U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 AM

9,908 posts, read 21,185,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise012864 View Post
I'm just tired of being in the midwest and want a fresh start. I've been giving serious thought to the Tennessee or Kentucky. I'm on medical retirement from my company so a job isn't an issue, kids are all grown and moved out so it's just me and the cat. I feel like at this point in my life I'd like to move to unknown land, no strings attached if you know what I mean. Any thoughts on people, places or things, etc?

City or country? Mountains or planes? Prefered amenities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 48,729 times
Thanks, great advise. I knew about the low taxes but the rest of the info is great. I know it's time for a change. I want to go to a town right outside of a big city. Close but no too close. Like a mid-sized town. I'm also unfortunately in a relationship with a married man (if you look at my other posts) and you'll see that I got very neg response. I do want to and know that I need to walk away. I figure this is the best/easiest way. I plan to make my move in sept/oct as I have a lot of business to take care of before I go not to mention finding a place there so any advise is great. Again, thanks. Deniswe

Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,495,927 times
Make sure you visit a few times before you move. I did the same thing and moved to TN for awhile. Hated it, with a royal passion. Moved back to IL and had to start at ground zero. Probably the biggest mistake of my life. lol

Anyways, good luck and make sure you visit a few times, and dont go with a "vacation mindset" either. Thats what I did and it came back to bite me in the arse real bad. Go with a "would I like living here" mentality.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:25 PM

11,908 posts, read 32,983,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Make sure you visit a few times before you move. I did the same thing and moved to TN for awhile. Hated it, with a royal passion. Moved back to IL and had to start at ground zero. Probably the biggest mistake of my life. lol

Anyways, good luck and make sure you visit a few times, and dont go with a "vacation mindset" either. Thats what I did and it came back to bite me in the arse real bad. Go with a "would I like living here" mentality.
You moved to a flat, ugly military town like Clarksville TN with a "vacation mindset"? What were you thinking??

But your suggestion is certainly valid. I cannot imagine anyone moving anywhere without making at least one (and preferably more than one) trip to scope things out and get a good feel for the area. Tennessee and Kentucky certainly aren't for everyone, just like Chicago isn't for everyone.

denise012864, I wish you the best as you try to make a clean break and start over. If you want a smaller town near a big city, in Tennessee check out:

Adjacent to Nashville:

Franklin
Gallatin
Hendersonville
Mount Juliet
Murfreesboro

Adjacent to Knoxville and the Smoky Mountains:

Maryville
Oak Ridge

Adjacent to Chattanooga and the Southern Appalachians:

Cleveland
Soddy-Daisy

Or look into the Tri Cities in Northeast Tennessee:

Bristol
Johnson City
Kingsport

Old 07-18-2008, 02:35 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You moved to a flat, ugly military town like Clarksville TN with a "vacation mindset"? What were you thinking??
Well, it started as a trip away from home (read:VACATION) to visit family that turned into a quick decision to relocate. I was turned on by lots of different things at first, probably because it was so different than here in IL..

I liked the slower pace of life at the time, something you dont get in Chicagoland. Turned out to get aggravating after a few weeks. lol I liked the different cuisine at first too, but didnt realize how bad Id miss Chicago's food either. I enjoyed the hills around town, as the town I lived in in IL at the time was completely devoid of hills. I even thought the red dirt/clay was really cool, until I realized that not much could be done with it, and that the yards were made up of clusters of icky crabgrass. I also enjoyed the little downtown, but later found out what a dud it was most of the time. I liked being kinda close to Nashville, but then realized that you could see all there was to see in one day in downtown Nashville, then it turned boring. I was lured by the cheap home costs, only to find out they were poorly built and junky, and that no jobs paid squat.

Things like that.... Make sense now?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:28 PM

11,908 posts, read 32,983,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, it started as a trip away from home (read:VACATION) to visit family that turned into a quick decision to relocate. I was turned on by lots of different things at first, probably because it was so different than here in IL..

I liked the slower pace of life at the time, something you dont get in Chicagoland. Turned out to get aggravating after a few weeks. lol I liked the different cuisine at first too, but didnt realize how bad Id miss Chicago's food either. I enjoyed the hills around town, as the town I lived in in IL at the time was completely devoid of hills. I even thought the red dirt/clay was really cool, until I realized that not much could be done with it, and that the yards were made up of clusters of icky crabgrass. I also enjoyed the little downtown, but later found out what a dud it was most of the time. I liked being kinda close to Nashville, but then realized that you could see all there was to see in one day in downtown Nashville, then it turned boring. I was lured by the cheap home costs, only to find out they were poorly built and junky, and that no jobs paid squat.

Things like that.... Make sense now?
It's too bad this forum wasn't around before then to save you the hassle. I don't know of many people who think Clarksville is a great place. If it weren't for Fort Campbell, I seriously doubt Clarksville would be the 9th fastest growing city in the country. I mean, if you check out the Tennessee forum you'll find very few posts about people moving to Clarksville which leads me to suspect that the vast majority of people who are moving there are forced to move there (i.e., military). But one good thing about Clarksville: it's not Hopkinsville KY.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:58 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,325,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think it would help to know what type of hobbies you have, stuff you like to do in your spare time, price ranges for homes, etc. Other than knowing someone is wanting a change from the Midwest and is on medical retirement, there isn't a lot to go on to make a recommendation.

She posted about what her hobbies are---which are not going to make her feel welcome anywhere she goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.