U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 PM

402 posts, read 760,387 times

Advertisements

only people there are tourists. have to shuttle from parking lot to pier, and the restaurants arent as good and are way more pricey than better restaurants in downtown st. pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:18 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
When people were talking about "South of the Border" I thought they meant Tijuana or other border towns along the US-Mexico border b/c I have never been to NC or SC, but then I just looked it up. Wow, that has to be the classic cheesy god awful tourist trap. I can't believe they actually have something like that, it just seems so stereotypical and demeaning in a way to mexicans.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:46 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
When people were talking about "South of the Border" I thought they meant Tijuana or other border towns along the US-Mexico border b/c I have never been to NC or SC, but then I just looked it up. Wow, that has to be the classic cheesy god awful tourist trap. I can't believe they actually have something like that, it just seems so stereotypical and demeaning in a way to mexicans.
what adds to the "cheese factor" is while driving up or down 95, there are billboards for at least 200 MILES advertising this godforsaken place.

South of the Border (attraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

(Ok, it's 175 miles, I was close )

Seriously, I've been to a lot or heard of a lot of tacky places, but this "attraction" takes the cake. Pier 19 is a cultural paradise compared, LOL.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
OMG, South of the Border has to take the cake! End the thread, we have a winner. And to think I was going to add this place (even though it really is a cool place to stop and the people are friendly) Da Yoopers Tourist Trap & Museum.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,959,048 times
San Diego

Spent a week there this summer...kids wanting to go so bad as we saw pictures!

We were ready to go home after the first night but had already paid for a week at the hotel and wouldn't be able to get a refund.

That is the worst place. Crowded, dirty, high prices for everything and Sea World was boring. Sea world in Orlando was fun...but this one - never again!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 AM

4,459 posts, read 7,523,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
South of the Border!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha. That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
^^
LOL, you took right out of my mouth, I totally agree!!!!!

I agree with everyone who said Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/ and Sevierville, there really isn't much to do there...........
What are you looking to do??? Clarify the last statement...it's pretty startling.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
I'd have to put Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, Niagra Falls, Pigeon Forge, Branson MO, Las Vegas as a whole city, parts of the Orlando area, and sadly areas of Times Square in NYC.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 AM

721 posts, read 2,352,498 times
Anyone ever been to Wall Drug, SD? I was driving home from Seattle and saw signs for Wall Drug about 800 miles before arriving there. Tiny town of about 500 people with a drug store and shops. What the!@$%^

Old 07-18-2008, 09:09 AM

23,085 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
You know that one place that gives you shudders. That's filled with overpriced attractions and shops that are disgusting. List them here.

(In no order)
1.Myrtle Beach/Grand Strand, South Carolina(Thank God Charelston is right down the coast)
2.Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville, Tennesse (This one is quite a shame because the Great Smokies park is beautiful. Again, thank Jesus that Ashville's near by)
3.Branson, Missouri
4.Virgina Beach, Virgina
5.Panama City Beach, Florida
6.Niagra Falls, NY/ON(At least the falls are there)
Good list; I would add Daytona Beach, FL to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.