U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
But those donuts are pure evil. The heroin of foods. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
There ya go, my friend. I like your attitude and a good sense of humor! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:49 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,613,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL In Texas, being a bit of the "wilder country cousin" of our more genteel kinfolk in the eastern South, we also fry jalepeno peppers!
WOW. How's that possible??. I like me some fried green tomatoes with ranch....yuummm

Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,252,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Sounds like Oklahoma could just as easily be considered Far North Texas.
Oklahoma is only good for a Texas anchor, to keep Texas from sliding into the gulf. Hold on!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,252,546 times
I swanee, I just don't understand the infatuation (pun intended) of damnyankees and other inbreds with the physical conditions of Southerners. It's as if them damnyankees and other inbreds don't have a clue as to what real, I repeat REAL food is, and even if they have an inkling (maybe they've been to Cracker Barrel?) they cannot get beyond the bland, tasteless foods they have as staples, rather to chastise Southerners who know how to cook, and yep, know how to eat. Man, I am happy as a pig in slop that all y'all just stay the hell up nawth, feeling yo' bones through the skin every time you got an itch.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:13 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,086,134 times
I suspect the climate also plays a role in the wider girths of the populace of the South. Here in KC I find I have very little incentive to do anything other than walk during the Summer because it is too damn hot and humid to truly exercise. The end result is that this region has plenty of lard laden lads and lasses and portly parental units.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 07-18-2008 at 08:21 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 08:48 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I swanee, I just don't understand the infatuation (pun intended) of damnyankees and other inbreds with the physical conditions of Southerners. It's as if them damnyankees and other inbreds don't have a clue as to what real, I repeat REAL food is, and even if they have an inkling (maybe they've been to Cracker Barrel?) they cannot get beyond the bland, tasteless foods they have as staples, rather to chastise Southerners who know how to cook, and yep, know how to eat. Man, I am happy as a pig in slop that all y'all just stay the hell up nawth, feeling yo' bones through the skin every time you got an itch.
You go, buddy! Right on!

After reading your great post, I got to thinkin' a bit about the spread that would be there in colorful and steaming glory at one of our ol' fat Southern gatherings as compared to the offerings that might be displayed by those who seem to make it their business to critisize it.

Wellll, as I see it. For Us? As you put it pure and sweet...REAL food (fried chicken, chicken fried steak, catfish, black-eyed peas, cornbread, okra, and etc, etc,) will be spread out and y'all dig in! Tater salad and cole slaw and deviled eggs! Pickled okra. Pecan pie and peach cobbler.... The plates ain't even big enough to fit it all in...

On the opposite table? The offering will be sterlized spinach, tofu burgers, and endive salad (no dressing...it might have some fat in it).

Dig in, y'all! Hee Hee

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-18-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 PM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Its interesting the regional differences in the maps. I think the West is healthy because there are so many outdoors activities and the outdoors is a major part of the culture especially in places like Colorado, Nevada and Utah. I don't think anything really explains the South being fattest. People mention economics but thats based on income and the cost of living in many southern states is also low. There is a LOT of visible poverty in the Northeast, the Midwest and California especially in urban areas. While its regional food may be "unhealthy" (though indeed it is delicious....and I love sweet tea more than green tea to the chagrin of my Asian American family ) our nation is so connected now that people of every region eat foods of other regions. I'm in Maryland, which is only sorta kinda South and a lot of ppl love fried chicken, sweet tea, fried fish, etc. I know I like these things more than I should, but at the same time I spend a lot of time running, swimming and going to the gym.

I have a friend who lives out in Nevada and he says the women there are much more beautiful because the warm weather allows for more outdoors activities and also with hot weather ppl wear skimpier clothes and thus are more motivated to stay fit. Las Vegas is a very suburban designed and very unwalkable city but a lot of people have pools in their yards and there are a lot of fitness centers as is the case for usual suburbia. I'm surprised states like Minnesota and Wisconsin didn't rank high because I personally find myself eating more in the winter and exercising less in the winter too (no jogging outdoors in the cold).

Time magazine did a survey of individual CITIES (vs states) once and Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland, and Chicago ranked pretty high. I don't think Philly cheesecakes (another thing I love too much) are much healthier, and crabs, seafood and beer are integral to the culture of Baltimore. New York is famous for its pizzas and hot dogs as is Chicago.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,923,527 times
Many are just lazy and have very poor dietary habits and generally lack any standards in which a normal person would apply to themselves in the way of dressing, acting and generally taking care of themselves.

I see them everyday wobbling their fat asses to walmart and loading up on the most disgusting food in the world then screaming its normal to be 5'6" and weigh 350lbs.

It has nothing to do with income, just attitude.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM

104 posts, read 220,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Its interesting the regional differences in the maps. I think the West is healthy because there are so many outdoors activities and the outdoors is a major part of the culture especially in places like Colorado, Nevada and Utah. I don't think anything really explains the South being fattest. People mention economics but thats based on income and the cost of living in many southern states is also low.
Like I said before, BMI. I don't think it explains all the disparity, but it does add to it. BMI measures "healthiness" use weight and height, alone. It does nor measure body fat. It assumes a non-bodybuilder lifestyle. The thing is, that different racial groups lean toward different numbers for obesity/overweight. From, what I can tell, this assumes the American standard AKA Caucasian.
Body mass index skews analyses
Thus, there is a possibility that, by using BMI, some people are incorrectly categorized, primarily African Americans.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,923,527 times
No one needs a fancy little chart to even see it, anyone can take a tour through the states and see where the most fatties reside.

I for one could care less about the BMI chart, it is a false chart anyway and should not be used because it does not take many things into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or