U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,672,550 times

Advertisements

Take the quiz and see what kind of accent you have.

What American accent do you have?

Im from NYC (The Bronx) and I got:

Your Result:The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Conneticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

The rest came out like this

Philadelphia
The Inland North
The Midland
The South
Boston
The West
North Central

Wow.....I never knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,172,799 times
I took the test a little bit ago and have a North Central accent. The other accents that came close were the West and Midland accents. I have taken this type of test a few months back and had a Midland accent. My friend from New York thinks that I have a Midwest accents and Southerners and a friend from the west coast think that I have have a Minnesota-like accent. I think that I have both. In the Sioux Falls area, there is both Midlands and North Central accents and more Midlands towards Omaha and more Minnesota north of Sioux Falls.

Most people from outside the Midwest think that I have a slight Minnesota-Fargo accent that is noticeable but not as strong as others with the accent. I have a habit of saying "ja" (sounds like yah) instead of yes and hang on to my o's a little long, especially when saying South Dakota or Minnesota. You bettcha, you know. I sometimes like to exaggerate the Minnesota-Fargo accent, but in good measure.

It is interesting how each of us have a different way of speaking. Not bad, but it is unique and spices things up.

Last edited by Chris19; 07-16-2008 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:18 PM

104 posts, read 220,557 times
Birmingham, Alabama

The Midland 95%
The West 84%;
The South 54%;
Boston 50%;
North Central 46%;
The Inland North 33%;
Philadelphia 27%;
The Northeast 21%;

o_O, nahuh, sumin's wrong

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,721,937 times
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

[in descending order after Philly]:

The South
The Midland
The Northeast
The Inland North
The West
Boston
North Central

Hmmm, I've lived most of my life in the Boston metro area. Hmmmm.

Okay, the other places I've lived have definitely had an influence, and mostly I've lived in Bahstin's suburbs, where the accent isn't very pronounced. Interesting that the combination of it all adds up to Philly. Hmmm. Surprised that Boston didn't score higher. Hmmmm.

In truth, I've often thought that a linguist who specialized in researching acquisition of language would find me a good research subject, because of the little of this accent and little of that accent I've picked up at various times in my life, and how it's all mixed together. I even lived at very early ages, which I've heard is largely when a lot of your pronunciation of various sounds gets wired in, in settings where I must have heard the accents of people from all over the U.S., and even likely from other countries, as I lived on a military base until the age of two, then for the next year in a neighborhood adjacent to a university. Everywhere I go, people think I'm from somewhere other than that place, even places I've lived for a number of years. I think people tend not to notice the pronunciations they're used to hearing all the time, so it would make sense that someone with a mix of accents would sound like an outsider anywhere.

But Philly? I've never lived there. Visited the area three times in my life. Whod'a thunk it?

Last edited by ogre; 07-17-2008 at 12:12 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Midlands. You are probably from Pennsylvania, (yes), etc. But my highest %, about 80% was western. I have lived in the west longer than in Pennsylvania. I feel I have a "mixed" accent. The real Pittsburgh accent is very strange. Remember Mr. Rogers? But I never really had it, b/c, I think, my mom wasn't from there. She was from Wisconsin. In my adult life, I have lived in Illinois for 7 yrs, Colorado for 28, and in NY, PA, DE, and CA for shorter times.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
houstonian. s. californian.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-17-2008 at 12:05 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,172,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Midlands. You are probably from Pennsylvania, (yes), etc. But my highest %, about 80% was western. I have lived in the west longer than in Pennsylvania. I feel I have a "mixed" accent. The real Pittsburgh accent is very strange. Remember Mr. Rogers? But I never really had it, b/c, I think, my mom wasn't from there. She was from Wisconsin. In my adult life, I have lived in Illinois for 7 yrs, Colorado for 28, and in NY, PA, DE, and CA for shorter times.
Do you come across too many people with the North Central (Minnesota-Fargo) accents in your area?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,566,105 times
Californian

Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Do you come across too many people with the North Central (Minnesota-Fargo) accents in your area?
Too many? No, not really. They are all welcome! That is a joke. Yes, there are lots of Minnesotans here, also N. Dakotans, more than S. Dakotans. They lose some of their accent over the years here.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,046,767 times
Eh. I don't think this is legit.

My results didn't seem quite right, and aside from that, accents are much more specific than just region (example: there's a big difference between a Lousiana accent and a Virginia accent, although both are considered southern).

Anyway, I'd describe my accent as mostly a General American accent, with some "WI vowels" (i.e., the way I say words like "bag", "flag", "no", etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or