Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

The Northeast
The Midland
The Inland North
The South
Boston
The West
North Central

If you guys are unfamiliar with Philadelphia accents, here's a video clip of a conversation between two people who speak with them, Chris Matthews and Jim Cramer. Listen to them pronounce words with long O sounds "Those," "knows," etc. and how "America" becomes "Amurrica."

Example: Jim Cramer: Romney "Best Business Man In North America"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
My Result: The South

The Midland
The West
The Inland North
Philadelphia
North Central
The Northeast
Boston

This sounds correct: Born and raised in Atlanta, Father from Cincy, and a mother who spent a childhood bouncing from Orlando to Rochester/Buffalo,NY. Some of the Q's were odd.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:34 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Atlanta, Georgia Suburbs:
----------------Rough percentage of bar space.
1. Southern 77%
2. Midland 70%
3. Inland North 58%
4. West 43%
5. Northeast 42%
6. Philadelphia 36%
7. Boston 10%
8. North Central 4%

Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
I don't need to really take this test to say it...I pretty much have a completely typical Midwestern accent, although I may have some of the St. Louis accent too, which is in itself just another derivative of a Midwest accent. South of Highway 50, Southern Missouri is really kind of I would say at the definitive confluence of the Midwestern and Southern dialect. The same is true for Southern Illinois and Southern Indiana. The areas between Highway 50 and Highway 60 seem to be the meeting point for those dialects in these states. Most people from Missouri I have heard tend to have an accent that sounds more like the Lower Midwest than the South, however ...the Northern half of Missouri sounds most like the Lower Midwest...Southern Missouri is kind of where you have some people that sound more like the Lower Midwest and some people that sound more like the South, though you typically don't hear definitively Southern speech patterns until you are into the bootheel and Southeast region of Missouri near Kentucky, Arkansas, and Tennessee....the areas between U.S. Highway 50 and U.S. Highway 60 tend to have the typical speech pattern you'd expect to find in the very Southern-most parts of the Midwest. Still, the accent sounds more country than anything to my ear...it is nowhere near as slurred as the accents you hear in Kentucky and Virginia and the rest of the Upper South. So basically, I would say that most of Missouri tends to favor the Midland accent, and I guess mine should be classified as such.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
I was born in Queens but I've lived and went to school in Scarsdale my whole life. My dad has a Brooklyn accent so growing up around it has caused me to get it a little. I'm horrible with pronouncing "er" like mother... Instead I say "motha." I got made fun of when I went to Buffalo, NY because I swore and said "you pri*k mothaf**ka" to a Sabres fan for shoving me at HSBC Arena. I also say "New Yawk." I had speech classes from 2nd to 4th grade but it did nothing for me.

I got the Northeast.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:30 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
I think there is a Mid Atlantic accent which is a mix of northeast and a little bit of southern. A lot of AA People in DC, Baltimore and Philly say Farva for Father and Brova for Brother. DC & Baltimore say Merlin for Maryland. I sometimes hear the younger kids and teenagers say Eat In for Eating and Get In for Getting. That's definitely a northeast thing!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
I have a twang whatever the heck that means lol People will point out I said something "funny" even when I think I sound normal.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
A muddled Chicagofornia.
As anyone who's been to Chicago can testify
a Chicago accent is distinctly different from a midwest
accent. The old SNL Dikta skits are actually pretty close.
As far as the perceived valley speak of Sean Penn of
"Fast Times...." I have only heard that in the valley.
The west coast accent is not that pronounced.
I suspect that whichever company I'm with determines
which accent will eventually dominate, subconsciously of course.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
I've been mistaken for being from the North here. Although, when going to a large Midwestern city(just guess) I was asked if I was from the South. It was the end of the day and I was tired and I talk slower so maybe that was the clue.

They think I have a little accent in other parts of the country but I'm sure I could change that easily if I had to. I'm good with accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.