Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times

Advertisements

Interesting how the most dangerous states are sunbelt states (esp southern states). I guess it isn't all it's cracked up to be if you're looking for high crime. Go northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 02:38 PM

7,976 posts, read 10,545,212 times
It's a trade off I guess. The southern states have much lower tax rates and cost of housing. The Northeast, New England especially, is unnaffordable for most of us. I would LOVE to move there, but don't think I'd make it economically. Obviously, an area where people are wealthy and that is costly to live in, is going to have a lower crime rate. I don't think they needed to spend a lot of money on research to find THAT out. But there aren't any more jobs available there for average workers in those places than there are down here.

I live in North Carolina, right near the South Carolina border, and get the South Carolina news from Greeneville every night. The crime IS pretty dismal. But you don't worry about it that much, you just go about your business and try to be smart about it. Much of the time, the crime is being committed by criminals against other criminals. Or someone has gotten themselves involved in a situation they shouldn't have gotten involved in.

Crime was EXTREMELY low in Montana; I never felt so personally safe anywhere I have lived. But, I was also bored out of my mind. It is just a little TOO secluded from the "real world" for me. I chose to move back where there are more choices, resources, and things going on near by, higher crime and all.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 PM

92,064 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
It's a trade off I guess. The southern states have much lower tax rates and cost of housing. The Northeast, New England especially, is unnaffordable for most of us. I would LOVE to move there, but don't think I'd make it economically. Obviously, an area where people are wealthy and that is costly to live in, is going to have a lower crime rate. I don't think they needed to spend a lot of money on research to find THAT out. But there aren't any more jobs available there for average workers in those places than there are down here.

I live in North Carolina, right near the South Carolina border, and get the South Carolina news from Greeneville every night. The crime IS pretty dismal. But you don't worry about it that much, you just go about your business and try to be smart about it. Much of the time, the crime is being committed by criminals against other criminals. Or someone has gotten themselves involved in a situation they shouldn't have gotten involved in.

Crime was EXTREMELY low in Montana; I never felt so personally safe anywhere I have lived. But, I was also bored out of my mind. It is just a little TOO secluded from the "real world" for me. I chose to move back where there are more choices, resources, and things going on near by, higher crime and all.
It depends on where you are moving to in the Northeast. There are some areas in the NE that are more affordable than many parts of the South or are about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.