U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM

456 posts, read 1,440,212 times

Advertisements

What the hell is a Philadelphia accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:09 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,685,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
A YO ADRIAN!

*Think Rocky*

Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 21,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
"Philly" = "Phiwwy"
"gas" = "gez"

I can't think of an actor for an example; ever watch 'Hardball' on MSNBC? Chris Matthews has the remains of a Philadelphia accent. (Note: Rocky Balboa's was NOT a Philadelphia accent.) It's almost impossible to teach (thank god) or to lose, unfortunately. I work with a man who spent 18 months in speech therapy to get rid of his accent and I still detected it across a large room. Northern Maryland comes dangerously close, but with a little more of a Southern edge. Philadelphia makes New York sound like Oxford.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,795,546 times
What American accent do you have? Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

I was actually raised half my life in Texas and half near Boston and now I live in Florida. I can mimick an accent when I want or if I am home in Texas I can pick it up if I want to but otherwise I like stumping people when they try to figure out where I am from.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,412,741 times
My result was The Inland North, of course I'm from Wisconsin. Maybe a coincidence?

I don't know how they knew I was from the great lakes. They said I get mad when people say Wesconsin and Wisconsin.

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Old 07-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,455,026 times
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,123,398 times
I got Southern. I don't understand. Although I was born and raised in Miami, when Miami was still very much a Southern city, I definitely do not have a Southern accent.

I don't think this quiz is nearly as comprehensive as it should be.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 PM

4,460 posts, read 7,526,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppeace View Post
"Philly" = "Phiwwy"
"gas" = "gez"

I can't think of an actor for an example; ever watch 'Hardball' on MSNBC? Chris Matthews has the remains of a Philadelphia accent. (Note: Rocky Balboa's was NOT a Philadelphia accent.) It's almost impossible to teach (thank god) or to lose, unfortunately. I work with a man who spent 18 months in speech therapy to get rid of his accent and I still detected it across a large room. Northern Maryland comes dangerously close, but with a little more of a Southern edge. Philadelphia makes New York sound like Oxford.
LOL. Funny way to put it. The Philly accent is definitely not as notorious as New Yawkers or Bahstonians, but you know it when you hear it.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,010,055 times
This totally nailed me as a Midlander. Very cool. (Originally from Central Ohio).

Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,531,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I got Southern. I don't understand. Although I was born and raised in Miami, when Miami was still very much a Southern city, I definitely do not have a Southern accent.

I don't think this quiz is nearly as comprehensive as it should be.
Sometimes we aren't what we perceive. We hear ourselves in a much different way than others hear us. (As a vocalist, I've heard that waaaaaaay too many times.) I'm still learning, but I'm a little more conscious of my voice, as I have to listen to it day in and day out...picking through my lessons and fixing issues.

Also sometimes accents of relatives, friends, etc. rub off on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or