U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2008, 12:23 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,445,221 times
Reputation: 8936

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
And that Texas and Vermont were once independent Republics.
as were California and Hawaii. And Hawaii actually being a kingdom with a King and Queen and is the only place in the US with a royal palace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Reputation: 46045
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
as were California and Hawaii. And Hawaii actually being a kingdom with a King and Queen and is the only place in the US with a royal palace.
Trivia quiz for the toaster oven. Where is the only place in the United States where you drive on the LEFT side of the road?

See? We're such a diverse country, we need all those names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Reputation: 46045
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Well... I love America but hate their measurment system.
Now, hold the phone. You move here, and now you're trying to get us to change how we measure everything? Now, what if we moved to Stockholm and started mewling to get rid of your monarchy? After all, he's not like the Queen of England who has all the trappings of a real queen. After all, the King of Sweden goes to the movies just like everybody else. Walks up to the ticket window after standing in line, and says, "Vun ticket to Treeee Hoondred, please." No chopping off heads. No nothing. What kind of farcical monarchy is that?

So, I think several of us should go over the Swedish message board and demand the immediate abolition of the monarchy. After all, you're imposing the metric system on us. It only seems fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,445,221 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Trivia quiz for the toaster oven. Where is the only place in the United States where you drive on the LEFT side of the road?

See? We're such a diverse country, we need all those names.
well I've seen bad, clueless drivers in my area do that, haha. But seriously, is there a place like that here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Reputation: 46045
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
well I've seen bad, clueless drivers in my area do that, haha. But seriously, is there a place like that here?

BEEEEEEP. Time's up. The Virgin Islands. It was a former possession of Denmark, who decided they didn't deserve a place to cool, so they sold it to a country with more letters in its name. While the territory changed hands, the driving laws didn't change at all.

Wait. The Virgin Islands. That's another long name for another pretty great place to live. Sounds like my theory's holding up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,402,886 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
UK, United Kingdom, Britain, Great Britain.
The UK = United Kingdom BUT the UK, Britain and Great Britain are NOT all the same thing. It has to do with what countries are included.

The United Kingdom is Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. Great Britain is Scotland, Wales and England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Western Mass.
605 posts, read 2,220,329 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, let's turn that argument around. I think we should laugh at countries that have relatively few letters in their name, such as Laos or Yemen or Mali. You have to admit, they suck monkey balls as far as countries go. Peru isn't a terribly great place to live either, unless you can make a living off of fleecing tourists to Machu Picchu. Iran? No way. Iraq? A great place for arms dealers, but other than that it's like inner city Detroit with lots of sand. Cuba? People are trying to float across the shark-infested Florida Straits on the hulks of 57 Buick Roadmasters to get out of the place. That should tell you everything you need to know.

On the other hands, great countries seem to have more letters. Like The United States of America. Pretty long name, huh? Or The United Kingdom. New Zealand and Australia are pretty long, too. France is short, but their economy remains on a slow slide to developing country status. Same thing is true for Japan. China only has five letters, but in another hour or so, you'll feel like spelling it again.

Now, of course, Afghanistan is a cess pool, as is Kazakhstan. But, if you take the -stan off these names, then you're onto something.
I used to work in a city that's a stones' throw from this places which, by these standards, ought to be the centre of the Universe!

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Reputation: 46045
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
I used to work in a city that's a stones' throw from this places which, by these standards, ought to be the centre of the Universe!

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Has to be a country. But, I hear Minneapolis/St. Paul is a pretty great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,414 posts, read 59,910,649 times
Reputation: 54068
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
And that Texas and Vermont were once independent Republics.
Vermont? Really?

I knew about the others, but not Vermont. Hmph. My public-school education has failed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
 
11,898 posts, read 32,947,022 times
Reputation: 8670
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, let's turn that argument around. I think we should laugh at countries that have relatively few letters in their name, such as Laos or Yemen or Mali. You have to admit, they suck monkey balls as far as countries go. Peru isn't a terribly great place to live either, unless you can make a living off of fleecing tourists to Machu Picchu. Iran? No way. Iraq? A great place for arms dealers, but other than that it's like inner city Detroit with lots of sand. Cuba? People are trying to float across the shark-infested Florida Straits on the hulks of 57 Buick Roadmasters to get out of the place. That should tell you everything you need to know.

On the other hands, great countries seem to have more letters. Like The United States of America. Pretty long name, huh? Or The United Kingdom. New Zealand and Australia are pretty long, too. France is short, but their economy remains on a slow slide to developing country status. Same thing is true for Japan. China only has five letters, but in another hour or so, you'll feel like spelling it again.

Now, of course, Afghanistan is a cess pool, as is Kazakhstan. But, if you take the -stan off these names, then you're onto something.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but France's official name isn't "France" it's "La République Française."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top