Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:23 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
And that Texas and Vermont were once independent Republics.
as were California and Hawaii. And Hawaii actually being a kingdom with a King and Queen and is the only place in the US with a royal palace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
as were California and Hawaii. And Hawaii actually being a kingdom with a King and Queen and is the only place in the US with a royal palace.
Trivia quiz for the toaster oven. Where is the only place in the United States where you drive on the LEFT side of the road?

See? We're such a diverse country, we need all those names.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Well... I love America but hate their measurment system.
Now, hold the phone. You move here, and now you're trying to get us to change how we measure everything? Now, what if we moved to Stockholm and started mewling to get rid of your monarchy? After all, he's not like the Queen of England who has all the trappings of a real queen. After all, the King of Sweden goes to the movies just like everybody else. Walks up to the ticket window after standing in line, and says, "Vun ticket to Treeee Hoondred, please." No chopping off heads. No nothing. What kind of farcical monarchy is that?

So, I think several of us should go over the Swedish message board and demand the immediate abolition of the monarchy. After all, you're imposing the metric system on us. It only seems fair.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Trivia quiz for the toaster oven. Where is the only place in the United States where you drive on the LEFT side of the road?

See? We're such a diverse country, we need all those names.
well I've seen bad, clueless drivers in my area do that, haha. But seriously, is there a place like that here?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
well I've seen bad, clueless drivers in my area do that, haha. But seriously, is there a place like that here?

BEEEEEEP. Time's up. The Virgin Islands. It was a former possession of Denmark, who decided they didn't deserve a place to cool, so they sold it to a country with more letters in its name. While the territory changed hands, the driving laws didn't change at all.

Wait. The Virgin Islands. That's another long name for another pretty great place to live. Sounds like my theory's holding up.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:58 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
UK, United Kingdom, Britain, Great Britain.
The UK = United Kingdom BUT the UK, Britain and Great Britain are NOT all the same thing. It has to do with what countries are included.

The United Kingdom is Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. Great Britain is Scotland, Wales and England.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,906 times
Quote:
Well, let's turn that argument around. I think we should laugh at countries that have relatively few letters in their name, such as Laos or Yemen or Mali. You have to admit, they suck monkey balls as far as countries go. Peru isn't a terribly great place to live either, unless you can make a living off of fleecing tourists to Machu Picchu. Iran? No way. Iraq? A great place for arms dealers, but other than that it's like inner city Detroit with lots of sand. Cuba? People are trying to float across the shark-infested Florida Straits on the hulks of 57 Buick Roadmasters to get out of the place. That should tell you everything you need to know.

On the other hands, great countries seem to have more letters. Like The United States of America. Pretty long name, huh? Or The United Kingdom. New Zealand and Australia are pretty long, too. France is short, but their economy remains on a slow slide to developing country status. Same thing is true for Japan. China only has five letters, but in another hour or so, you'll feel like spelling it again.

Now, of course, Afghanistan is a cess pool, as is Kazakhstan. But, if you take the -stan off these names, then you're onto something.
I used to work in a city that's a stones' throw from this places which, by these standards, ought to be the centre of the Universe!

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
I used to work in a city that's a stones' throw from this places which, by these standards, ought to be the centre of the Universe!

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Has to be a country. But, I hear Minneapolis/St. Paul is a pretty great place.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
And that Texas and Vermont were once independent Republics.
Vermont? Really?

I knew about the others, but not Vermont. Hmph. My public-school education has failed me.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Well, let's turn that argument around. I think we should laugh at countries that have relatively few letters in their name, such as Laos or Yemen or Mali. You have to admit, they suck monkey balls as far as countries go. Peru isn't a terribly great place to live either, unless you can make a living off of fleecing tourists to Machu Picchu. Iran? No way. Iraq? A great place for arms dealers, but other than that it's like inner city Detroit with lots of sand. Cuba? People are trying to float across the shark-infested Florida Straits on the hulks of 57 Buick Roadmasters to get out of the place. That should tell you everything you need to know.

On the other hands, great countries seem to have more letters. Like The United States of America. Pretty long name, huh? Or The United Kingdom. New Zealand and Australia are pretty long, too. France is short, but their economy remains on a slow slide to developing country status. Same thing is true for Japan. China only has five letters, but in another hour or so, you'll feel like spelling it again.

Now, of course, Afghanistan is a cess pool, as is Kazakhstan. But, if you take the -stan off these names, then you're onto something.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but France's official name isn't "France" it's "La République Française."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.