U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,538,196 times

Advertisements

It's not the food that does it, in my opinion. It's the inactivity. Look in other areas where unhealthy food is encouraged and no one walks anywhere: Rural midwest comes to mind.

Chubtown USA.

Painting with a really broad brush here, but in major Northeast cities (plus places like Chicago), people walk a lot. In areas like the Pacific NW or Mountain region, outdoor activity is encouraged and very common. SoCal is really image conscious (again, broad brush).

In the South? The food tends to be fatty, LOTS of people are fat, everyone drives everywhere, and folks don't exercise a lot.

All that = fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,342,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Therefore, you have been added to my ignore list
Oh whatever will I do now?

Get a job then get a life.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM

887 posts, read 2,669,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Akhenaton06,

I can see that you are posting on this forum so it is pretty safe to say that you are bashing me

The redneck location where you are currently located is reflected too much in your post for my taste

Therefore, you have been added to my ignore list
This is the exact thing he said to me!! Welcome to the elite club, Akhenation06.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,342,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
This is the exact thing he said to me!! Welcome to the elite club, Akhenation06.
Yeah, seems like it grows bigger the more he expresses himself.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,962,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It's not the food that does it, in my opinion. It's the inactivity. Look in other areas where unhealthy food is encouraged and no one walks anywhere: Rural midwest comes to mind.

Chubtown USA.

Painting with a really broad brush here, but in major Northeast cities (plus places like Chicago), people walk a lot. In areas like the Pacific NW or Mountain region, outdoor activity is encouraged and very common. SoCal is really image conscious (again, broad brush).

In the South? The food tends to be fatty, LOTS of people are fat, everyone drives everywhere, and folks don't exercise a lot.

All that = fat.
I think part of it is that it is cheaper to buy junk food than healthy. I was at the grocery yesterday and my husband loves homemade pizza. I was looking at the regular pepperoni vs the turkey kind, the turkey was twice as expensive but healthier. That seems to go with everything, the healthier, the more expensive.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I think part of it is that it is cheaper to buy junk food than healthy. I was at the grocery yesterday and my husband loves homemade pizza. I was looking at the regular pepperoni vs the turkey kind, the turkey was twice as expensive but healthier. That seems to go with everything, the healthier, the more expensive.
Yes and no. I agree that healthier processed foods are more expensive, but buying whole foods is healthier, all the way around. Is a bigger pain, especially if you have kids, but it's much better for you, and really not THAT expensive, if you know where to shop.

(I don't mean "Whole Foods" from the store "Whole Foods". I just mean unprocessed foods, like whole vegetables, whole grains, unprocessed meats, etc.)

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,143,611 times
Quote:

Chubtown USA.

All that = fat.
this is true but i can speak for chicago...tons of fat people TONS!!! and just because you walk doesn't mean you walk fast! and cities like chicago have elite transportation systems. you can take a train anywhere or a bus or a taxi, etc. the key with walking around chicago (like i do on a daily basis) is walking fast non-stop for long durations.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
this is true but i can speak for chicago...tons of fat people TONS!!! and just because you walk doesn't mean you walk fast! and cities like chicago have elite transportation systems. you can take a train anywhere or a bus or a taxi, etc. the key with walking around chicago (like i do on a daily basis) is walking fast non-stop for long durations.
Well, perhaps not all of Chicago. However, guarantee that if I left my apartment right now, I could walk miles before I'd see as many seriously overweight people as I could see in one trip to the grocery store in many sprawly sunbelt and midwest towns I've been to.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,143,611 times
Quote:
Well, perhaps not all of Chicago. However, guarantee that if I left my apartment right now, I could walk miles before I'd see as many seriously overweight people as I could see in one trip to the grocery store in many sprawly sunbelt and midwest towns I've been to.
you seem educated and well to do. i'm sure your neighborhood doesn't reflect the large african american communities such as the south and west sides that are suffering from the obesity epidemic at a larger (no pun intended) rate than other groups. check out the southern burbs like Harvey, Chicago Heights, and markham. tell me if you see fat people there...lol and fat people don't walk, they waddle. it's hard to respect them when they take up their seat and yours on planes, trains, etc. no one wants fat rolls hanging onto their leg or elbow as they ride to and from work. plus, nothing is worse than walking around the loop and having 2 or 3 obese women in front of you waddling side by side as they take up the entire walkway and you have to fight through on coming traffic to get by them as they seem oblivious to anyone else but themselves.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 04-20-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
you seem educated and well to do. i'm sure your neighborhood doesn't reflect the large african american communities such as the south and west sides that are suffering from the obesity epidemic at a larger (no pun intended) rate than other groups. check out the southern burbs like Harvey, Chicago Heights, and markham. tell me if you see fat people there...lol and fat people don't walk, they waddle. it's hard to respect them when they take up their seat and yours on planes, trains, etc. no one wants fat rolls hanging onto their leg or elbow as they ride to and from work. plus, nothing is worth than walking around the loop and having 2 or 3 obese women in front of you waddling side by side as they take up the entire walkway and you have to fight through on coming traffic to get by them as they seem oblivious to anyone else but themselves.
I've worked in those areas and am, of course, aware that it's an issue.

I'll amend my statement to include large swaths of Chicago in my list of areas in which people tend to walk more than folks who never walk anywhere that isn't inside of a mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or