U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,960,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yes and no. I agree that healthier processed foods are more expensive, but buying whole foods is healthier, all the way around. Is a bigger pain, especially if you have kids, but it's much better for you, and really not THAT expensive, if you know where to shop.

(I don't mean "Whole Foods" from the store "Whole Foods". I just mean unprocessed foods, like whole vegetables, whole grains, unprocessed meats, etc.)
That is true too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:13 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,861,695 times
This isn't a hard one to explain, since most of the south is filled with yankees that migrated down anyhow. Go to any beach in FL you can spot em a mile away; that lilly white,yankee skin burnt lobster red, flab bouncing around all over.

Joy and happiness turns into a southern hell as unsuspecting yankee little ones are relieved of thier ice cream cones by less than scrupulous seagulls.

Oh well, I don't really care for them yankees but someone has to provide the entertainment down here, just please go home and come back when you can't stay so long.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,535,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
This isn't a hard one to explain, since most of the south is filled with yankees that migrated down anyhow. Go to any beach in FL you can spot em a mile away; that lilly white,yankee skin burnt lobster red, flab bouncing around all over.

Joy and happiness turns into a southern hell as unsuspecting yankee little ones are relieved of thier ice cream cones by less than scrupulous seagulls.

Oh well, I don't really care for them yankees but someone has to provide the entertainment down here, just please go home and come back when you can't stay so long.

You're kidding, right?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
lol I just moved from Chicago 4 months ago and the people down here are MUCH fatter... yeah Chicago has some "fat" people but I see many people here 400+ pounds on the daily.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,142,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol I just moved from Chicago 4 months ago and the people down here are MUCH fatter... yeah Chicago has some "fat" people but I see many people here 400+ pounds on the daily.
is it mostly a racial thing like the stats say or does it cross all boundries?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,767,617 times
from what ive seen the midwest is running neck in neck with the south. i very seldom see slim, fit pple in the rural area where i live now. same holds true for the closest city to me. most look like they escaped from the fat farm, and plan to single handedly consume all that is fast food. the problem is mainly due to relying on take out, and excessive sitting at the pc on the job and in ones spare time. over worked, tired, stressed, take out seems the easy way, and the norm for many. very overweight seems to be a trend nationwide. think vegetarian, tofu, salads, fruits.

i love organic milk, its so much better, but as pple have said, eating organic does cost more. and with prices the way they are, i dont know how the less than wealthy families even get by these days.

all yankees burn, and dont tan? interesting theory. is that how the seagull can spot a yankee with a cone ready for the taking? speaking of entertainment, didnt you have a bush for a governor? now thats home grown entertainment websites are built on.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
\

i love organic milk, its so much better, but as pple have said, eating organic does cost more. and with prices the way they are, i dont know how the less than wealthy families even get by these days.
It doesn't need to be organic to be healthier than the processed stuff most Americans eat. Heck, "certified organic" can be a misleading title, and while the stuff is better for you on the whole, it has nothing to do with how much weight you gain.

Organic or no, it's all about less refined sugar, less highly processed wheat and corn, more whole foods, more fiber, etc. Whether chemicals are used in the production of these foods along the way is important to some, but not really what we're talking about here.

ETA: Oh. AND FEWER CALORIES! There's no reason to eat as much as we ALL do.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,767,617 times
i was talking about how organic products such as milk just taste better. eating a better balance of healthy nutritional foods without gross excesses does have something to do with how much a person might gain or lose. cut out the fast food, the fried foods, the red meat, well all meat actually except fish, and chances are the person isnt going to be gaining weight. combine that with a bit of moving around and watch the scale drop.

people want something quick and easy to prepare, but that doesnt always spell healthy. take a look at the vast frozen food sections in the grocery store, a staple for the bachelor, and easy fixins for the family too.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
i was talking about how organic products such as milk just taste better. eating a better balance of healthy nutritional foods without gross excesses does have something to do with how much a person might gain or lose. cut out the fast food, the fried foods, the red meat, well all meat actually except fish, and chances are the person isnt going to be gaining weight. combine that with a bit of moving around and watch the scale drop.

people want something quick and easy to prepare, but that doesnt always spell healthy. take a look at the vast frozen food sections in the grocery store, a staple for the bachelor, and easy fixins for the family too.
Well, while I agree that organic foods taste better, my point remains that a focus on whole foods (organic if possible, but not necessary) will generally generate the best result.

I live in a big city, but I could take anyone who wanted to go to the store right now. We could buy a whole chicken, a bag of rice, a bag of beans, and some fresh veggies for under 15 bucks. That's enough to feed a family of 4 dinner tonight, and the rice and beans could be prepared for many, many meals to come.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:19 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,617,685 times
Let's be real, while the South has a combo of factors that make it hit the hardest, the obesity epidemic is out of control in pretty much every region. There's no way that states everywhere should average around 20% obesity. And much of it has to do with policy. The truth is, if you want to live a healthier lifestyle, especially if you are working class, the odds are stacked against you by the major corn, agricorp, fast food, and other food lobbyists in Washington.

Many people stroll down the organic section and just walk right away because of sticker shock. While a lot of that is because more work has to go into organic farming(Which would make sense, more care = more quality) a large part of it is that organic farmers don't get the same subsidies and hand ups that conventional farming corporations do. Distributors of organic foods don't get the inside market info available to convention distributors and organic farmers don't get the subsidies that other farmers do. This adds to the cost.

Conventional farms may be able to produce more food for less, but as with all mass production, it's to the detriment of the quality of product you receive. Especially if it's out of season produce shipped from far away. Chemical fertilizers and pesticides kill the activity in the soil that keeps it healthy and keeps the plants nutritious.

Medium sized organic farms and coops would be a good thing. It would get more people back to work in agriculture and get more people conscious of what they eat. Too many people just naively assume that everything on the label must be good for consumption or the FDA or companies wouldn't put it in there. That is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or