U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:05 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,819 times

Advertisements

Thank god New Mexico isnt a bad fat state ...and Colorado..gosh a bunch of fit people

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,787,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And there are many poor people in Mississippi and cheap food is often fattening. Plus with some poor people eating is the only pleasure besides sex they can afford.

Don't begrudge the poor what pleasures they can take, someday you may be called on account in front of St. Peter---"Oh yeah, you're the guy with the BMW who shopped at Whole Foods and resented the meagar pleasures the poor could afford. Tell ya what, we can give you a nice work-out down in Hell leaping through the flames, go down there and enjoy yourself".
Isn't gluttony a sin? In any event, so long as they do not receive any form of publicly assisted health care, I suppose I don't care... but unfortunately they do, so I do care. It is about respect for oneself. If you don't respect yourself, you are less likely to pursue an education, less likely to take care of your body, more likely to get a tatoo, more likely to do drugs, more likely to drink too much, etc. No need for fairy tales to enter into the equation- the south has a higher % of lazy losers.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:23 PM

149 posts, read 667,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I see West Virginia is # 5, but you couldn't tell it from my family, who are usually lean, wiry and long-lived. I am 58 and still have one grandmother, 97. My other grandmother passed away a few years ago at 96. Both of them fried everything in bacon fat, kept in a can on the stove. Biscuits & gravy, fried chicken, cornbread, green beans & potatoes cooked for hours, and sometimes home-made crackling. My grandfathers lasted into their mid-80s, and they were rail-thin. And I take after them, 6 foot & 170 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I believe much of it has to do with processed food, Bobilee.

I'm originally from West Virginia. It is only for the most part the "post 1970s" generations that are overweight in large numbers there, now. My parents were also height/weight proportionate, but when they were younger they didn't have processed cheese spread, Little Debbie snack cakes, Sodas with high fructose corn syrup, etc. They are "natural" food, and any sweets were home made with just plain old sugar and flour - nothing processed, squeezed, or "simulated".

Today's generation (at least here in the U.S.) for the most part eats very little real food. Much of what many of us stick in our mouths has been processed to the point of only LOOKING like food, with much of the rest being artificial sweeteners, high levels of salt, and oils. Yes, add that TO fried foods, and you're talking an entire nation capable of populating a new planet named "Jenny Craig".
Spot on. It's not fat in foods itself that makes people overweight. The culprit is junk food. Both the North and the South in the past had diets that were rich and hearty. In the north this was often from dairy: milk, cream, butter and cheese. Southern food used a lot of grease in their cooking. Yet obesity has only become an epidemic within the last few decades.

To be specific, I call junk food that which is high in refined sugar or corn syrup, refined carbohydrates, and processed fats like trans fat. I think the South is more vulnerable to the effects of junk food because they have many poor people who can only afford these cheap food substitutes.

Just like bobileee, I too am tall and thin, and yet I never skimp on fat in cooking. I eat plenty of eggs, cheese, bacon and other animal foods in addition to fruits and vegetables. And I am more healthy now than anyone else I know. I just make an effort to never eat packaged processesed foods.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,161,502 times
So true. "eating" is like a pastime is the south. Good food too. I like it. People tend to be more sedentary-not as active. not that much "get up and go" either.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,293,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Wow it looks like all the fattest states are in the South! I am with Irishtom, cheap food is the fattiest (I will never understand why) and that is what the poor has no choice but to eat.
It has to be more of a socioeconomic issue that a regional cuisine issue.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:02 PM

149 posts, read 667,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hey Sooner, I thought you might get a chuckle out of this link:

Oklahoma citizens’ diets sabotaged by “official state meal” of chicken fried steak and pecan pie

This article was written last year when these "fattest states" figures came out, but the theme of it could just have easily been written for these latest ones.

Anyway, it comes down to that if Oklahomans' want to lose weight and lower their rank in the survey....then they would do well to avoid the official state meal! LOL I thought that was an amusing paradox!

Here is the Oklahoma state meal as declared by the legislature in 1988:

Fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas.

Ol' buddy? I don't care WHAT the food police say...this is makin' me hungry! I am jealous Texas didn't think of it first! LOL
That's quite a lot for just one meal. I wonder why they didn't designate those as state dishes seperately.

I have always heard that it is common in the South for people to eat at buffet-style restaurants (Golden Corral, CiCi's Pizza, Souplantation, etc). Maybe a big part of the problem lies with portion sizes.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,914 times
^Down south that wouldn't be a daily meal, more like a "Sunday spread" for a special occasion, like a holiday or family get-together. You're right about portion sizes, though. They can be HUGE.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:14 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
^Down south that wouldn't be a daily meal, more like a Sunday spread, or special occasion dinner for a holiday or family get-together.
VERY good point, Houstoner. And also, this "official meal" was a legislative act mainly intended to reflect on the state's heritage and culture, and even be a bit entertaining. NOT what most people eat every day of their lives. Kinda like, I would imagine, the state of Maine lists "lobsters" and Maryland "crabs" or whatever in other states that have such an officially declared "dish" or "meal".

But I STILL gotta admit it makes me hungry as hell! And hurry up Sunday in the South! LOL

Sooner, my friend? You Okies did the South proud on this un!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-18-2008 at 03:35 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 03:44 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,685,459 times
Default donut city

One thing that I know everybody seems hooked on around here (shreveport) are a certain brand of donut which is a local business that has spread out to other places. These are deep fat fried and glazed, some with chocalate. I see a box of these everywhere I go, like church. Can't think of anything worse for the body, but sugar and fat appeal to the primal insticts of man. But southern people need to ask themselves if there is really a need for so much sugar and fat here in this warm to hot climate. I don't think they will since MFS's are stubborn to boot. MFS is my fellow southerners, for the record

Old 07-18-2008, 03:48 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,614,547 times
yea, food is a very important part of southern culture, you often see "southern-style" this and that, the food is great there though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or