U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 39,962 times

Advertisements

Well i'm planning a move with my fiance - we are considering charleston, sc or north of denver in the Loveland area.

She will be going to the MUSC in SC or Colorado University for master's, i am finishing my degree in turfgrass management... Where would be the better place to live? We haven't visited either place nor can we afford to or have time to.

We are both young in our early 20's and need to live somewhere where we can make some money... I've read Charleston has a poor job market, but I'd really like to live near the beach and there is a lot of golf there.

Colorado isn't as hot and I heard it is very nice. There are lots of golf courses in the Westminster area south of Fort Collins.. and it appears CO is more advanced than SC and would be a better place to work..

Please advise..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,046,767 times
Charleston has a lot of character and is growing at a healthy rate. Plus, it's on the beach.

Colorado is a really cool place and has some really nice cities/towns. And it's not too far from mountain recreation.

Both are great choices. I think it comes down to whether you're a beach person or a mountain person.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,172,799 times
Colorado has a lot of people in their early 20s. Many in the Front Range region, which includes Loveland. A lot of college my friends in their mid 20s now live in the Denver area, many of them in the downtown highrises. A couple friends are moving to Denver from Minnesota. Plenty of outdoors opportunities. The air is dry and comfy.

Charleston is neat and has a warm climate and plenty to do. The beaches are nice and I would love to head down and visit again. It is a fun area to visit.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,512 times
Default Colorado or South Carolina

Colorado's job market is not very good, many companies posting job openings just to see if they can get equivilant experience for less money (most companies are "high tech" so any jobs that are real are in the high tech industry (computer programming, etc...)

Cost of living in Colorado "Especially" the Northern Area you are speaking of, is HIGH in fact the only cost saving to living in colorado is if you own a home your property taxes are about 1/3 of what they would be in NY for example: NY property tax on Long Island about $8k, Queens about $4k, Colorado property tax northern area = $3k.

Car insurance - about $2500/year for two cars with good driving records, everything else is comparable to NY with your salary being 1/2 of what you would earn in NY. Average home price in Colorado in the area you are looking $250-$300k... City of Denver proper homes are all over the board. Rent anywhere from $700/mo for small apt and up.

Mountains are great if you like camping and skiing - other than that there is not much to do

South Carolina - Cost of living is much lower than Denver for everything listed above- however Jobs are not plentiful in SC either... although you would be near a main Port (Charleston) where ever there is a main port (imports/exports) jobs are always more plentiful and are not specific to one industry (ie: Denver= high tech)

Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM

351 posts, read 540,937 times
Woooo! Go Golden Buffaloes!!!!!

CU alum '07

Old 08-31-2008, 08:00 AM

117 posts, read 477,188 times
mmmm... and we are trying to leave Charleston ( Mt Pleasant or Mt Perfect) after 5 years and get west to the mountains! But the age group is vastly different - we're in our 40's with kids. There is a great downtown scene here in Charleston, Folly Beach is a fun place to live and it would depend if you like the Southern attitude. There are alot of young people here. i think there are opportunities anywhere...southern just hasn't worked for our family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.