U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:24 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not really when compared to places like New York, California, and cities like Seattle, Chicago and Boston.
I respectfully disagree. As a state, Texas is a very diverse. It has a large black, hispanic, and Asian population. In fact, Texas has the 2nd largest hispanic, 3rd largest black, and 3rd largest asian population.
The asian pop. is diverse as well. 2nd largest Vietnamese population, and a fast growing chinese and japanese population. Texas also has the largest Nigerian population in the nation.

Now Dallas and especially Houston can go toe to toe with any city not named New York and Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 11:12 PM

3,904 posts, read 4,886,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh please. Just because you didn't like it does not mean anyone else will not. Quit acting all high and mighty and full of yourself. Your post was mean spirited otherwise you wouldn't have insulted the way you perceive Texans. I lived in Texas for 20 years as well, moved out, but would love to go back. But you are harping on nothing but stereotypes. You say you lived in Texas for 30 years. Did you move out 30 years ago. I never been to a rodeo and nobody I know in Texas never been to one rodeo. We like BBQ as well as Tex-Mex and Soul Food. We like football including basketball, soccer, and especially baseball. So please, keep your little comments to yourself.
You are way off base with your insinuations.
Please note this Texans remarks. They don't believe you are entitled to free speech unless you agree with them. Thanks for proving my point.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:04 AM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Please note this Texans remarks. They don't believe you are entitled to free speech unless you agree with them. Thanks for proving my point.
Yeah, and your way off base with your perceptions. I don't care if you HAVE lived there 30 years, your perceptions are false. Please note this persons remarks. What he has said is nothing but senseless stereotypes of the people that live in Texas. You didn't respond to anything I pointed out. Nor have you responded to anyone else that called you out so thank YOU actually for proving my point.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Because your lying and trying to make Texas a bad place just because all you did was sit in front of your computer and not try and do anything with your life. The Rodeo isn't nothing big here in Texas and if you actually lived here, than you would've known that.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 AM

16,092 posts, read 36,565,737 times
Quote:
Don't even consider going to Texas ! You'll hate yourself.
If your idea of culture is rodeos,football and bar-b-ques and
you like trying to tie your shoe the same way your neighbor
does [because if you don't you'll be ostrasized] then you'll
like Texas.

"Ostrasized" ? Would you trust this poster to advise you on getting a PhD?

I grew up in Dallas, have not been to a rodeo in years but I do like BBQ and football a few times per year. I also like a good curry on Brick Lane in London!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I am a native Texan and lived there until I was 30 so I know very well what I am talking about. If you want to see Texas for what it really is I suggest leaving it for a while so you can see things from a different angle.
Like many of us you won't want to ever go back. This post isn't meant to be mean to people who have to live there.
I think I should try and help those in advance from making a serious mistake.
Did you live in Vidor?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 AM

Ankhharu where exactly do you live?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 AM

106 posts, read 282,702 times
Wow offtopic much?

OP why did you post this same thread in the Texas, education and general US forums? I answered you from an immigration stand point in the TX thread.

I just wanted to add- I am foreign and non-white and have lived in Austin for 5 years. Austin isn't as diverse as other major Texas cities and I much prefer Houston but I have had a great experience overall. The people are warm and friendly and I have had few instances where I have felt discriminated against and I have visited a number of TX cities.

My graduate program at UT is also ranked higher than the equivalent program at Yale and other ivy leagues. I believe we are #5 in the country over all behind Harvard, UC Berkley and others.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 PM

75 posts, read 168,948 times
Kerby, I don't care how long you have lived in Texas, but your comments about it are ridiculous. With what you say, I'm guessing you rode a horse everyday to work and kept on your cowboy hat inside.

Texas is absolutely not about cowtowns and rodeos. That is only PART of Texas -- a very small part. Texas is diverse in every which way. A thriving Hispanic culture is definitely present in the south, where I am from. A young, lively college city that is Austin...big business metropoli(?) that are Houston and Dallas. Sure, the Texas State Fair in Dallas is themed with the stereotyped "Texan culture," but that is not what you will find around every corner in Texas.

I can't believe you have that perception about Texas after living here for so long. You must have lived in redneck country. Because where I am from, Texas is anything BUT your perceptions...we generally get annoyed at the perception that we ride horses and wear cowboy hats and boots and all live on ranches. It's silly, ignorant, and frankly, plain stupid.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,594,675 times
Definitely the UK. Anywhere but Texass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.