U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,421,738 times

Advertisements

Ahhh yes the average American who isn't from Wisconsin who thinks everyone here drinks. I know plenty of people who don't drink including myself. I can't stand beer. YUCK!

I will say most of it is probably because our beer industry here and all our german and scandinavian roots here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 12:08 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,749,730 times
I see West Virginia is # 5, but you couldn't tell it from my family, who are usually lean, wiry and long-lived. I am 58 and still have one grandmother, 97. My other grandmother passed away a few years ago at 96. Both of them fried everything in bacon fat, kept in a can on the stove. Biscuits & gravy, fried chicken, cornbread, green beans & potatoes cooked for hours, and sometimes home-made crackling. My grandfathers lasted into their mid-80s, and they were rail-thin. And I take after them, 6 foot & 170 lbs.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:17 AM

97 posts, read 701,823 times
Here is a map I found.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,965,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby "The Punk" Wells View Post
Here is a map I found.

Wow it looks like all the fattest states are in the South! I am with Irishtom, cheap food is the fattiest (I will never understand why) and that is what the poor has no choice but to eat.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,253,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I see West Virginia is # 5, but you couldn't tell it from my family, who are usually lean, wiry and long-lived. I am 58 and still have one grandmother, 97. My other grandmother passed away a few years ago at 96. Both of them fried everything in bacon fat, kept in a can on the stove. Biscuits & gravy, fried chicken, cornbread, green beans & potatoes cooked for hours, and sometimes home-made crackling. My grandfathers lasted into their mid-80s, and they were rail-thin. And I take after them, 6 foot & 170 lbs.
I believe much of it has to do with processed food, Bobilee.

I'm originally from West Virginia. It is only for the most part the "post 1970s" generations that are overweight in large numbers there, now. My parents were also height/weight proportionate, but when they were younger they didn't have processed cheese spread, Little Debbie snack cakes, Sodas with high fructose corn syrup, etc. They are "natural" food, and any sweets were home made with just plain old sugar and flour - nothing processed, squeezed, or "simulated".

Today's generation (at least here in the U.S.) for the most part eats very little real food. Much of what many of us stick in our mouths has been processed to the point of only LOOKING like food, with much of the rest being artificial sweeteners, high levels of salt, and oils. Yes, add that TO fried foods, and you're talking an entire nation capable of populating a new planet named "Jenny Craig".

Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,719,806 times
Yeh, as the map obove shows my Okies are ranking right there with our Texas and Arkie buddies. Oklahoma is tied for 8th....whew hew!!!

Fattest States 2008: The CalorieLab United States of Obesity Rankings (Obesity by State)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,133,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
Yeh, as the map obove shows my Okies are ranking right there with our Texas and Arkie buddies. Oklahoma is tied for 8th....whew hew!!!
Hey Sooner, I thought you might get a chuckle out of this link:

Oklahoma citizens’ diets sabotaged by “official state meal” of chicken fried steak and pecan pie

This article was written last year when these "fattest states" figures came out, but the theme of it could just have easily been written for these latest ones.

Anyway, it comes down to that if Oklahomans' want to lose weight and lower their rank in the survey....then they would do well to avoid the official state meal! LOL I thought that was an amusing paradox!

Here is the Oklahoma state meal as declared by the legislature in 1988:

Fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas.

Ol' buddy? I don't care WHAT the food police say...this is makin' me hungry! I am jealous Texas didn't think of it first! LOL

Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,038,552 times
THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN - Their health insurance rates.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,460,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Oklahoma citizens’ diets sabotaged by “official state meal” of chicken fried steak and pecan pie

This article was written last year when these "fattest states" figures came out, but the theme of it could just have easily been written for these latest ones.

Anyway, it comes down to that if Oklahomans' want to lose weight and lower their rank in the survey....then they would do well to avoid the official state meal! LOL I thought that was an amusing paradox!

Fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas.

Ol' buddy? I don't care WHAT the food police say...this is makin' me hungry! I am jealous Texas didn't think of it first! LOL
Sounds like Oklahoma could just as easily be considered Far North Texas.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:42 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,719,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

ROTFLOL....I read the article and Mick Cornett, mayor of OK City, wants Okies to lose a million pounds?!?! Fat chance Mick! (no pun intended)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or