York style has an unfair advantage due to the Ninja Turtle influence of my younger years.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
NY pizza seems to be running away with it here. I guess nobody appreciates a good deep dish anymore

Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
All the times I've been to New Haven, I've never had a New Haven-style pizza. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm up there. I'll even give a slice of the white clam pizza a shot. I love white pizza and I love clams, so it's gotta be a winning combination, IMO.

I voted NY style. 18-20" pies, slices wider and longer than your head. Thin, hand-tossed base/crust, although in NY style, thin does not = the oyster cracker that Pizza Hut serves their thin crust pizzas on. Deep dish pizzas are good, but not the same. Too bready if you ask me.

Who wants to meet me at Lucali's after work?

Old 07-21-2008, 02:38 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
NY pizza seems to be running away with it here. I guess nobody appreciates a good deep dish anymore
34% hardly constitutes "nobody" - hell, our current president won with that percentage! LOL (ok people, you KNOW I'm exaggerating)

Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I can say "Game, set, ewww!"

White Clam Pizza sounds absolutely sickening

Also, I haven't read the whole thread but what is St. Louis style? Is that the really thin crust like Imo's Pizza?
Let me guess. You don't live on the coast (Midwest?) and wouldn't know a fresh properly prepared clam if it you hit in the nose?

Read the thread for the details...

Old 07-21-2008, 04:27 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Let me guess. You don't live on the coast (Midwest?) and wouldn't know a fresh properly prepared clam if it you hit in the nose?

Read the thread for the details...
Im not reading 18 pages of this thread.

Thanks for answering the question. It would have taken just as much time as your answer.

Personally I could care less what a properly prepared clam tastes like. Yuck any way it is prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.