U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America's Next Lost Cities
Cleveland, Ohio 10 6.94%
Detroit, Michigan 59 40.97%
Toledo, Ohio 3 2.08%
Buffalo, New York 9 6.25%
Albany, New York 0 0%
Gary, Indiana 44 30.56%
Terre Haute, Indiana 4 2.78%
Scranton, Pennsylvania 4 2.78%
Youngstown, Ohio 9 6.25%
Syracuse, New York 2 1.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Those who vouch for these cities (or other ghettos), any of you currently live in them?
Meh. Touche! I can see the city lights when I look out north from my home though. I'm only about seven miles south of the city limits. I'm currently stuck in the fishbowl they call the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,927,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Meh. Touche! I can see the city lights when I look out north from my home though. I'm only about seven miles south of the city limits. I'm currently stuck in the fishbowl they call the suburbs.
You are 7 miles out, I am asking who actually lives in these cities, not outside them in suburbia.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,666,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Those who vouch for these cities (or other ghettos), any of you currently live in them?
I really live and work in Youngstown. I live on the lower west side, and work downtown.

I can understand why Youngstown is on this poll, but I disagree with those who think it's going to be "lost."

Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 AM

I think the true "Lost" cities will be those that are designed around the automobile, especially if we elect a president who has no intention of weaning us off of oil. Charlotte, Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Houston, Atlanta...I'm talking about y'all!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:19 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,079,510 times
I would have to say Flint, MI. That city is the textbook answer for a 'dead city'. Why it's worse than the rest...Most of them at least have some sliver of something ti give them the possibility to turn around...Large city (to big to totally fail), nice suburbs, current initiatives for big turnaround plans, close to a major metro that's not dead, some type of industry that will always be 'needed or around'...Flint has none of these.

Its small enough to fail, no real large nice suburb base, still almost 100% reliant on the dead American auto/manufacturing industry, horrible crime rate & schools, very corrupt politicians and leaders, and a union/worker base that will drive any and every business imagineable away. You could throw Saginaw in there too, but it's smaller.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:59 PM

866 posts, read 3,827,486 times
I think that most of people who picked Detroit have not been to the city and have only heard of the media slamming it all the time. Many areas of Detroit are better than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Not all, but some. Look at a aerial photograph of the Detroit's downtown in 1985 and look at a picture of the city today. There is a huge improvement.

I agree that Gary has been declining for a long time now. It has not gotten any "renaissance" at all and may never get out of the hole it is in currently because nothing is planned for its future.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM

85 posts, read 95,946 times
Depends

Old 08-02-2008, 11:46 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,668,952 times
I've never been to Detroit. I've read a lot about it. Sure there are some good areas, and the population may have bottomed out. But a lot of it is still abandoned and decaying, you can't just deny that or wish it away. Every city has experience white flight, but Detroit seems to be one of the worst and one of the biggest.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 PM

409 posts, read 1,367,782 times
Cleveland has so much money in it, it is just stuck in the suburbs. Cleveland is reviving.

Unfortunately Gary, IN will probably only recover after the city loses its charter and all utilities are lost and everyone moves out. Miller Beach is a great affluent neighborhood of Gary though.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM

Could the four people who voted for Scranton please explain to me why they voted as they did while Albany garnered an impressive zero votes? What makes Albany so much more hip and cosmopolitan? We both have Starbucks. We both have major universities. We're both reasonably close to NYC (with Scranton also being close to Philadelphia and the beaches). We both have art museums. We both have skiing options (Scranton actually has a resort within the city limits). We both attract headline concerts. We both have moderate traffic congestion. We both have relatively low violent crime. We both have some great private schools. What gives? Is it because Albany is near Saratoga?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or